IGNORED

Recommend me some good Horror-Films

Terpentintollwut

There are tons of films about ghosts but seriously, I only know a few ones that make use of the topic's potential.

I like The Shining, Session 9, Echoes, The Others, The Sixth Sense was alright too ... but that's about it right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but I don't wanna see another jumpy-scary-whoowhoo-movie, I'd like to see a properly directed, solid piece again that I haven't known for a least eight years. So much rubbish coming out lately. I'd like to watch a movie and be like :fear: again ... !

Any suggestions?

PS: I'm not big on Asian horror films, all the ones I've seen so far bored me to death. If you want to recommend me some you think that are worthy, go ahead, but if there's a pale-skinned child or a black-haired evil girl in it, don't bother! :wacko:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adjective

The Dark Hours and Pontypool are two decent low budget ones

edit: oh you wanted ghosts... nm

dark hours not dark horrors

Yeah well but any good horror will do really - I saw Pontypool actually! I thought it was pretty cool, not perfect but it had some interesting ideas and solid acting. So that was a decent one for sure. What's The Dark Horrors (roughly, spoilerfree) ... ?

edit: In German we say "Gruselfilm" which describes most accurately what I'm looking for. It translates best to "a film that gives you the chills", not quite horror, but lots of suspense or creepiness.

most of john carpenters horror stuff from the 70s and 80s is worth watching.. 'in the mouth of madness' too.. most cronenberg horror stuff is good too.. tho i guess a lot of it could be considered sci fi

'possession'.. a bit arty and certainly a mindfuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTB15PPtMyA

'braindead' is fun. twilight zoneish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtmqGe7740g

two fantastic horror films from the guy that did 'porkys' and 'a christmas story'.. 'deathdream' (aka 'dead of night') is especially impressive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBKrRtBuag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSi43oYTJ6E

sorry having trouble thinking of any good ghost related ones...

edit: oops just saw someone already posted about posession

The Dark Horrors

any chance this movie is actually called The Dark HOURS?

Beware, has dark haired woman in it.

Hell, I love dark haired women - just not as Japanese antagonists in every film ever made there!

edit: Yeah Poltergeist is one of the films I like and forgot to mention. I like how it deals with the topic. It's bizarre but somewhat "realistic" if that makes sense. Watched it last Friday, still great fun, Though I must admit it was a tad creepier in the German dub version because the voice actress of the old lady freaks me out.

couple more. exorcist 3 is an absolute must. studio fucked it up (especially the ending) but its still really good

this scene scared the absolute shit out of me when i was a kid

'christmas evil' (aka 'you better watch out') another good holiday one. more bizarre and funny than scary actually, but still really great. i caught it on ifc a few years ago and it always stuck with me. and i see that someone has put the whole thing on youtube. sweet think im going to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czMhOKXCm64&feature=related

I watched Red Dragon with my g/f the other night... I think I like that one more than Silence of the Lambs (of which it is a prequel)..

I love Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, great atmosphere + christopher walken & christina ricci... oh yeah and Johnny Depp.

The version of The Thing with Kurt Russell is another favorite.

Evil Dead movies are just plain fun.

I remember The House on Haunted Hill remake was creepy in the day

Dawn of the Dead, classic and remake

From Hell

Silent Hill

Rec

28 Days Later

Guest futuregirlfriend

Blargh my reply just got gobbled up.

The Innocents (1961) watched this last year, surprisingly chilling, gave me the creeps like I was a little kid again. I had a look about for a convincing youtube vid but they all seem to give too much away. In the spoiler there's a song from the film, either listen now or let it give you the heebie jeebies while watching.

event horizon?

yeah this was surprisingly good. all the more so because its from the guy that did the live action mortal combat film lol

Guest Adjective

The Dark Horrors

any chance this movie is actually called The Dark HOURS?

oh sorry, that's right it should be The Dark Hours

um, the dark hours is one of those psychological / uncertainty kind of scary things. honestly though it's been so long since i've seen it i can't really summarize it. it was on my list of things to rewatch since i saw it listed on netflix. i just remembered enjoying it and being surprised that it was in the $1 bin at a store somewhere.

Archived