IGNORED

Let's see your videos WATMM

tontonz1

Guest Mirezzi

Wow, these are amazing videos. Good shit the overlook! You have a very keen eye for detail.

Thanks, tontonz! <3 <3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

I have see both of the first films, need to watch because I remember enjoying AJ a lot. I remember really loving the feel of Gerald in Fall but perhaps was overall a little too quirky for my tastes. Will watch them both again.

127 Masters - The feel and subject matter gave me the tingles for some reason. Love this. The different looks on all of these men's faces and knowing what their jobs were/are, really hit me. Thinking about all of the writing that each of the have done and edited is mind boggling. The switch from b&w to colour was really interesting as I think you were trying to show a different time line, a more recent one? If that is the case, BRILLIANT!I am sure you thought of all this Mirezzi. You achieved something great with this short.

Rae - well........Female body image examined to degree, involving pregnancy, I haven't seen on film before. The frightening aspects of being pregnant must be a very tough thing for most modern women to go through with worship of celebrity being at an all time high. I loved the composition in this even though I found the film to be a bit slow moving. The messing with the focus of the shots is a great touch. Showing how unsure a person can be of themselves when made vulnerable. The shot of her belly and then to the shot of your child? Mirezzi? Is fantastic. Great work once again. The last shot made the whole film for me.

Thanks for the support, Cody. You're one of my favorite boyfriends. :wub:

The shot of Rae's pregnant belly and our daughter was meant to address (via my edit) the section of her manuscript dealing with fertility. She had been told by three different doctors, much to her devastation, that anorexia as a teenager had rendered her infertile. Among other things, she couldn't have her period without supplementing hormones. Rae was all: "You go right back up there and get me a toddler. I need a baby, H.I." I said I'd do whatever it took.

We were given a whole spectrum of fertility treatment possibilities, including in vitro, clomid, etc. It turned out that all of that was unnecessary, 'cause on the morning of the start of the 2010 World Cup, she came downstairs shaking, crying, out of breath. "I'm pregnant!" I spit my coffee out as South Africa and Mexico ran onto the pitch. :)

As zaphod pointed out, it's my only overtly personal work but I don't mind that it's being shared here. Bros before hos, right? After all, Rae wrote a manuscript and gives lectures on the topic, so her story is fairly public at this point.

very cool mister, very cool! I am glad that she shares the hard times of being a female with others to get them prepared in some/any way that probably was looked over by many doctors. A noble thing she is doing. I am proud of her for doing this, I am sure you are extremely.

Guest Mirezzi

127 masters seems pretty obviously about old white men in institutions. i think it's the most complete of the videos in terms of subject matter melding with execution. the old white guys have a lot of humanity in those photos. i dunno, isn't it pretty obvious what it is saying? or did i miss something?

Nope. You nailed it. It helped, within the peculiar context of Southern Illinois University, to know what I was doing. 30% of the students in radio and journalism are black. Right outside the daily newspaper, hilariously named The Daily Egyptian, they set up this hall/wall of fame for regional newspaper editors. 100% white. 96% male. One of the charter member institutions at SIUC was the KKK. I thought that might not be unusual, but as it turns out...that's unusual. Very segregated and racially fucked up, tense place. 10 miles southeast of Carbondale is Anna, Illinois. Anna's a sundown town and ANNA is actually an acronym. Aint No Niggers Allowed. The piece is more about the representation of whiteness than racism, but again, the context of SIUC emphasizes its power.

My goal was: Frederick Wiseman's High School meets the last 90 seconds of The Shining. Like most artistic products of oppositional culture, it runs the risk of being misunderstood. "Man, you must really like nerdy old guys with glasses!"

i like a.j. a lot. reminds me of a george saunders story in feel.

^5, nice one. That's flattering.

i watched gerald in fall a long time ago. i'm not sure it's totally successful, some of the acting is a little off. i like the man child aspect of it, but it felt a little forced compared to your other narrative work.

Ugh, I feel the same way. It was an exercise, more than anything else, in editing around a lot of bad decisions. Mostly my own. Granted, it was the first time I ever attempted to make a film, narrative or otherwise. I'm not sure if you've seen the last cut, which was leaps and bounds beyond the original edit in terms of pacing, etc.

127 masters is my favorite of your films that i've seen.

Agreed. From concept to execution, it's probably my most successful work. I haven't done much with it, but it was screened at a conference on 'Race and the Cultural Industries'. Not much you can do with short films, but they're still fun to make.

lovely work Overlook, you have inspired me to reach greater heights in my own video/film stuff

here are a couple of music videos i made for my own tracks and just other random shit

olar eclipse ritual video

ellowstone mud pots

y back yard

he only one not in HD is my hardest worked on video, using the same program Coldcut used to edit, Vjamm

Guest Mirezzi

'Organic Caedence' reminds me of 70's video art, although it might be more successful as an installation. Once upon a time, it was an insanely physical, time-intensive labor to cut video. If I weren't lazy and anti-social, I'd love to do multichannel installations. I kinda 'faked' it with Nature Hates Calculators. as when it was projected on a large screen in HD, each YouTube window appeared to act independently.

I can't imagine how much time you spent on it, but it's very clever. Even the crudeness of standard def places it as an early 2000's project.

The synth pop in your driving video is awesome/infectious although I hate the traffic so much in California that it merely reinforces my desire to never live there!

Re: the eclipse video, I found it so playful (accordion) that I suspected it was a bit of a prank and would end in a reveal that you're just filming a light bulb through construction paper or something.

Beautiful stuff Benji :) Having seen AJ and Gerald In Fall, I had pretty high expectations for any other work I so happen to stumble upon.

Nature Hates Calculators - That opening is something else... really builds up some tension, like an approaching storm. I re-watched the beginning 3 times now. I began to lose interest when the music began to take control of things... although some beautiful imagery throughout. Enjoyed the from death, destruction, comes life motifs that were sprinkled about.

127 Masters - Beautifully shot and executed... really like the shot which transitions from black and white (past) to color (present) as the two black students walk on by. Of course the long tracking shot is amazing too. Timing, patience,score.... all great.

Rae - I too felt a bit voyeuristic watching this. It was raw and honest which I really appreciated.. the opening really set it up for that type of mood. Beautiful shot and edited, although the deeply out-of-focus bits seemed to lose their poise with repeated usage.

Looking forward to more!

Guest zaphod

lovely work Overlook, you have inspired me to reach greater heights in my own video/film stuff

here are a couple of music videos i made for my own tracks and just other random shit

[media=]

[/media]olar eclipse ritual video

this is really cool. the effect is disorienting. good song.

Jesus Christ overlook, fucking killer!!! I'm not posting anything I had anything to do with. including the muffled overblown iPhone video I took of radiohead doing how to disappear completely the other night. no matter how hard I was skeet skeeting.

Yeah overlook. Those are really awesome!

This is my partner interviewing Shlohmo. I basically just did the opening and closing slides. No biggie! :)

Guest Mirezzi

Beautiful stuff Benji :) Having seen AJ and Gerald In Fall, I had pretty high expectations for any other work I so happen to stumble upon.

Thanks for watching, brother. I haven't seen many updates from you on the recent artwork thread, but your Flickr feed is chock full of delicious. The spirit of Robert Frank serves you well.

Nature Hates Calculators - That opening is something else... really builds up some tension, like an approaching storm. I re-watched the beginning 3 times now. I began to lose interest when the music began to take control of things... although some beautiful imagery throughout. Enjoyed the from death, destruction, comes life motifs that were sprinkled about.

I think this was a piece that was close to being a lot better than it is, but I don't have material or patience to work it any further. The sad reality is that I was about a year or more late on this story as most of the tens of thousands of trees that had fallen in that storm were gone...absorbed, reconstituted. Hence, my use of the deer carcass and the enormous Bess Beetle. So my project was more...reification through recursion. In the end, maybe it's not contrived, but it can be read too easily as pedantic, or worse, platitude?

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah overlook. Those are really awesome!

This is my partner interviewing Shlohmo. I basically just did the opening and closing slides. No biggie! :)

[media=]

[/media]

Shlohmo wails. I love Camping.

jules - lol. Just post it...!

Thanks for watching, brother. I haven't seen many updates from you on the recent artwork thread, but your Flickr feed is chock full of delicious. The spirit of Robert Frank serves you well.

Aww shucks :emb:

Man I ain't got nothing on my channels that's any good or isn't family.

Here's a Japanese band playing at a small festival in South Korea.

1/2 Experimental film + 1/2 Music video. Mostly, I wanted an excuse to shoot video of forests in Southern Illinois.

(Music: Leafcutter John - The Forest and the Sea)

https://vimeo.com/23736894

screenshot20120531at935.png

beautiful stuff mate! great mood throughout and awesome choice for the soundtrack! hadn't heard any leafcutter in aaaaggggeees.

will be checking your other vids. you got talent!

the kind "The Overlook" directed me to this wonderful page, apologies to those who notice this cheeky re-post:

teaser/trailer to my graduation film that i'm still trying to cut together

https://vimeo.com/43490693

look forward to going back over the pages when I get a chance and looking into the work posted

Guest Mirezzi

beautiful stuff mate! great mood throughout and awesome choice for the soundtrack! hadn't heard any leafcutter in aaaaggggeees.

will be checking your other vids. you got talent!

Thanks, sweetheart. <3

Leafcutta4life

Archived