IGNORED

Fear of large abandoned structures

Guest Pennywise

Guest Pennywise

These pictures don't bother me but it's the idea of being so close to structures that does bother me.

work.3776382.5.flat,550x550,075,f.the-west-pier-brighton-hdr.jpg

west-pier.jpg

I would hate standing this close to it and the idea of being underneath the structure is terrifying.

Another one is the sunken Titanic, even swimming over the titanic on the surface of the sea would scare me shitless, just knowing its down there. How about being on the ocean seabed and encountering the front of the titanic, knowing that the rest of it is infront of you, in the darkness.

It's basically Megalophopia but more specifically with abandoned/dead structures. Guess it's a death related fear. Any of you the same? I think it's probably quite common.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pennywise

I am the opposite of this. And by that I mean I like going around large abandoned structures, not that I'm creeped out by small occupied collections of loose building material.

lol.

I am intrigued by them too, its just that...they're fucking creepy.

I think it's fascinating, I would love to explore abandoned places. Been meaning to get out to North Brother Island, a once inhabited island between Manhattan and the Bronx that has been abandoned for nearly 50 years.

http://kingstonlounge.blogspot.com/2011/01/north-brother-island-riverside-hospital.html

Abandoned structures on the ground don't bother me, in fact the more the merrier. A little spooky I guess.

Abandoned structures half submerged in sea/ocean? And going to have a snorkel to have a look? That would bother me. But I'd still do it. Freshwater wouldn't bother me too much. Saltwater would give me the creeps.

Those in the photo's look like something from a John Carpenter film so I think I would pass.

Having said that....

I remember an old abandoned government building that was situated in Pittwater which is a waterway north of Sydney, near the Hawksbury River. It's tidal but on the other side of a pennisular (spelling). In years gone by this place was used by government officials to entertain whoever, nowadsys it is rotting but still intact with the encroaching bush on all sides. I discovered this place by accident during the middle of the day. The place gave me the fucking creeps, big time. Something about it just didn't seem right. I told the locals all about it and of course they knew about it but nobody visited it as it was so isolated. It even had it's own rotting wharf, which was spooky and skeletal. I peaked inside and their was furniture and carpets, and old empty swimming pool. I remember pushing the back door open a little but something stopped me from going inside. I guess being alone my imagination got the better of me. But even so I was aware of being struck by a multitude of poisonus snakes. That place would be a haven for all kinds of critters. Bitten there and it was an hour back to civilisation at a good pace. So I backed off.

An empty mansion and just the sounds of the Australian bush, nobody about. Yeah creeped me out but still an excellent find. What was a bit weird was it had what seemed to be an up to date alarm system wired up to it....

Ahh Hexagon Sun of course.

Then there's the old world war 2 hospital that lay abandoned not so far from me. Hahhahah.

When you are in there and you realise you are in the old mourge, and cracked mirrors?

We went up there on pills years ago all spaced out, everyone keen to go in there at night on a full moon? Only 2 of us out of a dozen had the guts to go walk about lol.

Then there's the old air raid shelters......

Good topic.

Guest Pennywise

The first images are the ruins of the West Pier in Brighton. I could walk around those hospitals, I'm more freaked out by overwhelming structures. I had a dream once where I saw a ride similar to the one below (without the Indian theme) alone in a desert, but it was like 20 times as big as that one and rusty. I was quite far away from it though in the dream, but creepy nonetheless.

magic%20carpet.jpg

The night escalates the fear a lot, being close to that pier at night would give me a heart attack

i went into an abandon mine shaft in livermore, CA once, it was really fucking scary . I don't think ill ever be doing that again..

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/urban-underground/Content?oid=1067775 <-- these reporters followed us in one night (i go under the handle 'puke-fart' '33rd Degree Freemason' is my good friend Ben)

Guest rowla

I fucking hate them. Bridges, wind turbines, offshore oil rigs, anything like that and I feel overwhelmed with dread. Also the idea of looking up into a hot air balloon. Uch.

Edit: The structure has to be tall for it to bother me (but heights in general do not phase me), in fact the WW2 bunkers look fascinating.

Guest Pennywise

I fucking hate them. Bridges, wind turbines, offshore oil rigs, anything like that and I feel overwhelmed with dread. Also the idea of looking up into a hot air balloon. Uch.

Edit: The structure has to be tall for it to bother me (but heights in general do not phase me), in fact the WW2 bunkers look fascinating.

So you have the same kinda phobia. Do shipwrecks or that Pier bother you? Just imagine standing under it. It must sound so weird to people who don't have it.

Guest Gravity

I know the sense of dread you're talking about. I'd imagine this video might give you the same type of feeling.

Guest rowla

So you have the same kinda phobia. Do shipwrecks or that Pier bother you? Just imagine standing under it. It must sound so weird to people who don't have it.

Large structures in the water.. hard to explain the feeling but the idea of it is now making me look away from what I'm imagining. I can cope with the picture that you posted but the way you described it in a dream is horrible. I once saw an array of windturbines (big bastard type) in the sea and that made me feel sick.

Guest Pennywise

i want to know more about why it causes you fear pennywise.

nuts.gif

Heh heh. I don't know. I don't like abandoned theme parks either so maybe It has something to do with the death of once, happy places. That would explain the fear of the pier too.

Besides that, i'm sure I have a bit of Megalophopia too.

Guest rowla

I know the sense of dread you're talking about. I'd imagine this video might give you the same type of feeling.

Spot on.

This:

Runcorn bridge, can't look up when I have to drive over it:

5443436-md.jpg

offshore_wind_carbon.jpg

Guest hahathhat

occasionally i have these eeire dreams featuring gigantic concrete structures. they range from a simple concrete room to giant, abstract art looking things with lots of loops and curves that go on for miles. if i had any skill at painting, i'd paint a few.... and i guarantee they would freak the shit out of pennywise.

it's probably something to do with alienation. i'm almost always alone wandering around the concrete, and when i wake up it's a very last-man-on-earth mood.

not always, but often, they also seem to serve a transitional role. i stumble from one dream into a concrete basement, open a door down there and walk into another dream. or i'll discover a shopping mall inside a concrete blob and it'll turn into a shopping mall dream. subways and highways have both shown up repeatedly like this.

i wish i lucid dreamed so i could figure this out more.... ironically i'm getting familiar enough with these dreams that they might become something that lets me recognize i'm dreaming

dreams. ominous fears. watmm. coffee

one place you will never get me into is a natural underground cave. especially the kind with water and ice.

our cub scout troop went to some in northern ontario when i was a kid. i just stayed outside. ;p

here's a picture from one of their brochures:

G4yxY.jpg

no thanks...

Guest Pennywise

offshore_wind_carbon.jpg

Yep, swimming around those would be pretty fucking awful.

Archived