IGNORED

Shabazz Palaces - Black Up

markedone

The first album from Seattle rap group Shabazz Palaces is coming out June 28th, lets get some buzz/ discussion going for this!!

Everything I've heard is incredibly fresh and inventive, and its good to hear voice of 'Butterfly' from Digable Planets rapping in a new context.

Click through for more release info:
black-up-shabazz-palaces.jpg?w=413&h=590

And go HERE (npr) to stream the full album!

Or just listen to this particularly fresh track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbnYw-TgnE

I'm incredibly surprised this hasn't had more buzz around these parts. I've listened to most of the tracks, and its honestly like Autechre went and made a rap album, the beats are weird as hell but always super dank.

This album is too dank to slip under watmm's radar

This joint is a prime example why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoBIQWS5bs

The main piano sample is really infectious, then the way the strings/piano/synth melodies all converge at 3:17 is supremely beautiful, possibly my favorite moment on the album

Black Up is out today! I picked up the record from my shop, all 90's like.

im a bit disappointed in your lack of interest watmm.. this album is one of the freshest, most inventive albums to grace my ears in years.

The album has a great arc to it, starts off sprinting with the bombastic chaos of 'free press and curl', and ends on a particularly epic note with 'Swerve'. That last one is still my favorite track, its just perfect throughout.

Those 2 tracks in particular really remind me of Autechre's Move of Ten. The sharp stabs of 'free press and curl' are akin to Etchogon-S and 'Swerve' is more of a chill-epic than Cep puiqMX's apocalyptic-epic.

:sup: im from seattle

school pulls me elsewhere. still consider seattle my home though

I'll be picking up this LP once my record store gets it in, I made sure with dat special order

And for the record, the Ishmael (sorry.. Palaceer Lazaro) delivers the lyric 'Clear some space out, So we can space out' STILL gets stuck in my head.. weeks later

Oooh, been listening to this so much. The LP doesn't look at all like that picture up top, it looks like this:

S.P.BlackUpVinyl.jpg

The material around the text is like.. some kind of super soft, almost velvety paper. Really slick package. The back says "Black Up" in similar style to the front, and the red inner sleeve has the tracks printed in this crazy typography. I'll try to take a picture of it when I have time, but I'm currently in transition between houses.. busy times

Guest AcrossCanyons

yeah that packaging is really nice looking. would love it if you could get pics of the rest. real dope release too. wish i had the money to pick up the physical.

this album is killer. wow, i have been spending lots of time with it the last couple days. really freakin good. i think im going to have to buy this.

wow, i have been spending lots of time with it the last couple days. really freakin good.

i do say.. it took me by storm as well!

have some pics of that funky typography

post-6699-0-88802900-1309908124_thumb.jpg

post-6699-0-58168300-1309908135_thumb.jpg

nice. i looked up their other ep's and they have real nice artwork too. looks like they sewed patches onto cardboard sleeves. everything about this project is very refreshing. thanks for pushing this on here, it was the tipping point for me to check this out and i am oh so glad i did.

• 2 weeks later...

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Are you.. Can you.. Were you (felt)

fuck... i'm going to say it now, easily one of if not the top track i've heard in the last.. 5 years or so. The production is just perfect, starting with the symphony of bass and swirling tones. And then those first notes of the beat, when it teases you with the chords, and the kicks come after.. jizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bump. this album has blown my mind multiple times the last few weeks. simply outstanding, freshest hip hop in a good while. First the sound design, then the subtle melodies, then the beats, and now the lyrics which i cant get out of my head - this album has it all.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Are you.. Can you.. Were you (felt)

fuck... i'm going to say it now, easily one of if not the top track i've heard in the last.. 5 years or so. The production is just perfect, starting with the symphony of bass and swirling tones. And then those first notes of the beat, when it teases you with the chords, and the kicks come after.. jizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tell me about it! I love rediscovering how fucking awesome these guys are every time I revisit their stuff. The self-titled EP is insane, and Black up is super deep. I heard they're working on another album!

Archived