IGNORED

Antape - Looking At The Sea

Lucas

http://soundcloud.com/antape/looking-at-the-sea-v1

I just need to get this track out of my head because it obsessed me way too much during the last past two days.

So let's say that it's a work in progress : the final mixing has been made quickly and more tweaking of the composition will certainly be done (I don't think I like the beginning and the ending that much ; also, I'll change some notes of the high pitched synth at the end of the second part).

Anyway I'm looking forward to your WATMMers feedback.

Be intransigent

:-)

Well this time I think I've finished that track. I may tweak the mix in a near future if I notice something wrong when I'll hear it on other speakers, but I think it's ok. I'm not sure I love the beginning but I need to take the time to listen to it as a listener to figure that out.

Your feedback is still welcomed, here or on soundcloud. You can download the track (in flac).

Also, I attached that picture I took in my recent travel in Turkey, which I think makes sense with the song. As if the boy was falling upon the sea during six minutes.

:orly:

nevermind

Cheers,

Antape

PS : the new version is on the same player above

post-8469-0-88928600-1317399258_thumb.jpg

the calm part after the frantic beats in the beginning doesn't fit imo. the track gets quite intense in a few bars then it comes back to something slow and empty. you should imo make that frantic part at least twice longer, getting wilder before coming back to something "emptier". i think you should get rid of the hihats when it gets back to quiet too, and add some evolving synths or something that would make the listener curious of where you're taking him. i got quite excited at 0:45 and got bored at 1:00.

it's only transition that seemed bad to me though. the build up after that did make sense. the next transition seemed better, maybe a slihgt bit too short. found the last part excellent.

sparse melody, really digging the ominous tone of it.. I think I would have put the percussion down a bit more subtle in the mix around 1:50, or make it roll a bit more instead of all the staccato stuff.. I'd definetly bury the sweeping sound a bit down somewhere when it comes back the second time and would do something with the speedy melody because it sounds very dry on it's own.

good track! the photograph relation thing is wicked nice.

the calm part after the frantic beats in the beginning doesn't fit imo. the track gets quite intense in a few bars then it comes back to something slow and empty. you should imo make that frantic part at least twice longer, getting wilder before coming back to something "emptier". i think you should get rid of the hihats when it gets back to quiet too, and add some evolving synths or something that would make the listener curious of where you're taking him. i got quite excited at 0:45 and got bored at 1:00.

it's only transition that seemed bad to me though. the build up after that did make sense. the next transition seemed better, maybe a slihgt bit too short. found the last part excellent.

Thank you for that straight opinion, I'll consider your advices in case I eventually decide to change something. I realised the thing with the frantic beats part being too short, actually it was first half shorter and I already made it longer. As I said I need a little bit of time to know if I want to change anything about the beginning, maybe in the occasion of a release if one day I end up with a good & coherent tracklist which will include that track ^^

anyway, thanks for your listening & precise opinion. Btw I like your pictures and will take a more attentive ear to your music, you seem to have a lot of good stuff out on your site!

sparse melody, really digging the ominous tone of it.. I think I would have put the percussion down a bit more subtle in the mix around 1:50, or make it roll a bit more instead of all the staccato stuff.. I'd definetly bury the sweeping sound a bit down somewhere when it comes back the second time and would do something with the speedy melody because it sounds very dry on it's own.

good track! the photograph relation thing is wicked nice.

thanks as well. Ok now I'm worrying because I first read "omnious tone" in your comment and thought it meant something like "omnipresent" in the sense it would be both sparse and full (yeah well, my english is not perfect and now I realise it has no sense), but now I check the meaning of that word on a dictionary I realise what you mean. What makes me worry is that you're the second one to tell me about your own feeling about that track tone, which you seem to find ominous and dark or something, and that vibe wasn't the one I was aiming in making the track at all.

I was just looking for something discrete, pretty and melancholic. :shrug:

well if you somewhat like the track anyway, let's forget it. I hope I won't miss my next "discrete, pretty and melancholic" track though lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for that straight opinion, I'll consider your advices in case I eventually decide to change something. I realised the thing with the frantic beats part being too short, actually it was first half shorter and I already made it longer. As I said I need a little bit of time to know if I want to change anything about the beginning, maybe in the occasion of a release if one day I end up with a good & coherent tracklist which will include that track ^^

anyway, thanks for your listening & precise opinion. Btw I like your pictures and will take a more attentive ear to your music, you seem to have a lot of good stuff out on your site!

you asked to be intransigent so i wrote everything i needed to enjoy the track more :) i'm only telling what *I* would do from there, the music's yours anyway :)

and thanks for the nice words :)

Archived