IGNORED

Music - New Releases Subforum

encey

To me, the 'New Releases' subforum is one of the best things about ni--er, WATMM. I find out about so much great new music there, and get to hear takes on albums that I hadn't thought about before, making me sometimes hear artists in completely new ways and appreciate someone I might have passed over before (e.g., Actress).

To me, this focus -- on music -- seems to be the conceptual heart of the forum, over and above the coverage of the classic WARP artists, and if it were my site, I would look for ways to make that subforum even more interactive and interestingly formatted -- such as an option to rate albums and an overall average rating displayed somewhere prominent in the thread or its subforum entry, a page where you can see what other artists and albums a particular user recommends, a feature based on the tags system where you could be alerted via e-mail or PM when someone starts a new thread about that artist or album or whatever's in the tag, a sort of 'fill-in-the-blank' place in each 'new release' thread for a link to a page that contains samples and purchase info., that anyone can edit (but maybe that has to be approved by the subforum moderator), maybe something fancy that uses social media-based music players to generate a list of the users' favorite tracks of the month or year or something would be cool.

(This is all just, 'if I had infinite resources and time'-based thinking. But I know that Joyrex has been wanting to make music and music discussion the centerpiece of the WATMM website, and to me, working on community-building and info.-aggregating features from the New Releases subforum seems like a strong way to go forward. Sorry for the unsolicited advice!)

Share your love for 'New Releases'!

e

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

I remember that not that long ago, threads from Your Latest Creations could be rated and i never understood why releases on the new releases subforum couldn't get a rating as well...

Yeah, and I may be naive, but I think people who post in that subforum take it seriously enough that they would not, as a rule, abuse the rating feature.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

yep

I think it fine just as it is. Maybe it could be more IMDBish where each album has a page with cover art, tracklistings, release date, etc. But I like it how it is now really.

I dislike the new tagging system as the tags are too big or distracting. if the title is 'Autechre' and the tag says 'Autechre'... whats the point?

Guest ruiagnelo

I think it would be interesting to be able to comment but also review a release on that subforum. You can always write your review but it will get lost among all the [sometimes ridiculous] discussion. It would be cool to have a separate space, inside the thread, but for review comments only. Those reviews could have a summary quote, and those quotes could randomly pop up on the subforum menu.

I dislike the new tagging system as the tags are too big or distracting. if the title is 'Autechre' and the tag says 'Autechre'... whats the point?

tags are indeed pointless, but then again, only troon seems to use them

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

New releases subforum is definintely the main reason why I come here as well. In response to ruiagnelo's post, maybe there could be a separate section of the website solely dedicated to reviews, bit like what blogs are / were like but solely for member reviews? Might make discussing an album a bit all over the place (having to hop from review page to discussion page and all that), but it'd be nice to have a place where finding reviews would be easier.

Also semi-music forum related, but anyone else feeling that the featured artist subforums are sort of becoming irrelevant? The only subforum that seems to get any half-decent discussion is the Ae forum; the rest are either dead or filled with where's my new album / disturbing fanboy threads. I understand the subforums kind of set WATMM apart from most other electronic music forums, but it does feel sometimes they all could be simply merged into Warp / Planet Mu / Rephlex subforums and the tagging system could be used to distinguish which artist you're talking about.

Guest ruiagnelo

New releases subforum is definintely the main reason why I come here as well. In response to ruiagnelo's post, maybe there could be a separate section of the website solely dedicated to reviews, bit like what blogs are / were like but solely for member reviews?

And members could then comment those reviews?

because that sounds like the same as creating a thread which is a review for a certain record and then get watmm's feedback on the review and also on the record.

but then again i must confess you are right when you say it would be a mess to hop between pages...

Also semi-music forum related, but anyone else feeling that the featured artist subforums are sort of becoming irrelevant? The only subforum that seems to get any half-decent discussion is the Ae forum; the rest are either dead or filled with where's my new album / disturbing fanboy threads. I understand the subforums kind of set WATMM apart from most other electronic music forums, but it does feel sometimes they all could be simply merged into Warp / Planet Mu / Rephlex subforums and the tagging system could be used to distinguish which artist you're talking about.

WATMM is above all a place for fanboys to discuss and wank about the "idm" stars. we are not in the 90's anymore, but still it would kind of kill it's purpose, i guess

yeah, if we could implement like a decimal rating system for albums on a ten point scale; this site would soar.

/troll answer

but yeah I completely agree with everything, the tags suck, new releases subforum is great - even with all of troon's bullshit. (90% of the releases anyone cares about aren't spammed from him)

right. watmm would be great if we didn't have to listen to dr. lopez wetfart about troon endlessly. seriously, where do you get off talking such smelly diarrhea out of your rotten vagina mouth you filthy little whore.

i'm sweet as apple pie when I'm not provoked, but there are select users here who bring out my bloody teeth and flesh rip claws. fuck off lopez! i've put up with your flappy cunt mouth for 3 long years now

and i've reached the end of my ability to be patient with you. stfu!

Guest sirch

YEAH.

shut up lopez. you're so gay for troon! you and several others.

what has troon ever done wrong? ..without being provoked or somebody starting on him first? for no real reason.

90% of your posts are shite, slagging him off.. all the time. ya dick. get over it!

yeah i say get rid of the artist forums. there's clearly no website (fansite) content coming anyway (not complaining about that, it's not needed)... so might as well broaden it. no offense intended towards Cylob, but it's a bit weird to have a messageboard with a cylob forum

fuck, i wanted to make a serious suggestion/point but failed

yeah troon! Stop posting about music on a music forum!

the main purpose of this forum is to post in general banter about how drunk you are. mainly because you got nothing else to do than sit on your fat ass and get drunk alone in front of the computer every single weekend! either that, or posting in a thread about being socially awkward for 50 pages or something. drunk, sad and socially awkward! What a combination! The true spirit of watmm!

Guest sirch

troon should be made mod of the new releases section. and i'm not even joking.

he's 1 of the backbones of this place really.

troon, haters are gonna hate dude. fuck 'em. :)

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

troon should be made mod of the new releases section. and i'm not even joking.

he's 1 of the backbones of this place really.

troon, haters are gonna hate dude. fuck 'em. :)

Troon / Redruth already is. Check the bottom of the New and Upcoming Releases subforum and you'll see "This forum led by Benedict Cumberbatch, Site Administrator, Moderators, Redruth"

'tis a damn good subforum. I pass over so much new electronic music because I want to listen to so many other things, but Machinedrum's Room(s) and Shackleton's new stuff are notable, noteworthy stuff. I thank thee subforum for introducing me to that shit. ♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♫♪ ♪

Guest theSun

right. watmm would be great if we didn't have to listen to dr. lopez wetfart about troon endlessly. seriously, where do you get off talking such smelly diarrhea out of your rotten vagina mouth you filthy little whore.

i'm sweet as apple pie when I'm not provoked, but there are select users here who bring out my bloody teeth and flesh rip claws. fuck off lopez! i've put up with your flappy cunt mouth for 3 long years now

and i've reached the end of my ability to be patient with you. stfu!

8/10

i've come across an unbelievable amount of music from this forum, a few artists from troon. he's a bit off but a-ok to me, keep at it. i'm way too lazy to find more music.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

I think it would be interesting to be able to comment but also review a release on that subforum. You can always write your review but it will get lost among all the [sometimes ridiculous] discussion. It would be cool to have a separate space, inside the thread, but for review comments only. Those reviews could have a summary quote, and those quotes could randomly pop up on the subforum menu.

tags are indeed pointless, but then again, only troon seems to use them

they probably help the search but i think we need to hide them on the display

I mean, are there any other sites with a focus on good electronic music and a fanbase the size we have? I think that should be WATMM's selling point -- come here for info. on the best and biggest range of good electronic music you can find ... and a 100-page Skrillex thread.

Troon should be isolated to the new releases forum so we don't have to read his poorly thought out and thoroughly useless posts elsewhere. He can stick to posting way too many threads in new releases about substandard albums and claiming they're "thoroughly magical and soul cleansing" so I can identify which albums to not check out.

It's a good simple system that works.

Guest sirch

Troon should be isolated to the new releases forum so we don't have to read his poorly thought out and thoroughly useless posts elsewhere. He can stick to posting way too many threads in new releases about substandard albums and claiming they're "thoroughly magical and soul cleansing" so I can identify which albums to not check out.

It's a good simple system that works.

here's an even more simple system that will work much much better: put him on ignore if he really bothers you that much. !

duh. :fail:

Guest sirch

I agree that 'new releases' is 1 of the best, if not the best and most worthwhile thing about this place.

that and some select artist subforums, and 'music discussion'. also, WATMMixes can be decent, too.

Gen Ban is generally usually a waste of time and life.

After you, fucknuts.

troon doesn't bother me. never has.

i don't see why some people are sooooo bothered by him. it's kind of pathetic really.

seems like some people are only jumping on a hate bandwagon for the sake of it, for some reason. which is a bit sad!

I'm not really bothered by him. I just think he posts a lot of quasi philosophical, ill thought out bullshit. Tries to sound all mysterious and holier than thou, but ends up coming across as a trustafarian nerd. Remember his social experiment? Pure cuntitude.

I quite enjoy hurling abuse at him, he's so dense it barely affects him anyway.

You think people care enough about jumping on a bandwagon on a forum? I doubt it. I think you take this too seriously sunshine.

Also I'm curious, roughly in a month how many keyboards do you break from all the dribbling?

Archived