IGNORED

Louis Theroux - Miami Mega Jail

spratters

This is one to watch tonight. Tune in.

Louis Theroux examines life in Miami County Jail, where most of the inmates are awaiting trial. He begins by exploring the large cage-like dwellings on the fifth and sixth floor, which are home to many of the most volatile prisoners. The inmates' lives are governed by a gladiatorial code, leading to fights for food and status - a situation the guards say they are powerless to address.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWsg044fmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGnfEisdBBw&NR=1

Guest Coalbucket PI

I liked the guy near the start who explained 'the paint' (sort of) and kept saying 'you get you a top rack'. I missed the last couple of minutes, was there any indication of what the second part will be about?

I liked the guy near the start who explained 'the paint' (sort of) and kept saying 'you get you a top rack'. I missed the last couple of minutes, was there any indication of what the second part will be about?

Death Row, and the youth system apparently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011qd97

Love that picture!

Guest disparaissant

that was p. good, as usual

i think my favourite bit was just that random guy being dragged down the hall quoting twain.

"If you want to see the dregs of society, go down to the jail and watch the changing of the guard."

Guest AcrossCanyons

iplayer or it's up on youtube if you have any troubles with iplayer.

very good, missed it on tv but caught it almost straight after on youtube. looking forward to part 2.

Guest Gary C

Aye, I watched in on iPlayer this morning. One of his better "investigations".

At first I felt bad for that little guy with glasses. Although it seemed as though nothing happened during the documentary, I'd guess the other inmates keep his type in a perpetual state of fear and buggery until he cracks and commits suicide/becomes an exagerratedly homosexual fuck-toy-bitch.

During his final interview he didn't seem to be wired properly though. Either the stress of his situation had warped him or he clearly wasn't wrapped too tight in the first place.

Guest AcrossCanyons

That little dude looks like he will snap and kill everybody in his cell and become the prison overlord.

cant wait to watch it

from the nytimes

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Indeed, the United States leads the world in producing prisoners, a reflection of a relatively recent and now entirely distinctive American approach to crime and punishment. Americans are locked up for crimes — from writing bad checks to using drugs — that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations.

Criminologists and legal scholars in other industrialized nations say they are mystified and appalled by the number and length of American prison sentences.

The United States has, for instance, 2.3 million criminals behind bars, more than any other nation, according to data maintained by the International Center for Prison Studies at King's College London.

China, which is four times more populous than the United States, is a distant second, with 1.6 million people in prison. (That number excludes hundreds of thousands of people held in administrative detention, most of them in China's extrajudicial system of re-education through labor, which often singles out political activists who have not committed crimes.)

San Marino, with a population of about 30,000, is at the end of the long list of 218 countries compiled by the center. It has a single prisoner.

The United States comes in first, too, on a more meaningful list from the prison studies center, the one ranked in order of the incarceration rates. It has 751 people in prison or jail for every 100,000 in population. (If you count only adults, one in 100 Americans is locked up.)

The only other major industrialized nation that even comes close is Russia, with 627 prisoners for every 100,000 people. The others have much lower rates. England's rate is 151; Germany's is 88; and Japan's is 63.

The median among all nations is about 125, roughly a sixth of the American rate.

Guest tht tne

from the nytimes

San Marino, with a population of about 30,000, is at the end of the long list of 218 countries compiled by the center. It has a single prisoner.

Keanu-Reeves-in-Bill-and--001.jpg

just tell yourself those statistics are only so because of all those pesky black people, then you'd have a lot more in common with the mentality of average middle class suburbia

Guest tht tne

if i wasnt such a pussy id off myself...i cannot stand reading shit like this

what to do about it?

start a podcast

just tell yourself those statistics are only so because of all those pesky black people, then you'd have a lot more in common with the mentality of average middle class suburbia

Archived