IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

Started my paleolithic diet recently,..... chicken and fish and veggies, near ketogenic levels of carbohydrates. I feel incredibly healthy this way, carbohydrates make me feel like shit.

Also down to 16% body fat and 220lbs so thats a plus...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

I love eggs personally, never seem to tire of them ever.. I could eat plain boiled eggs several times a day and still never get sick of them.

Though if I had a choice i'd be eating steaks, bone broth, and some grass-fed cow organs.. That gets rather expensive though, even with supermarket meat. Currently i'm budgeting insanely hard to save as much money as possible for my new home, thus eggs and tubers it is..

2 cartons of 660 mg omega 3 christopher's eggs from kroger = $3.70

10 lb bag of potatoes = between $2.50 and $5.00 depending on the cultivar

ill make both last me for a few days.. not bad! this isn't including my fruit costs though, and I consume roughly a pound of Kerrygold butter per week.

as far as ideal supermarket meat is concerned, fatty cuts of red meat are not bad because ruminant animals don't produce insane amounts of polyunsaturate fat when fed grain. unfortunately pig and chicken fat gets out of control with PUFAs on their grain/soy diets.. so if I buy pork or chicken from Kroger it's almost always a very lean cut. to the Kerrygold it goes!

Guest fiznuthian

8 eggs a day!

maybe i should eat more eggs

im too poor for protein shakes. that shit is mad expensive. I am certain that a good intake of peanuts and meat will suffice though I am concerned about eating too much red meat

I do wonder about this.. How cost effective are whey protein mixtures compared to eating animal meats? Obviously meat is nutrient dense whereas a lot of protein shake products are questionable.. i've seen some though that surprised me with their list of ingredients, i'd almost drink one after a work-out maybe. But for the price? Hm.. If I really need to cram some protein I usually buy a lot of lean chicken meat on manager's special or something.. i'll easily consume over a pound of meat in one sitting, costing approximately 3-6 dollars USD. It's not uncommon for me to eat several 3-packs of water canned tuna in one sitting after a good lift..

Cancelled my gym membership temporarily though :( budgeting mega hard for my new place and to begin classes again.

8 eggs a day!

im too poor for protein shakes. that shit is mad expensive. I am certain that a good intake of peanuts and meat will suffice though I am concerned about eating too much red meat

I do wonder about this.. How cost effective are whey protein mixtures compared to eating animal meats? Obviously meat is nutrient dense whereas a lot of protein shake products are questionable.. i've seen some though that surprised me with their list of ingredients, i'd almost drink one after a work-out maybe. But for the price? Hm.. If I really need to cram some protein I usually buy a lot of lean chicken meat on manager's special or something.. i'll easily consume over a pound of meat in one sitting, costing approximately 3-6 dollars USD. It's not uncommon for me to eat several 3-packs of water canned tuna in one sitting after a good lift..

Cancelled my gym membership temporarily though :( budgeting mega hard for my new place and to begin classes again.

I tend to think there might be some limitations on whole food proteins regarding bioavailability due to hormones and other additives PLUS the actual physical breaking it down.

I have literally no scientific evidence or studies to back any of this up... but I find that high quality protein supplements and even some pre/post workout products actually work. Some products are complete shit and do absolutely nothing. But I have had substantial gains switching to a pre/intra and post workout supplement strategy that involves a lot of shitty unhealthy chemicals! Obviously basic knowledge of biochemistry helps you develop your strategy a little better. For example different proteins have different bio-availability etc. As an example whey protein isolate is easier absorbed than say casein or other sources of protein. So you want to use an isolate first thing in the morning or right after your workout. A blend is better as a meal replacement or to combine with your post workout drink for a better absorption tail.

My current supp strategy seems to be working. Muscles are bigger, ridiculously hard, and I have had great strength gains (granted it's hard to tell how much the supps are responsible for... )

Pre workout: VPX Friction (simple product that gets you jacked up and increases perpetual pump!), 1 pill Purple K PH Correct creatine

Intra workout: VPX Power Shock with a half a scoop of VPX NO Synthesize

Post Workout 1: 1/2 teaspoon VPX L Glutamine with half a scoop of VPX NO Synthesize

Post workout 2: (Sorry VPX....) 1 scoop Gaspari Intrapro, Half a scoop of Gaspari Myofusion, 3/4 scoop VPX Fiberteq, 1/2 teaspoon VPX L Glutamine

Post workout 3: 1 Pill Purple K PH Correct creatine

My strip set curls have gone from 40lbs, 30lbs, 22.5lbs, 15lbs (10 reps each, 5 second rest between sets), to 57.5lbs, 47.5lbs, 37.5lbs, 27.5lbs (8 reps each, 5 second rest between sets) in like... 2 weeks.

/rant

Man I can't wait to get back to school so I can start using the gym there again. Being a broke-ass underemployed student sucks.

Push-ups/sit-ups only get you so far.

Anyways - morning workout today

3 sets of 20 x wide-armed push-ups, 10 x tricep pushups (hands form triangle in front of the face), 10 x clap push-ups.

1 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of 20 crunches with legs raised. Core workout of 1 minute side planks (the starfish kind) and 2 sets of 20 bicycle crunches.

In the evening biked 15km in 30 minutes, then played competitive-ish ultimate for an hour and a half.

Swimming tomorrow. Hooray!

Guest fiznuthian

8 eggs a day!

I tend to think there might be some limitations on whole food proteins regarding bioavailability due to hormones and other additives PLUS the actual physical breaking it down.

I have literally no scientific evidence or studies to back any of this up... but I find that high quality protein supplements and even some pre/post workout products actually work. Some products are complete shit and do absolutely nothing. But I have had substantial gains switching to a pre/intra and post workout supplement strategy that involves a lot of shitty unhealthy chemicals! Obviously basic knowledge of biochemistry helps you develop your strategy a little better. For example different proteins have different bio-availability etc. As an example whey protein isolate is easier absorbed than say casein or other sources of protein. So you want to use an isolate first thing in the morning or right after your workout. A blend is better as a meal replacement or to combine with your post workout drink for a better absorption tail.

My current supp strategy seems to be working. Muscles are bigger, ridiculously hard, and I have had great strength gains (granted it's hard to tell how much the supps are responsible for... )

Pre workout: VPX Friction (simple product that gets you jacked up and increases perpetual pump!), 1 pill Purple K PH Correct creatine

Post Workout 1: 1/2 teaspoon VPX L Glutamine with half a scoop of VPX NO Synthesize

Post workout 2: (Sorry VPX....) 1 scoop Gaspari Intrapro, Half a scoop of Gaspari Myofusion, 3/4 scoop VPX Fiberteq, 1/2 teaspoon VPX L Glutamine

My strip set curls have gone from 40lbs, 30lbs, 22.5lbs, 15lbs (10 reps each, 5 second rest between sets), to 57.5lbs, 47.5lbs, 37.5lbs, 27.5lbs (8 reps each, 5 second rest between sets) in like... 2 weeks.

/rant

To each his own I guess. :)

That is an insane amount of things in those supplements, and personally I don't find stimulants very useful. I stimulate myself with really difficult sprints before I workout. I love the feeling!

It is true that not every protein is assimilated similarly, and yes whey and casein are highly useful. I don't doubt their effectiveness in a mix. Funnily enough a lot of the ingredients in those supplements are also present in animals as well. Whether eating more of them as you'd find in supplements is useful I dunno. Time will tell, through well-controlled clinical trials hopefully. It appears some of those supplement companies are indeed carefully evaluating research articles to formulate their products.

For me I guess my goal was never actually to get ripped or huge per say, but to acheive a nice mix of power, speed, and endurance. Ironically after eating a "hunter-gatherer" dietary model for so long, my physique closely resembles your typical muscled primitive who eats animals often. I may not punch and kick a bag with the power that a 250 lb beastly man would but my muai thai strikes do pack a potentially lethal punch and I can deliver them frequently, quickly, and without tiring.

But then there's the health issue.. And for me being healthy is the main priority. Hence I stick to eating what I eat and nothing else. I supplement vitamin K2 (activator x), retinol, D3, and magnesium occasionally. That's about it though. That is to say, I could be entirely wrong and many of the bodybuilding supplements are in fact innocuous! It feels odd to me to be cramming mixtures with really quirky masculine names down my throat all day. Glad to hear they're working for you though!

Ah, should also add I know people personally that bodybuilding supplements have helped too.

Guest fiznuthian

Man I can't wait to get back to school so I can start using the gym there again. Being a broke-ass underemployed student sucks.

3 sets of 20 x wide-armed push-ups, 10 x tricep pushups (hands form triangle in front of the face), 10 x clap push-ups.

3 sets of 20 crunches with legs raised. Core workout of 1 minute side planks (the starfish kind) and 2 sets of 20 bicycle crunches.

In the evening biked 15km in 30 minutes, then played competitive-ish ultimate for an hour and a half.

Hell yeah Chen. :beer:

Fit as fuck!

Yeah, I do something similar.

2 sets of 20 pushups followed by 5 sets of 40 crunches, then another 3 sets of pushups. 60 second rests.

Try to ride 10 miles on my bike every few days. I nearly broke my foot a couple months ago, so it gives me some trouble and I'm waiting til I can go back to 10 miles a day. I ride a single speed and try to go up the largest hills I can. For instance, I've gone up Twin Peaks on my SS, which is geared for flat ground.

I have a diet of mostly eggs, black beans, and whole wheat bread.

And beer. But that fucks me over in the end...

8 eggs a day!

/rant

To each his own I guess. :)

That is an insane amount of things in those supplements, and personally I don't find stimulants very useful. I stimulate myself with really difficult sprints before I workout. I love the feeling!

It is true that not every protein is assimilated similarly, and yes whey and casein are highly useful. I don't doubt their effectiveness in a mix. Funnily enough a lot of the ingredients in those supplements are also present in animals as well. Whether eating more of them as you'd find in supplements is useful I dunno. Time will tell, through well-controlled clinical trials hopefully. It appears some of those supplement companies are indeed carefully evaluating research articles to formulate their products.

For me I guess my goal was never actually to get ripped or huge per say, but to acheive a nice mix of power, speed, and endurance. Ironically after eating a "hunter-gatherer" dietary model for so long, my physique closely resembles your typical muscled primitive who eats animals often. I may not punch and kick a bag with the power that a 250 lb beastly man would but my muai thai strikes do pack a potentially lethal punch and I can deliver them frequently, quickly, and without tiring.

But then there's the health issue.. And for me being healthy is the main priority. Hence I stick to eating what I eat and nothing else. I supplement vitamin K2 (activator x), retinol, D3, and magnesium occasionally. That's about it though. That is to say, I could be entirely wrong and many of the bodybuilding supplements are in fact innocuous! It feels odd to me to be cramming mixtures with really quirky masculine names down my throat all day. Glad to hear they're working for you though!

Ah, should also add I know people personally that bodybuilding supplements have helped too.

Yeah you have a lot of good points. The marketing strategies by these companies are predatory at best (one kind of obvious technique is that their products are all listed with medical sounding names to give the impression of clinically proven and clinical strength!).

The only company I have actually trusted for supplements is VPX because they are backed by double blind studies and genuine medical research.

I think you summarized it with "to each his own"!

There is such a huge number of possible avenues to health, fitness, strength, etc that it really is a matter of choosing what works for you.

Happy workouts everyone!

:beer:

Hell yeah Chen. :beer:

Fit as fuck!

meh - getting old sucks - can't dominate sports physically anymore. Loss of sprinting speed and vertical bites. Still, I feel pretty good for 38.

And most important - I still have fun.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

im too poor for protein shakes. that shit is mad expensive.

they really aren't. massive bucket of protein powder for $12 which lasts a month (maybe more) then you just need the milk and a frozen banana

is it possible to get too much protein?

im too poor for protein shakes. that shit is mad expensive.

they really aren't. massive bucket of protein powder for $12 which lasts a month (maybe more) then you just need the milk and a frozen banana

is it possible to get too much protein?

yeah you can have too much. Average person can only absorb 9g per hour effectively. So depending on how fast it breaks down in your digestive system.....Well lets put it this way... have you ever eaten a HUGE steak and had the most rank shit the next day? It was too much protein.

Hey where the hell are you getting a huge bucket of protein for 12$?!?! I'm paying 60-90$ for 5lb =(

i'm still aching (biceps, triceps, forearms only) from doing stuff on Saturday (i actually haven't done anything heavy since then because of it). should i just go ahead and do more stuff? also, could it be that i overdid it, or didn't eat enough after, or is it normal for aching to last that long (usually lasts no more than 2 days for me but i increased weight and did fuckloads)?

You still have to pay the duty on it.

The Canadian tariff on whey protein is 3.32¢/kg within the TRQ and over that it's 208% but not less than $2.07/kg.

It looks like the TRQ is currently: 3,198,000 kg so I'm guessing more than the TRQ is imported - but remember you also pay shipping.

can't you get raw whey right from the processing plant? we usually have to buy the stuff from companies who add a bunch of flavoring and other shi, but it seems pretty simple. buy direct

i'm still aching (biceps, triceps, forearms only) from doing stuff on Saturday (i actually haven't done anything heavy since then because of it). should i just go ahead and do more stuff? also, could it be that i overdid it, or didn't eat enough after, or is it normal for aching to last that long (usually lasts no more than 2 days for me but i increased weight and did fuckloads)?

hard to know for sure. does it feel sore, or does it feel painful? that would explain if you are doing something wrong, or if you are just getting used to your muscle groups tearing themselves.

although dont overexert yourself..i think the normal rule of thumb with minor variations of course, is to increase your workload by about 10% every successive workout...if you are going from 30 reps to 60 reps at the same or close weight, yeah, you could be doing some damage. slow and steady!

this is how ive been progressing for example, on bicep curls:

started with 25's, did

very, very slowly

8 (or as many as i could do before my form started falling apart)

then the next time i did 8, 8, and then 10

next time 8, 8, 12

then I moved up to 27.5 and started over with the 8, 8, 8. It seems to be working really well so far, no plateau yet..and im up to 32.5, so there is definitely some improvement.,..then again, i was pretty much starving myself the past year, so i had a lot of space to reoccupy with muscle.

then I moved up to 27.5 and started over with the 8, 8, 8. It seems to be working really well so far, no plateau yet..and im up to 32.5, so there is definitely some improvement.,..then again, i was pretty much starving myself the past year, so i had a lot of space to reoccupy with muscle.

i wish i had this problem... i think its easier to bulk up when you already have body mass. Coming from my position (twig thin at one point) your body doesnt want to cooperate

i wish i had this problem... i think its easier to bulk up when you already have body mass. Coming from my position (twig thin at one point) your body doesnt want to cooperate

i used to be well developed because of high-school football, but over the years due to drinking and eating horribly, most of my muscle sorta petered out...30 lbs. is pretty "weak" for a guy of my build...its going to take a while to get back to normal.

I ran 10 kilometers 5 days ago.

The last couple of days I've been trying to do that again. But after like 1 or 2 kilometers the insides of my lower legs and my ancles start to hurt really badly.

Do anyone what it could be? Have I gotten a injury or something? I'm not really an expert on the area. It's frustrating, because it was all going so well a week ago. And I lost like 5 kilos in 14 days.

The last couple of days I've been trying to do that again. But after like 1 or 2 kilometers the insides of my lower legs and my ancles start to hurt really badly.

Do anyone what it could be? Have I gotten a injury or something? I'm not really an expert on the area. It's frustrating, because it was all going so well a week ago. And I lost like 5 kilos in 14 days.

well, how big are you to begin with? And what was your routine like before now? Im wondering if you have something like the beginning stages of stress fractures or something...you want to see a doctor, and ask yourself if youve been running too much, what surfaces would lessen the stress on your joints...if you can, try taking up biking or swimming for a while and see if they improve...your body might just be telling you to switch it up for a little bit...but trust me on these types of things, it might just be soreness, but a doctor's trip will let you know for sure. don't risk it.

man i went for a run this morning before eating breakfast/having coffee, and good god did I ever eat some great stuff:

Steak, egg, and a heap o' peppers and onions omlette

Whey protein/milk mixture

Small Gatorade

and then I practically inhaled 12 oz. of fresh blackberries...this is why I cannot eat fruit...that shit is more addictive than painkillers to me...id be bankrupt within the month.

well, how big are you to begin with? And what was your routine like before now? Im wondering if you have something like the beginning stages of stress fractures or something...you want to see a doctor, and ask yourself if youve been running too much, what surfaces would lessen the stress on your joints...if you can, try taking up biking or swimming for a while and see if they improve...your body might just be telling you to switch it up for a little bit...but trust me on these types of things, it might just be soreness, but a doctor's trip will let you know for sure. don't risk it.

22 years, 178 cm, 80 kg (maybe slightly overweight, not sure)

I'm pretty sure I have started out too intesly. I've been excersing every single day in the last month (I've never done much exercising before this).

I normally warm-up 30 mins on my exercise Bike. Then run like 3-4 kilometers. It's a self-made program really, I have no clue what I'm doing. And I'm running on a concrete surface the whole way, that might be a bad idea?

But that 10 kilometes run I had was really rough on my legs (but not particually exhausting). I've read on the net that it could might be "Shin splints" or something. I think I might call my doctor tomorrow. I'm really pissed right now, I've finally got my shit together and started excersing seriously, plus I have the time at the moment. But then this happens.

Archived