IGNORED

what do you guys think about diaspora ?

delet...

Is it the alternative we were after?

Google+ is putting unconnected people's posts in my feed now. It's bloody annoying and counter what i thought they were going for. It's probably a way to introduce advertising or something under the guise of helping you connect with what's current on G+. But it probably won't be long before someone inserts a trojan into one of the links.heh.

Anyway, this is what i was posting about, https://joindiaspora.com/

Diaspora is intended to address privacy concerns related to centralized social networks by allowing users set up their own server (or "pod") to host content; pods can then interact to share status updates, photographs, and other social data.[6] It allows its users to host their data with a traditional web host, a cloud-based host, an ISP, or a friend. The framework, which is being built on Ruby on Rails, is free software and can be experimented with by external developers.

Not much considering that when you click the link you get an internal server error.

I've been following diaspora for a couple of years. I think it's gonna be too difficult for a lot of people to figure out how to work?

Not much considering that when you click the link you get an internal server error.

I've been following diaspora for a couple of years. I think it's gonna be too difficult for a lot of people to figure out how to work?

Yeah well you could always beam back 10 years and install an hotline server. For sharing and social networking with friends.

Also yeah that guys death is what caused it to be posted about on slashdot which is why i checked the wiki and urL. I wonder how many other millions thought the same and how many of those have d/l'ed and installed the alpha as a result.

(and just to go here for as a thought exercise) and whether he died cause he didn't want backdooring of the coding by the security services.

Yeah well you could always beam back 10 years and install an hotline server. For sharing and social networking with friends.

Also yeah that guys death is what caused it to be posted about on slashdot which is why i checked the wiki and urL. I wonder how many other millions thought the same and how many of those have d/l'ed and installed the alpha as a result.

(and just to go here for as a thought exercise) and whether he died cause he didn't want backdooring of the coding by the security services.

I did exactly that.

Got some great stuff off Keith Fullerton-Whitman's server.

I didn't know that he had died, nor that slashdot had picked it up. Didn't think about the slashdot effect.

i never really used hotline, but i remember using "direct connect", which seems similar. the servers ("hubs") had crazy restrictions, like "50gb shared"... if you weren't sharing 50gb of files, you couldn't connect. back then, 50gb was a huge amount, i didn't even have that much drive space, let alone files to share, so i figured out a way to mount directories over and over as virtual drives. i'd have the same folder of mp3s shared like 10 times (as F:, G:, H:, etc...), just so i could connect.

even then, it was really hard to get files, since it worked like soulseek, one-connection-per-file, instead of kazaa where you could multiplex from a bunch of people at once. people would usually ban you if they were paying any attention... i do remember remember pirating the iso for NHL 2004, though... good times.

i never really used hotline, but i remember using "direct connect", which seems similar. the servers ("hubs") had crazy restrictions, like "50gb shared"... if you weren't sharing 50gb of files, you couldn't connect. back then, 50gb was a huge amount, i didn't even have that much drive space, let alone files to share, so i figured out a way to mount directories over and over as virtual drives. i'd have the same folder of mp3s shared like 10 times (as F:, G:, H:, etc...), just so i could connect.

even then, it was really hard to get files, since it worked like soulseek, one-connection-per-file, instead of kazaa where you could multiplex from a bunch of people at once. people would usually ban you if they were paying any attention... i do remember remember pirating the iso for NHL 2004, though... good times.

if you were running Linux, you could make symlinks to files, and Direct Connect would see those symlinks (which were really just very small files) as full-size duplicates of the original files.

was an awesome way to trick it into thinking you had more shared than you actually did.

if you were running Linux, you could make symlinks to files, and Direct Connect would see those symlinks (which were really just very small files) as full-size duplicates of the original files.

was an awesome way to trick it into thinking you had more shared than you actually did.

yeah, that's basically what i ended up doing. the command is called "subst" in windows, instead of "ln".

I think they should have focused on their protocol spec from the beginning. I think they have the right idea with the pods and all, but I don't think they'll deliver the best implementation. They've made a lot of bad decisions and have been horrible at communicating after announcing their intent.

But honestly, even if the protocol becomes stable and the pods' software get closer to the functionality people expect from their social network tool, it will probably fail anyway. Just look at something xmpp.

Archived