IGNORED

afx and playing live

kinski

so it kinda struck me at reich75 that richard was actually playing live, and i don't think i ever heard of him playing live (not that i was ever really curious about it until now), just dj-ing. so are there any known performances of rdj playing live? or at least partially live?

please don't yell at me.

I saw him live in Chicago in 97. He just had his laptop and some friends in donkey rhubarb dancing bear suits.

He was basically re-mixing his tracks live. Not exactly dj'ing but not exactly a proper performance. lots of fun though.

I found a funny review here.

Sneaker Pimps and Aphex Twin at the Vic

Remember those cartoon appliance delivery men from the Dire Straits video "Money for Nothing"? The grubby guys who groused that they could do anything rock stars could?

A trip to the Sneaker Pimps-Aphex Twin trip-hop show at the Vic Saturday was enough to convince anyone those guys were right. This was techno at its overhyped extreme. Only in rare moments did either of these artists convey the sense that they were doing anything you couldn't do yourself if turned loose in a synthesizer shop for an hour. The Sneaker Pimps, led by 22-year-old, mini-jumpsuited waif Kelli Dayton, trudged out a short set of narcotizing mood pieces …

What a fucking idiot. If that guy is still writing reviews, I hope he realizes by now that he was dead wrong... in every way.

I saw him live in Chicago in 97. He just had his laptop and some friends in donkey rhubarb dancing bear suits.

He was basically re-mixing his tracks live. Not exactly dj'ing but not exactly a proper performance. lots of fun though.

I found a funny review here.

Sneaker Pimps and Aphex Twin at the Vic

Remember those cartoon appliance delivery men from the Dire Straits video "Money for Nothing"? The grubby guys who groused that they could do anything rock stars could?

A trip to the Sneaker Pimps-Aphex Twin trip-hop show at the Vic Saturday was enough to convince anyone those guys were right. This was techno at its overhyped extreme. Only in rare moments did either of these artists convey the sense that they were doing anything you couldn't do yourself if turned loose in a synthesizer shop for an hour. The Sneaker Pimps, led by 22-year-old, mini-jumpsuited waif Kelli Dayton, trudged out a short set of narcotizing mood pieces …

What a fucking idiot. If that guy is still writing reviews, I hope he realizes by now that he was dead wrong... in every way.

LOL, thanks for sharing, i'd say too bad the whole review wasn't available unless you are a subscriber, but I don't think we are missing out on much :spiteful: the reviewer is clearly an idiot

The typically AFX sets nowdays starts of with a big Amiga demo on the screen, a cool chill intro to a very big mix with lots of random tracks (like commercial on radio) then almost in the end.. Jungle! and then he turn it all to pure noise doin thumbs up and leaving the stage. Many people saying the Mighty has fallen.. I don't but he will so hard if he won't release new material or starting to really playing live and doing new stuff like he did in Poland.

- Dublin circa 2000 at the olympia theatre was a rare ambient set that could have been live... not sure.. my mind was acidic

- the famous paris set with the dancer seemed rather live too

- Glade 2 is a bit fuzzy but i remember thinkig it was live due to all the knobs the guy was twiddling

I suppose he used to play live untill it went all dj-set but it doesn't mean every single pattern was real time since the tracks structures can be stored on some disks... surely controlling some parameters while his sequencer do the rest of the work, you can see on his old live vids that he's rather turning knobs than building a whole new version of his tracks live (he would need twice more arms). Ae would be supposed to do that, instead of playing with traktor lol

Archived