IGNORED

EURO 2012

Guest MortstoX

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should make a sweepstake. We could probably have 2 or 3 teams each as there are so few of us.

Would be up for that. Could have one team from the top 2 seeded groups and one team from the bottom 2. Sure there's 8 of us who'd be into it.

How is the English press handling their expectations for their squad? It seems to me that they always have these super high expectations and then reality sets in and they are knocked out early in every tournament. Same thing this year?

How is the English press handling their expectations for their squad? It seems to me that they always have these super high expectations and then reality sets in and they are knocked out early in every tournament. Same thing this year?

Na I think they've been very muted and pretty realistic. Tabloid focus has been on the Olympics squad mainly, and with injuries to 'stars' like Wilshere there hasn't been much optimism. Personally I think we'll actually do quite well, we have a decent set of young enthusiastic players who've been playing week in week out (pretty much) in the PL. Players like Walker, P. Jones, Welbeck etc. I think Pearce will pick a sensible squad and whoever manages the team will just leave the senior players to get on and deal with it. The only issue is that Terry and Ferdinand have both been playing well (in the league), and whether they'll line up alongside each other.

My main issue with the squad is in the centre midfield, I'd rather have Lampard, Carrick, Cleverley or even players like Leon Britton instead of 'England Lions' like Parker or Gerrard. We need to learn how to keep the ball, our youngsters seem very good at this, but they won't learn when they train/play alongside Parker or Gerrard, who are tactically bereft.

Guest Gary C

Very little focus on the squad so far. Mostly just talk of Redknapp taking over.

Admittedly, I don't read international-team articles very often, but I don't think I've even seen as many as we usually have. I guess it'll all kick off once Manchester has fought between itself and there's nothing else exciting for football writers to go on about.

In my circle of friends at least, there is practically no expectation on England. We joke about getting knocked-out in the group stages... but in reality, with Redknapp deflecting a lot of the attention and confidence practically a non-topic, we could sneak our way into the quarter-finals or semis (if Wilshere is fit (which he won't be)).

I wouldn't have minded buying a shirt this year (anyone but England for styles sake), but all of them look like shit so far.

article-2130610-12A010C8000005DC-962_634x386.jpg

really excited for my summer in Berlin - hopefully Germany will bring it home. I wouldn't mind a sweepstakes either. I also hope croatia show up for these games - on paper a really great team. Come on Bilic do you magic!

Guest Gary C

You had your chance, you blew it.

Euro 04, Your midfield had players like Figo and Faux Ronaldo and you couldn't manage to beat Greece, fuck off, you don't deserve shit.

Fact. Portugal have had better teams in their recent history than they have now, but they're flaky. They seem to carry an arrogance way above their station. Almost French-like, but with no trophies to back it up.

Maybe things will be different, but Portugal are probably at the level of England in terms of seriously challenging. And that's a diss.

Lol trophees don't count for shit. The actual french team is ridiculous and their performance on the world cup was embarassing. And about that arrogance, I don't even understand what you're talking about.... Ronaldo? He was alot more arrogant before if he ever was.

Euro 04, Your midfield had players like Figo and Faux Ronaldo and you couldn't manage to beat Greece, fuck off, you don't deserve shit.

Errr. Greece won, so by that logic neither spain, the checz republic, france or the dutch deserve to win. Your argument is invalid.

I'm really happy that Greece won the Euro's in 2004 (despite they played some really defensive football). It's always great when a underdog wins a trophy.

I know how much it meant for my own country (Denmark) when we won the euro's in 92. The entire country was in a complete state of euphoria and it had such a big cultural impact. We're still talking about it to this day.

Errr. Greece won, so by that logic neither spain, the checz republic, france or the dutch deserve to win. Your argument is invalid.

Kana, the logic was: in '04 Portugal had a better team, but didn't win so now they wont either. Stop trolling.

And thank god for the Euro's. There's definitely a number of teams trying to prove something. Germany, Netherlands, France (!?), England (!?), Italy, ...

Ans Spain, of course.

Archived