IGNORED

Giant Squid / Colossal Squid

beerwolf

Hail great beasts of the deep ocean drifts!

I have a fascination with a lot of animals (polar bears, bison, elephant seal, oarfish, narwhal, spider crabs etc etc) But the one that captures my imagination the most is the squid. I became their (the much tinnier versions) arch enemy at one point in my life as I proved myself to be an excellent squid-jigger, the head and tenticles for the fishing hook and the mantle for the pot/pan. Seeing them close hand with all their kaledscopic colours changing in front of my eye was pretty cool. Unfortuneatly they got beheaded after that, but that's how it goes.

These are my 2 most read wikipedia pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid

What do you think of squid? Recipies if you like too.

Squids as animals are weird.

I have only eaten them a couple of times - first was whole baby squid deep fried and crispy, in salt and pepper. Tasty/

Second was steaks on a bbq which were quite bland and rubbery, but I ate them anyway.

Check out the Vampire Squid:

According to National Geographic, “The vampire squid can turn itself ‘inside out’ to avoid predators—as seen in a video . . . released by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute to emphasize the need to protect deep-sea species from the effects of human activities.”

The giant cephalopods truly capture the imagination! So massive, yet so elusive!

I watched a great program on the Discovery Channel once (before the channel decided to dedicate itself entirely to Motorcycle building and extreme engineering) where a scientist actually managed to capture a larval Architeuthis and attempted to raise it in a retrofitted tank (he didn't succeed unfortunately).

Squids as animals are weird.

I have only eaten them a couple of times - first was whole baby squid deep fried and crispy, in salt and pepper. Tasty/

Second was steaks on a bbq which were quite bland and rubbery, but I ate them anyway.

Check out the Vampire Squid:

According to National Geographic, “The vampire squid can turn itself ‘inside out’ to avoid predators—as seen in a video . . . released by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute to emphasize the need to protect deep-sea species from the effects of human activities.”

Super cool. Cheers Fletch.

They keep the largest caught Colossal squid on display at the museum in my home town. Well worth seeing

They keep the largest caught Colossal squid on display at the museum in my home town. Well worth seeing

I have been to Wellington. I never knew this. That really has pissed me off.

Archived