IGNORED

Discovering Sonic Youth...

Guest beatfanatic

Guest beatfanatic

So Sonic Youth's Sister is really hitting the spot right now and I want to know which album I should check out next by them. I really love all the distortion and that dry drum sound.

Production wise Sister is kind of on it's own weirdly. I would suggest however that you check out Bad Moon Rising, Evol and of course Daydream Nation (Although I think Daydream is pretty overrated) For the most part though you can't really go that far wrong with the Youth. I suggest you take a listen to as much as you can.

washing machine. great, dry, layered production

Yes, that's a really good one as it happens. Probably one of my favourites of theirs.

i'm discovering these guys right now as well

i downloaded screaming fields of sonic love that i take is a greatest hits album? i'm going to check out daydream nation now

Confusion Is Sex, Bad Moon Rising, EVOL, Sister, Sonic Death and Goo. Dirty is crap. Experimental Jet Set is OK. No interest in anything they released after that.

Confusion Is Sex, Bad Moon Rising, EVOL, Sister, Sonic Death and Goo. Dirty is crap. Experimental Jet Set is OK. No interest in anything they released after that.

They've released a great many sweet albums after that, though. Especially Washing Machine and Murray Street.

And I don't understand how Dirty is crap. People call it their grunge cash-in album as if this somehow makes songs like 100%, Shoot, Wish Fulfillment, Youth Against Fascism, On The Strip, Chapel Hill, JC, and especially Purr not totally classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTXmmrueqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lzR0xIGA8

I love the second half.

I don't understand how Dirty is crap.

It's subjective of course, but I remember my misgivings when they signed to Geffen only to be pleasantly surprised by Goo. Then getting the big sexy double vinyl of Dirty, only to find it bland and unengaging. The whole thing felt like they were just going through the motions and not trying, attempting to appeal to the lowest common denominator and having it produced by Butch Vig seemed a bit cynical (on the part of Geffen rather than SY, perhaps). Maybe my pathological hatred of Nirvana and Nevermind had something to do with it. I was a music snob back then I admit (hating the major labels etc.), but even now I can't get excited by it, compared to when I listen to stuff like the Flower 12", or Sister when they seemed to just bang out interesting records at the drop of a hat. It just my opinions and jaded old waffle though. As for the post-Jet Set stuff, I'd well and truly had enough of them by then and I was starting to get more into Alternative Tentacles and the ilk, but I'll keep an open mind about what they've done since until I hear it.

was just gonna say dirty is my favorite album.. had a lot of long drives at night listening to it on cassette tape :boc:

but i never really got into them that much

Archived