IGNORED

EURO 2012

Guest MortstoX

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Spain can count themselves a little lucky. Maybe they still would have won but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Rakitic had have put that header anywhere other than straight at Casillas. Spain only scored because Croatia had to abandon discipline and get a goal. If they had a lead to defend I wonder if Spain could have broken them down?

I feel a bit sorry for Croatia, they have an excellent team and Bilic is a really good manager.

Stupidest punditry of the evening: Alan Pardew claiming England have nothing to fear if they qualify and draw Spain in the next round. As an Englishman I'm embarrassed. If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be wondering if he had anything to do with last season. Is there any doubt that England would supply only slightly more opposition than Ireland did?

Spain can count themselves a little lucky. Maybe they still would have won but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Rakitic had have put that header anywhere other than straight at Casillas. Spain only scored because Croatia had to abandon discipline and get a goal. If they had a lead to defend I wonder if Spain could have broken them down?

I feel a bit sorry for Croatia, they have an excellent team and Bilic is a really good manager.

Stupidest punditry of the evening: Alan Pardew claiming England have nothing to fear if they qualify and draw Spain in the next round. As an Englishman I'm embarrassed. If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be wondering if he had anything to do with last season. Is there any doubt that England would supply only slightly more opposition than Ireland did?

Pretty much agree with all of that. I do wish Bilic had started with Jelavic up front along side Mandzukic, as I feel Jelavic's size would have caused problems for Pique and Ramos. But it was good match - very tense.

lol at Pardew.

Zlatan had the tournaments nicest goal, like Balotelli's from last night but better execution. The Ukraine goal should have counted, but that still would just have tied the game.

So the quarters are

CZE-POR

GER-GRE

SPA-FRA

ENG-ITA

Portugal and Germany ought to advance, the Spain and England games might be trickier. Obviously Spain is the favourite, but I haven't been that impressed by them and have a feeling that France have not shown their full potential yet and they could surprise. England and Italy both know how to play a defensive game so I hope it won't be a game where they are waiting for the other to make a mistake and instead bother to play. Will have to be rooting for Italy in this one.

I missed most of the game, but it sounds like Ukraine scored a goal but weren't given...you know...a goal?

goal line technology - desperately needed. Still would have only tied the game, but might have given the ukraine a lift.

Oh come on - it's your wet dream. Then when England loses you can wipe your semen encrusted hands clean to type out "hah hah" with a picture of Nelson.

I missed most of the game, but it sounds like Ukraine scored a goal but weren't given...you know...a goal?

goal line technology - desperately needed. Still would have only tied the game, but might have given the ukraine a lift.

I thought the officials standing by the goal line were there just to avoid things like this? What are they exactly doing and what are those sticks they are carrying? I haven't seen them do anything.

Guest Mirezzi

Oh come on - it's your wet dream. Then when England loses you can wipe your semen encrusted hands clean to type out "hah hah" with a picture of Nelson.

I'm actually perfectly okay with England winning. It'll be a more interesting story than Italy winning, let's be honest. And shocking.

P.S.

FLOL @ " Then when England loses you can wipe your semen encrusted hands clean to type out "hah hah" with a picture of Nelson."

It's only cause I love you mirezzi. It certainly would be a shock if England beat Italy. Can't see it though. Italy has had three harder matches, they have more creativity in their midfield. The only place I think they're weaker is actually in defense lol. I would start carroll and let him bruise the fuck out of the italians. they'll get pissed off and do something stupid. De Rossi won't be able to handle his physicality.

tauboo: i think the guys with the sticks are there to provide emergency rectal service to Busquets. The sticks supposedly have a button with which they can signal the ref. Fucking waste of space.

Guest Gary C

I thought the officials standing by the goal line were there just to avoid things like this? What are they exactly doing and what are those sticks they are carrying? I haven't seen them do anything.

Apparently, the ref has to consult them. They can't just wave that stick and tell him it was a goal, he has to want to ask them. It's stupid. They can't even help out with dubious corner-deflections or anything.

FIFA are idiots, but this is nothing new.

Guest Gary C

england will beat italy 2-1, i have the grey's sports almanac ;)

I don't want to be too optimistic, but I can see it happening.

Aside from Greece and Czech, Italy look like the most beatable team. Certainly consider the containment style that England are persevering with.

I think the benefits of playing Italy are their lack of pace, and the fact that they switch off in defence. If we stay focussed then we can contain them. Their strengths are when Pirlo gets time on the ball, and the movement of their attacking players is very smart. If we step off the gas then we'll be punished, we'll need to play at a higher tempo than last night, with the same containing tactics, and then hope that we can make the most of any chances.

The goal line technology debate must have been killed off now, we have to get in it. The problem is that goal line debates are only clear to see either from an above goal camera, or from a camera by the bottom of the post that can keep the goal line in shot. The assistant behind the goal would have had a tough job in calling that because although it was over, it wasn't massively over, and it was in the middle of the goal (hooked out by JT) and so when looking at the ball it's hard to position it relative to the posts and goalline. When you see the 'normal' camera angle it's hard to tell if it's over the line. It looks like it probably was, but the assistants and Ref have to be 100% sure it's a goal, to give a goal. Only when you see the camera above the goal can you clearly see it crossed the line.

An assistant on the goal line for the Lampard vs Germany goal would have be able to make the call, because the ball bounced behind the line, the effort last night was more difficult for a human to call.

Bring in hawkeye or something similar, it's rediculous that UEFA/FIFA seem more concerned with branded underpants than with goals, or racism...

also, it was offside.

Archived