IGNORED

the inescapable onslaught of blu ray

Guest yikes

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

My theory is that the OP is AXXO and he is angry people aren't downloading his shitty dvd rips anymore.

perfect

I'm curious what the point of 120hz refresh rates are to be totally honest

It allows for smoother motion (which is why LCD TVs with 120hz refresh rates or higher usually have the "motion flow" option), which reduces ghosting and blurring on fast-moving objects. This is beneficial while watching sports, or playing video games. For movies that are filmed @24fps, when this motion flow effect is applied, it gives the images a eerie, almost home-videotaped look.

if you want to know more: http://electronics.h...efresh-rate.htm

Thanks for the answer I was looking for! I knew films are at 24fps (or 23.976), but considering television is at 30fps (or 29.97), it still didn't make much sense why crazy-high refresh rates were wholly necessary. Considering I don't watch sports or play video games, I would not have figured this out on my own :cisfor:

Another benefit (you might have read this in the article I linked) is for films to be shown on regular 50/60hz televisions, there has to be a 3:2 pulldown to match the film's speed with the refresh rate. The higher refresh rate reduces film jitter because of this.

My theory is that the OP is AXXO and he is angry people aren't downloading his shitty dvd rips anymore.

perfect

Another benefit (you might have read this in the article I linked) is for films to be shown on regular 50/60hz televisions, there has to be a 3:2 pulldown to match the film's speed with the refresh rate. The higher refresh rate reduces film jitter because of this.

well color me educated :cool:

Here, have a snapshot from a high resolution movie rip to make you feel much better.

YzIxm.jpg

Ah, see - VHS through composite cables (hell, fuck the composite cable - let's go straight from the VCR to the TV with coax), that image would look loads better - colour bleeding, fuzziness, ghosting, cropping to a 4:3 aspect ratio - you can't compete with that!

Guest Franklin

I for one am happy about the picture progress as I just get increasingly nicer copies of shit on kat

did you know movies when encoded onto "56 vinyl records contain 80% more warmth in the textural grain-walls as well as significantly increased sub-frequencies on dubbed monologues?

Guest teetime

Hi guys dont believe them when they say 4k is the end of the ladder!

Wait for holo disc ( 3.9 Terabytes) and 8 k displays! :nyan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U7e_quvkPQ

Oh! I just realized you are still talking about 1080p content. :wink:

For me , apart from the joy of reaching in to cinema quality, being able to hear the uncompressed master of the audio is alone an argument to buy blu ray over dvd. Yes there are some transfers that are artificaly upscaled and contain the same , or even less (due horrid video "optimisation" algorythms - watch star wars episode 1 on blu ray/ noise reduction on film grain) quality image, but for the most blu rays give you an advantage in quality that is worth every penny investing.

I buy and love blurays, and dvds, and vhs and laserdiscs. I love all formats, each has their own little distinct feature to the image quality or experience of watching a movie on a certain format. I have a widescreen version of the abyss on VHS and that is cool watching a widescreen movie in VHS quality. Also Laserdiscs are amazing,

Archived