IGNORED

ACTA rejected by EU

chenGOD

Overwhelmingly rejected.

This is awesome news. Without the EU support, ACTA is dead as a piece of global legislation.

Gotta love the industry's response:

Alan Drewsen, executive director of the International Trademark Association, warned that Europe could now be left behind when it comes to protecting intellectual property.

"Europe could have seized the chance to support an important treaty that improved intellectual property standards internationally," he said

Running scared.

I heard Canada fucked up recently with Copyright Laws. Something about DVDs/CDs having protected security locks to prevent people making copies and transferring them to different media devices. Not sure how they expect to enforce it, which makes the decision all the more ridiculous.

Cool.

My biggest fear is that they'll come back stronger than ever. I wouldn't be surprise if they do like a false flag kind of thing.

From my understanding of how the EU parliament works (admittedly limited), especially after the Lisbon ruling, once it's been rejected it cannot be revived. They may try again under a different guise, but the Lisbon ruling is supposed to increase transparency in how regulations are developed, limiting the effectiveness of corporate backroom deals.

good news !

i think ill just go download me some big budget hollywood film, burn it on a dvd and just throw the dvd in the trash to celebrate this occasion.

the lobbyists still have a chance. they can bribe MPs in teh national parliaments

Doesn't the EU parliament ruling preclude this possibility?

Guest Frankie5fingers

WOO HOO! we stopped it! *meanwhile about a hundred other shitty legislation laws are already being written up to replace it* but who cares! we stopped this one!

WOO HOO! we stopped it! *meanwhile about a hundred other shitty legislation laws are already being written up to replace it* but who cares! we stopped this one!

And those treaties will have to undergo the same scrutiny, with more transparency in the way by which they are created. Celebrating victories allows people to see that the voice of the people can be heard, and make a difference. As it was the protests throughout Europe which caused the EU parliament to vote this way.

Guest Frankie5fingers

And those treaties will have to undergo the same scrutiny, with more transparency in the way by which they are created. Celebrating victories allows people to see that the voice of the people can be heard, and make a difference. As it was the protests throughout Europe which caused the EU parliament to vote this way.

trust me, at one point the governments that want this will eventually just say "fuck you" to the public and censor the internet anyways. im glad that we can still stop them now. but they no doubt have something in the works that will bypass the voting process completely. and no matter how much we bitch and complain nothing short of revolution will change it. these old fucks that run our countries have no idea what they are doing, and don't understand the ramifications of doing this. unless we can fight back for a couple generations, then it will dropped completely when the younger ones get in.

PIRACY RULES!

Archived