Revitute

Guest rubberman

please stop using the term 'idm' ffs. it's getting painful.

anywayz, this album is wonderful, obvz. probably not my favorite album from the 2000s but it's p damn close

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please stop using the term 'idm' ffs. it's getting painful.

I'd half-assumed Joyrex was being flippant about filtering out the 'I*M' word a few years ago, but it was a good idea nonetheless.

Kid A is my favourite album of theirs by a long way (though there are later individual tracks I love more like Like Spinning Plates and Codex, its the one I love most as a whole). It came at a time where I was properly getting into music (and had a disposable income to do so) and I remember the stormy morning I headed down to Woolworths (RIP) to pick up my copy. Within just the first few seconds of track one I knew this album would be something special, and those few chords still give me goosebumps to this day.

there are times when the hard-drives sound just like Thom; it's nuts!

That's 'cos they are indeed playing back his voice, there was a big hacking fad a few years back with making hard disk speakers -

[media=]

[/media]

Ah, thanks! Interesting how-to.

It's late and I'm a little tired and emotional, what better time to bang on again about In Limbo? It sounds so languid, like Head Warlock Double Stare I suspect it shouldn't be listened to before 2AM.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to see them last friday and jesus fuck are they at the top of their game. the national anthem was so fucking retardedly good that i just wanted to explode into a ball of light. they are just straight fire up there, and when they get grooving, forget it. feral live was just an absolute beast.

The electronic elements in their music have always been annoying(somewhat) to me because they are so underdeveloped. As if Thom Yorke went out and bought a bunch of electronic gear and then barely learned how to use it and made music with it. Don't get me wrong I like Radiohead and I like a lot of their music except for their first two albums. I have always felt that Thom Yorke figured out he would rather be an electronic artist, but could never take the time to become a true electronic musician. Even on The Eraser I was a bit disappointed he didn't go full electronic and instead decided to stay in the safe zone of using lyrics and guitars. The are a great band though, but they no longer excite me. I believe that is where the difference between electronic music and rock music is most obvious. I think that electronic musicians can continue to make amazing music for their entire lives, but that rock musicians can almost never continue to make great music. It seems to be the nature of the medium. Just my humble opinion.

to each their own i guess

photo-10215.png?_r=0

BTW live performances are a totally different story.

yes they really are quite something, yorke's stage presence alone is extremely psychedelic and takes me to some far away places while i watch him flail around stage, truly fucking epic. best band ever?

I suppose you can call it IDM because the most identifiable thing in music labeled with that term is that feeling of alot of stuff going on in the music and in your head.

They definitely seem to be at the peak of their "live" game. TKOL was not a very good album in comparison with what, the last 5-7?

But it definitely works brilliantly in a live setting, which is why I think they made it the way it is.

"In Limbo" is my favorite song on Kid A.

the SONG "kid a " really niceThey've bee nplaying "

i went to see them last friday and jesus fuck are they at the top of their game. the national anthem was so fucking retardedly good that i just wanted to explode into a ball of light. they are just straight fire up there, and when they get grooving, forget it. feral live was just an absolute beast.

Ooh ye bastard, I did not get National Anthem--luckyyyy. Agreed on Feral and relevant to this discussion is how fucking mental Idioteque gets at the end. Here's me barely able to contain my Radiotuss as Jonny went to twistin'

[media=]

[/media]

nice. jonny fucked up the end of that at the show i went to and thom got all pissy, said "ah, fuck it" and walked off stage. lol

how to disappear was an absolute gem too.

• 8 years later...

Archived