IGNORED

facebook gets boring

o00o

you think it's ok and perfectly reasonable to be jailed for four years for posting an event in facebook?

i think if you're stupid enough to try and incite a riot during a time like that, then you deserve what's coming to you.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i think thats completely reasonable, i was actually online as it was posted and the guy was a fucking muppet.

inciting riots while the capital city is in chaos because of them is just idiotic behaviour.

guy said it was a joke and apologised for being stupid.

if you think being crass on a social network means you have to spend four years in jail then I don't really know what to say.

a little common sense never hurt anyone. the people that have been arrested just got a 4 year dose of it, due to their inability to gauge the seriousness of the situation.

i wonder if you'll end up like them?

as far as the four years goes thats pretty stupid, but actually getting punished is reasonable.

also, when it first started, it didnt seem like he was joking atall, it was only once people pointed out to him that it was actually illegal that he changed his tune and started saying it was a joke

a little common sense never hurt anyone. the people that have been arrested just got a 4 year dose of it, due to their inability to gauge the seriousness of the situation.

both of you live in UK and I respect that but you are losing perspective.

I don't understand what do you mean by that other than it sounds vaguely threatening and condescending. Fuck you.

both of you live in UK and I respect that but you are losing perspective.

I don't understand what do you mean by that other than it sounds vaguely threatening and condescending. Fuck you.

i think you're the one that doesn't understand.

and yes i'm being condescending. you are a bit slow.

as far as the four years goes thats pretty stupid, but actually getting punished is reasonable.

this. I'm not a lawyer and don't know what's the punishment for inciting riots but it can't possibly be four years. This sends a scary message and it's probably ruining the life of these kids.

this. I'm not a lawyer and don't know what's the punishment for inciting riots but it can't possibly be four years. This sends a scary message and it's probably ruining the life of these kids.

it obviously is 4 years, since that is the sentence they got.

It's sort of like potential employers looking people up after an interview to see all of these drunken partying pictures of them doing bonghits and triple kisses with fugly bitches and deciding not to hire them. Expect worse punishments for joking about inciting riots... during a destructive and expensive riot. It's your choice what to put on your Facebook or whether to have one at all. Facebook at your own risk. :spiteful:

To be blunt.

It's sort of like potential employers looking people up after an interview to see all of these drunken partying pictures of them doing bonghits and triple kisses with fugly bitches and deciding not to hire them. Expect worse punishments for joking about inciting riots... during a destructive and expensive riot. It's your choice what to put on your Facebook or whether to have one at all. Facebook at your own risk. :spiteful:

To be blunt.

Actually, I have to disagree. While the incitement to riot posts are ridiculous and could have proved very dangerous (much as it is illegal to yell "fire" in a movie theatre), I do not believe that an employer should be able to base their assessment of you based on activities that you do off the job. If your performance at work starts to suffer because of those activities, then obviously you should be warned because of that lack of performance (or fired due to repeated fuck-ups).

To be blunt.

Actually, I have to disagree. While the incitement to riot posts are ridiculous and could have proved very dangerous (much as it is illegal to yell "fire" in a movie theatre), I do not believe that an employer should be able to base their assessment of you based on activities that you do off the job. If your performance at work starts to suffer because of those activities, then obviously you should be warned because of that lack of performance (or fired due to repeated fuck-ups).

unfortunately, people are prejudiced. is it right that a person go to an interview, do the interview extremely well, but be turned down because they have noticeable piercing marks on their lip and nose from piercings that they wear during personal time?

of course it's not right. but it happens.

oscillik:

You write like you have perfect knowledge of British law concerning 20 year old kids inciting riots in facebook as a joke so I guess I will leave it at that, but the punishment is still horribly disproportionate. It must be cool to be in a position of such smug superiority that you don't flinch for a second calling people you don't know slow over the Internet and rejoicing in how the state ruins the lives of those less intelligent and cultured as you are.

oscillik:

You write like you have perfect knowledge of British law concerning 20 year old kids inciting riots in facebook as a joke so I guess I will leave it at that, but the punishment is still horribly disproportionate. It must be cool to be in a position of such smug superiority that you don't flinch for a second calling people you don't know slow over the Internet and rejoicing in how the state ruins the lives of those less intelligent and cultured as you are.

lol

just lol

i do not write like i have perfect knowledge of British law. i write like that's how it is. maybe things are done differently in your country? maybe you eat eels in your food? maybe you spell colour without the u?

if you think it is fine to just blurt out whatever you like, without any common sense and consideration as to how your words will be construed and without responsibility for those words, then be prepared to one day receive a nice fist in the face from someone you have offended. or maybe worse.

i say these words with complete understanding that i come across as a cunt.

maybe you eat eels in your food? maybe you spell colour without the u?

Spoken like a true Englishman.

I was sick of a lot of the bullshit posts from people I don't like on facebook, so I deleted all but 55 of my friends. But now, it's just boring. It's nice to stay connected to those I don't normally see, but in the end, I just don't care.

To be blunt.

unfortunately, people are prejudiced. is it right that a person go to an interview, do the interview extremely well, but be turned down because they have noticeable piercing marks on their lip and nose from piercings that they wear during personal time?

of course it's not right. but it happens.

Well, if you're gonna get into corporate culture, you gotta play the game a little. To be honest, depending on the type of firm I ran, I wouldn't hire people with multiple face piercings either, because social perception of your firm is important.

Luckily with facebook now, you can set the privacy settings so that people who don't have permission can't see all the bong hits. If they ask for permission, get the fuck out of that interview.

Colour without a "u"? How provincial.

I don't understand how having your conversations with friends being recorded 24/7 by the government isn't scary to most people.

i don't think that people who organized the event had enough intelligence to hide it or their convos from public, i doubt the police had to go full 1984 to bust those fools.

To be blunt.

I was being the devil's advocate with that post and I actually agree with your response, but these are things that happen and you have to take them into consideration whether or not you agree with it. There are plenty of stories of peoples' Facebook accounts fucking them over. Smoking marijuana a couple nights a week won't affect my job performance, but I'll take a break when applying for jobs just in case there is a pre-employment drug test so I can actually get a job. A lot of things are unfair, but it's best to pick your battles and just NOT get any shit over something easily avoided.

if you think it is fine to just blurt out whatever you like, without any common sense and consideration as to how your words will be construed and without responsibility for those words, then be prepared to one day receive a nice fist in the face from someone you have offended. or maybe worse.

i say these words with complete understanding that i come across as a cunt.

perfectly true, regardless of the situation at hand....

• 3 weeks later...

guy at wrrk was saying he quit his facebook (after someone said they unintentionally woke up an hour early and spent the hour on facebook), "i must be the only person in the world to quit facebook! that's how much i hate facebook, i quit!" .. nobody really responded and then he said "all these businesses keep asking for your personal details and then they send you stuff.".. someone replied "i haven't given my details to businesses. i use it to look at my families photos and stuff.". hmmmm

Archived