IGNORED

new mpc controller

kcinsu

It will be brutally expensive I'm sure and honestly I don't see what's to prefer about this thing than to a old MPC or if you want to involve your laptop the NI Machine. Though it looks nice :emotawesomepm9:

It looks like a completely new MPC, not just a controller. I'd be interested in how the "vintage mode" works. Already have an MPC1000 though so won't be buying but it does look kind of interesting. Hopefully it's not a massive disaster like the MPC5000 was.

Why was it a massive disaster?

Had a lot of bugs, new features were poorly implemented, turned out to be a step backwards from the MPC4000. Sound on Sound review suggested not buying it. Some famous rapper called Just Blaze went to town on it with a rather scathing review that became pretty famous on the interwebs for a while. I think it was a victim of feature creep with a lack of quality control.

Guest ryanmcallister

*waits for "special edition" black mpc renaissance*.

seriously though, mpc's are not really my thing. love akai hardware to death though. looks like there will be 2 more product announcements in the coming weeks, should be interesting.

Wow Akai go! And since I have a MPD 26 I love Akai even more than before! They really build quality products.

What exactly is the benefit from a MPC vs. a MPD with a Laptop and Software? That the MPC doesn't need a Laptop to get samples etc., right? Any other?

Wow Akai go! And since I have a MPD 26 I love Akai even more than before! They really build quality products.

What exactly is the benefit from a MPC vs. a MPD with a Laptop and Software? That the MPC doesn't need a Laptop to get samples etc., right? Any other?

JJOS2XL, no mouse, solid midi clock and fuck all latency

if Akai were any more retarded, they'd forget to breathe.

they went and built all the hardware for a new standalone mpc sampler/sequencer (which is what everybody wants), but instead of programming an os for it that runs inside the machine & is rock solid, they expend exponentially more time & money writing an os that runs on an external computer and therefore has to be compatible with mac AND pc AND run in standalone mode AND run as a vst inside a daw AND has to be compatible with all those daws AND all the different drivers that people use etc. etc... when they have NO previous experience coding anything remotely like this (unlike NI had when they made maschine).

FACT: this thing is gonna be buggy as hell when it drops. check the mpc5000 os or the original mpc1000 os if you doubt that. it's such a blatant rip of maschine, but in terms of capabilities they are going to be playing catch-up with maschine for years (if not forever). akai hasn't had an original idea ever since Roger Linn left. they only reason this company still exists is due to the legacy Roger left them with. period.

Guest analogue wings

my first thought was :wtf::facepalm: cos i just bought a maschine...

but then you look at all the i/o the thing has and it has to be a whole nother price point up from the maschine. agree with digit's sentiment that Akai is just coasting on the momentum of Roger Linn's 25 year old designs - doing only the most obvious updates and in this case straight up aping the competition's paradigmatic leapfrog of their own stale designs.

the reviews for this should be pretty interesting, especially if there's a "maschine pro" anytime soon cos thats basically what this thing is spec wise

I'd like to see something interesting for the Iphone/Ipod.

also check out the Akai MPC Fly for the iPad 2 furthest on the right. no clue what it is but we shall find out.

Mm I'm not Ipad fan its too big to make music on the go imo.

Archived