IGNORED

liquids under an electron microscope

david

If you believe these are real - or that "electron microscopes" even exist - then I'm not surprised you don't question the official account of 9/11.

vodka and vo

bNJJt.jpg

Wowza...

that is genuinely incredible. could easily pass this off as a cool painting.

vodka (above) and vodka tonic (below) are looooovely. but i also don't really get what i'm looking at.

LlVkn.jpg

From a little bit of internet research I discovered that electron microscopes are indeed real, and they normally provide pictures of what things really look like, except zoomed in. They also provide colourless images.

Is it possible that these are real pictures of the textures in the liquids (you can see carbonation in the vodka tonic, for example), but the contrast is exaggerated and then they are falsly coloured afterwards?

It could also be that these are pictures of how the liquids interact with slides. If you put a liquid between two slides, it will disperse in interesting ways. This seems to make sense of the whiskey picture for me.

It would be interesting to have more information.

From a little bit of internet research I discovered that electron microscopes are indeed real

lol

http://www.bevshots.com/

"BevShots® are photographs of alcohol under a microscope. These high-quality photographs of your favorite beers, wines, cocktails, liquors and mixers were taken after they have been crystallized on a slide and shot under a polarized light microscope. As the light refracts through the beverage crystals, the resulting photos have naturally magnificent colors and composition. When showcased on giclée canvas or metallic prints, BevShots vibrant colors bring a modern element to any room whether used for loft decorating, home wall décor, or abstract poster art. BevShots not only make perfect home wall art but also cool gift ideas. Whether you need creative birthday gift ideas, gifts for housewarming parties, groomsmen wedding gifts, creative gifts for Christmas, etc. BevShots are the perfect choice. Remember to Decorate Responsibly"

So it's not an electron microscope. Those are mainly used to get a closer look at surfaces.pollen.jpg?41ed4f

Liquids under an electron microscope would look like a more or less flat surface.

Electron microscopes are not real. You'd be electrocuted if you touched one, for a start. :rolleyes:

lol

@ th555: good looking out! interesting that this is just polarized light microscopy. it would be nice if they'd put a scale marker somewhere on the images so we could know just how zoomed in these are...

Regarding the "how would an electron microscope work in liquids?" question, it looks like there's been some advancing technology making it easier:

There has, understandably, been only a limited amount of

experimental work on electron interactions with water (e.g.

Schenk et al., 1998) because of the practical difficulty of

performing such work in a conventional scanning electron

microscope (SEM). However, with the development of the

Quantomix

TM

sealed capsule technology (Thiberge et al.,

2004) it is now a matter of routine to use the SEM to image

liquids and to image objects immersed in liquids. To properly

interpret and optimize such images, however, it is necessary to

have quantitative data about the nature of the electron beam

interactions involved.

from http://www.emsdiasum...et/DavidJoy.pdf, though that's just one of many papers on the advances of SEM technology to image things in their more natural environments (biological is probably the most interesting to researchers, but booze is awesome too)

these images are lovely btw, the very tiny is just as wonderful looking as the very huge. glad we've got the technology to start seeing it now :wub:

Liquids under an electron microscope would look like a more or less flat surface.

mmm, maybe some, but actually the detail allowed by EM would probably show you incredible amounts of detail in just a tiny, thin amount of liquid. it wouldn't be possible to, you know, scan an entire lake (or even a glass of water), but a thin-film of liquid would be easy to see and would reveal all sorts of cool features 5X265.gif

God bless web 2.0 (i.e. tumblr et al, or is that web 3.0 ?) for just blindly taking images from other sites, with no information, no credits, and seemingly re-appropriating them as their own. Here's some actual details on the thing, including links to the author of the pictures ....

http://www.insanetwist.com/2011/08/microscopic-images-of-alcoholic-drinks.html

God bless web 2.0 (i.e. tumblr et al, or is that web 3.0 ?) for just blindly taking images from other sites, with no information, no credits, and seemingly re-appropriating them as their own. Here's some actual details on the thing, including links to the author of the pictures ....

http://www.insanetwist.com/2011/08/microscopic-images-of-alcoholic-drinks.html

God bless google images, which now enables us to determine the source of any reposted image pretty easily. But yeah, spreading things like this isn't ideal for the creators...

ahh so they're dried up... makes sense i guess. still though, what's with the colours? anyone know about that?

AFAIK, that'd be because the crystals/etc. formed are birefringent.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Birefringence

When such a sample is placed between two crossed polarizers, colour patterns can be observed, because polarization of a light ray is rotated after passing through a birefingent material and the amount of rotation is dependent on wavelength.

From a little bit of internet research I discovered that electron microscopes are indeed real

lol

It sure is amazing what you can do on this here information superhighway!

http://www.bevshots.com/

"BevShots® are photographs of alcohol under a microscope. These high-quality photographs of your favorite beers, wines, cocktails, liquors and mixers were taken after they have been crystallized on a slide and shot under a polarized light microscope. As the light refracts through the beverage crystals, the resulting photos have naturally magnificent colors and composition. When showcased on giclée canvas or metallic prints, BevShots vibrant colors bring a modern element to any room whether used for loft decorating, home wall décor, or abstract poster art. BevShots not only make perfect home wall art but also cool gift ideas. Whether you need creative birthday gift ideas, gifts for housewarming parties, groomsmen wedding gifts, creative gifts for Christmas, etc. BevShots are the perfect choice. Remember to Decorate Responsibly"

That makes more sense, and is super cool.

http://www.insanetwi...lic-drinks.html

Coca Cola! Nice detective work, sir.

i wonder what piss looks like

Probably lots of urea crystals:

5988150382_e20cea9263_z.jpg

16401.jpg

Stuff can look radically different if you tamper with the stuff while it's drying, though. The bottom one was done by blowing on the plate to get the swooshy effect, according to the guy who made it.

Archived