IGNORED

CERN discovers FTL particle (possibly)

data

Physics is like a triangle. You've got the executive, judicial, and legislative branches, and they all work together to find out more about the stars.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frankie5fingers

Physics is like a triangle. You've got the executive, judicial, and legislative branches, and they all work together to find out more about the stars.

if this where true wouldn't it be no different than a circle since you'd just end up in the same spot again?

I'm going to keep reading this until i can make sense out of it. I can't tell if this comment is making me happy or nauseous

:crazy:

Physics is surely a polyhedron, not a line, and it must always move upward, not backward, forward, not sideways, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

600px-4-cube_t0123.svg.png

Not a line.

why is everyone here so 4 dimensional

Edit: Meaningful input just so I won't derail this decent thread:

I think this discovery is totally game changing considering that we haven't had any major breakthroughs in physics for quite some time

And physics is more like a sphere, with an ever expanding radius, the scope going wider and wider

It would be nice if you'd stop writing as if you're a spokesperson for science...

"physics is a straight line," wat? Not really.

im a fucking engineer, i cant help it. lol

and what i mean, is that we don't go back and say "hey, all your shit that you did was pointless and useless now." if it wasn't for the discoveries back then we wouldn't be where we are today. basically, we can only go forward. never backward.

like the Edison quote “We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb”. even though he failed so many times it was never a step back. only forward.

hopefully that makes more sense.

sorry that makes no sense to me. the arrow of change might be directed towards the future (just like the passing of time only has one direction), but a paradigm-shift certainly can say "hey, your shit is pointless now, and in the past and had no contribution to solving the problem whatsoever".

so, back to chaos please.

A lot of the great discoveries were accidental.

But im not quite sure how we would have discovered a sub-atomic particle by accident yo, so I guess throwing a shit-load of money at it makes sense.

Is there a list somewhere of any "practical" applications that this discovery can be used towards?

Just think back to when they discovered lasers, bet they didnt think that one day they would be used to read optical discs, burns cataracts out of eyes and be used in nightclubs!

Guest Frankie5fingers

It would be nice if you'd stop writing as if you're a spokesperson for science...

"physics is a straight line," wat? Not really.

im a fucking engineer, i cant help it. lol

and what i mean, is that we don't go back and say "hey, all your shit that you did was pointless and useless now." if it wasn't for the discoveries back then we wouldn't be where we are today. basically, we can only go forward. never backward.

like the Edison quote “We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb”. even though he failed so many times it was never a step back. only forward.

hopefully that makes more sense.

sorry that makes no sense to me. the arrow of change might be directed towards the future (just like the passing of time only has one direction), but a paradigm-shift certainly can say "hey, your shit is pointless now, and in the past and had no contribution to solving the problem whatsoever".

so, back to chaos please.

well, since you used the term Paradigm-shift ill use the man who created the term. Thomas Kuhn wrote, "Successive transition from one paradigm to another via revolution is the usual developmental pattern of mature science." Which is what i wrote saying that changes in physics is normal. its going to happen and really shouldn't be surprising when it does.

and the point i was trying to make later was that we wouldn't be where we are without those wrong theories of the past. so they can't just be discarded and forgotten.

im not the greatest writer so maybe my meaning was lost along the lines somewhere

Guest theSun

it was my impression that discovery of this biggs hosin' is an experimental confirmation of the standard model math. there's nothing really new other than confirming what the math already suggested, right?

A lot of the great discoveries were accidental.

But im not quite sure how we would have discovered a sub-atomic particle by accident yo, so I guess throwing a shit-load of money at it makes sense.

Is there a list somewhere of any "practical" applications that this discovery can be used towards?

Just think back to when they discovered lasers, bet they didnt think that one day they would be used to read optical discs, burns cataracts out of eyes and be used in nightclubs!

Discovery of a new elementary particle is so cutting-edge science that any "practical" applications are decades into the future, and even then it's doubtful it itself has any relevance other than being part of a greater understanding on how nature works. The obvious practical applications from all this are bound to come from the engineering and technical feats that made the whole LHC possible in the first place.

it was my impression that discovery of this biggs hosin' is an experimental confirmation of the standard model math. there's nothing really new other than confirming what the math already suggested, right?

If you want to be glib about it, sure. But the fact that we now know of a new elementary particle, which perhaps is the Higgs, we can now conduct experiments and study it more closer and perhaps discover properties that no theoretical framework could have predicted, so in that sense it's a damn big deal and probably one of our lifetimes biggest scientific discoveries. It's not like we everyday find a new elementary particle that helps explain how nature works in a fundamental way.

I just saw Hawking speak (about branes) a few weeks ago and he kept dropping jokes in his speech about "if ____ is discovered... I'll get a nobel prize." He really wants one of those things, lol.

Guest Frankie5fingers

box of chocolates yo

no thats life

well physics is like life duh

nah, its more like Ping-pong.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Ok, you're too dull to make fun of, I think I get it now.

pretty much. lol trust me, if you were trying to get a reaction or something that will never happen. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Archived