IGNORED

hardware is so passé

BCM

I'm selling all my shit (nord modular included) except for my 101. I could honestly give a fuck about music these days. The 101 is a pure joy to play with an analog delay. I'd keep my octave cat but it's too big and the key scaling is ass. Not worth the hassle although it has one of the thickest and craziest sounds form any analog synth I've ever toyed with. If I could gut it into a rack I'd keep it, but I'm not going to do that.

Synthesizers are just fun. Music can fuck off atm.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kxta

dont sell it man - its great when you re-ignite the flames of passion - i've had loads of old stuff for years and not touched it - one day you get it out and get so excited again! if you dont need the dosh and have the space, keep it, thats my advice. having said that i admire you for going into the software realm so head on - i wish i had the balls to do it but i'm too scared of change. when people say your tracks are gonna be digital and lifeless they are wrong, they only sound like that if you are sloppy and don't care. if you want them to sound organic then you know what to do :smile:

It's a g2x with teh gooseneck.

I actually don't think I'll ever sell it I was being somewhat trollish in the above post but the sarcasm didn't come across the correct way.

I've often thought about messing it up really bad so that no one will ever buy it so I can never be tempted to sell it.

That said i really do want to get rid of all my stuff, but I can't decide what to do about the nord. It's too awesome. Actually i can't decide what to do abotu anything. some days i get a feeling of pure awesomeness playign with synths, but others i'm like meh.

I hate making music right now. I'm moody as hell with music making if you can't tell :) it's a curse really.

It's a g2x with teh gooseneck.

I actually don't think I'll ever sell it I was being somewhat trollish in the above post but the sarcasm didn't come across the correct way.

I've often thought about messing it up really bad so that no one will ever buy it so I can never be tempted to sell it.

That said i really do want to get rid of all my stuff, but I can't decide what to do about the nord. It's too awesome. Actually i can't decide what to do abotu anything. some days i get a feeling of pure awesomeness playign with synths, but others i'm like meh.

I hate making music right now. I'm moody as hell with music making if you can't tell :) it's a curse really.

I've been there. Please, lock your studio and make no decisions about selling gear until the funk has passed. It will pass.

Guest hahathhat

with hardware you can be all like huuRRRAAJKDN,snfsl,f WHAM WHAM WHAM and it comes out as music. the computer just opens a start menu or empties the recycle bin or some shit. not satisfying at all

hehe when I was a kid that was my method to start up a (random) game on our Commodore 64 :sorcerer:

btw I used to own a DSI Evolver, I sold it to buy some decent speakers, but yeah of course I want a poly evolver or something.. or something modular.

everyone wants a modular.. it's like playing with lego and doing music.

Evolvers are awesome classy instruments. And also nasty dirty filthy instruments. The desktop evolver has a very very painful interface, but the others are pure win/sex. I was going to get a poly evolver but caught a good deal on the octave cat so I couldn't resist that.

Highly recommend evolvers...but not for emulating vintage synths, though it certainly can, just has a certain sound that's going to make you come up a lil short unless you aren't using any res. then you're usually fine that 12db filter is a monster.

I've been there. Please, lock your studio and make no decisions about selling gear until the funk has passed. It will pass.

:cisfor:

I know. I think. I don't know. But thx :wub:

If nothing else just looking at the g2x is an accomplishment sense I had been dying for a g2 ever since the first teaser on clavia's website (which was well orchestrated). At lest I can say I finally got the top of the line, and have used it.

That said I think I have about maybe 5 (five) patches in the g2x at the moment that are actual playable (tonally in regards to scales). All the rest are crazy noodley alien awesomeness and processing.

The g2 is worth it for the comb filter alone tbh. And just being able to map all the fx and process stuff like that.

with hardware you can be all like huuRRRAAJKDN,snfsl,f WHAM WHAM WHAM and it comes out as music. the computer just opens a start menu or empties the recycle bin or some shit. not satisfying at all

agree

^

this is why i got a controller keyboard with pleanty of knobs, sliders and drum pads. as long as I've got a bit of hands-on action, i don't really care how the sounds are generated (at this time). i was much too hung up on hardware (ideally analogue hardware) being the only way to go in terms of depth of sound and expessiveness, but i'm over that now. i've realised all that was bollocks stemming from my wanting to be like teh afex twins and my love of the analord and tuss stuff. i am not aphex twin, haven't got his money, haven't got his space and haven't got his time. for me, the quickness and simplicity of the DAW/softsynth approach is really beneficial and to my ears, improves my music.

Guest John T Chance

I think for me I'm just enjoying the ease of use and simplicity of having everything in one box...I hate clutter and did sometimes get frustrated with all the buggering around with leads and stuff. dunno, I love my gear really and I'm sure it will be in use again at some point, just liking the change I guess.

variety is the spice of life, Couple of months doing one thing then back to the other, Keeps my mind fresh for sure.

Guest John T Chance

lol yeah, look out for my "software is so passé" thread in six months.

He He ;)

if the current evolver editor is still that dreadful soundtower thing, well....it can eat a gigantic waffle filled with cream of hate.

Never tried that one, but I had my hopes up for this software: http://ctrlr.org/ never worked for me, but maybe it does now. looks pretty decent.

if the current evolver editor is still that dreadful soundtower thing, well....it can eat a gigantic waffle filled with cream of hate.

Never tried that one, but I had my hopes up for this software: http://ctrlr.org/ never worked for me, but maybe it does now. looks pretty decent.

Yeah... DSI is still using the terrible SoundTower peice of shit. I found a nice template for my BCR-2000 for hands-on control of my Tetr4. Plus I got some help in making a nice M4L device for automation within live (a javascript that converts normal MIDI messages to NRPN data that the Tetr4 uses). It took a bit of work getting it up and running, but it's great now that it works properly!

edit: Nice forum/resource for the DSI owners out there. http://dsiforum.org/

Archived