IGNORED

Legal music purchase/download sites

xfxf

I used to use eMusic years ago, but I've gotten lazy/too busy/whatever lately and been relying on a mix of mail-ordering CD's and ripping them to using iTunes to buy stuff. I feel like I'm still living in 2004.

Are there better options out there, particularly if it's IDM/ambient/drone orientated, or is iTunes still pretty much the best thing around at the moment?

edit: and I just realised I probably posted this in the wrong section. oops.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Bleep or Boomkat normally cut it, I always search the label of the particular release I'm after and see if I can buy it directly because it's often cheaper and I presume more of the money is going to the right people.

I think emusic is still pretty good for ambient/drone although i do have an old subscription account which still gives me £28 worth of downloads for just £12 which i dont think they do anymore.

I like browsing the user lists and reccomendations on emusic too, i would have never found half the shit i have otherwise.

For higher res mp3's/flac then Bleep is the first port of call and occasionally Boomkat.

For CD's Boomkat, Bleep and Earational

I avoid iTunes like the plaugue unless there's something really exclusive i cant get anywhere else.

I stupidly cancelled my eMusic subscription a little while back as I was forgetting to use it; can't sign back up now because it's not available in Australia - stupid region licencing restrictions.

Some of those links look good - thanks guys. I don't like iTunes either - but it seems to be the easiest option sometimes! :(

Guest Coalbucket PI

I bought an EP off iTunes while I was on the crapper once but I think they take a huge percentage, and that sort of ruins the point of going legit

I bought an EP off iTunes while I was on the crapper once but I think they take a huge percentage, and that sort of ruins the point of going legit

i believe its 70/30. 30% going to iTunes

Although they haven't got the best selection, the new Beatport Beta is great! I use it a lot for my dancemusic related purchases.

For most other stuff I use Boomkat and some Bleep.

I seem to remember moodgadget or someone saying that iTunes are quite reasonable towards smaller labels.

Archived