IGNORED

laptop

FLA FUR BIS FLE

I know a thread likes this pops up every now and then, but I am too lazy to do a search.

I am in the market for a new (cheap) laptop and I don't want to by Asus again. The last Asus I owned (which is the one that just broke 2 minutes ago) had a lot of issues that I'd rather not deal with again, such as over heating, terrible track pad, hinges on LCD going to shit for no good reason at all.

I hear Lenovo's are OK, and was also thinking about possibly getting a Think pad, but I am not sure. Shed some light on this, WATMM.

Also don't say mac because mac's are whack.

I currently have a mid-range ASUS and have noted its urge to go thermonuclear, solved this by getting a somewhat clunky fan/laptop stand.. I had an Acer for a long while and it treated me quite well, perhaps look that direction if you're in the neighborhood for cheap? It really all kindof depends on how cheap, what you're using it for ect...

How'd the Asus break exactly?

Well it was rather old for a laptop (about 5 years or so, maybe a bit more) and I had problems with the LCD hinges from the start. I've also had overheating issues since about the second year of ownership. I sent it in for a screen repair once as I had it in my tour bag and did some stupid shit with it during a flight, and I cracked the screen. So, when I sent it in they fixed the hinges without charging me. Sadly, they kept coming loose and the screen was rather floppy etc, and the overheating problem just got worse and worse. I even sent in the laptop one more time after that because of a total meltdown which fried the motherboard (luckily no HD damage). So It's been about a year since that happened, and ever since then the hinges continually just started to go to shit. It got so bad that I was having to constantly tighten them my self, but doing so caused them to just become warped and totally useless. Today, I tried closing the screen (mind you, the LCD is basically popping out of the frame at this point) and and because of how everything was situated, the screen took a hit and became cracked AGAIN.

I would send it in for a repair if I was in warranty, and if the laptop was new...but it isn't, and it is just time I got a new one any how. I've read a few reviews of Asus online that have said similar things about the hinges on the screens, so I don't think this is just isolated to me. Also good to know that I am not the only one in the thermonuclear overheating problem boat.

BTW I am currently using an Acer which I am borrowing from my girlfriend. It's pretty terrible, but I have a feeling that is more to do with the bloatware installed on it. I like how it is set up, and it feels pretty sturdy for how cheap it was. I am not sure if I want to buy one though. Price wise, I'd like to stay under 1g.

Also, use for the computer is primarily for shows. So I would need a decent amount of RAM to run software without having too many hiccups. I am a gamer, but not overly concerned about playing games on the laptop. Even then, the games I usually play do not require a lot to run (MOBA's, MMORPGS).

That sounds like a nightmare. I haven't had too much problem with my Asus besides the heat, which when making music is almost scary. Your horror story reminds me of when I was money drunk and bought a ballin' Ibuypower laptop that was nice for about 2 months, I never really took it online or downloaded much, but the thing became a complete pile of shit. Had the same problem with the hinges. Didn't help that it was a plastic case for the most part, but it literally was a surface hot enough to cook eggs on with a broken out screen hanging off one hinge by the end of a year.

Lenovo or Acer's are what i'd suggest. I thought you were thinking under 500$ or something... You can get some good gear for under 1k nowadays for sure!

I am trying to stay between 500 and 800, but am willing to go over if it is like, THE DEAL OF THE CENTURY or something. And yes, this Asus while amazing at first, turned in to a shit fest after taking it on tour. I tried to treat it right, wine and dine it, buy it nice things, but it just couldn't sort its shit out. :[

My last HP managed about five years, in which time it had several beers and one bong spilled on it, innumerable drops, and even a tumble down a flight of stairs (albeit in a bag). I was astounded it kept going for so long. It died a couple of months ago, too right I was getting another HP.

Guest Ron Manager

I'm going to be in the market around Christmas for a new laptop and I'm considering Samsung. Know family/friends who've enjoyed them and had success, and I own an NC10 netbook which is still brilliant (3 years old now and battery is still about 5 hours).

sort of not really. i do most of my serious gaming on my desktop, or xbox. I occasionally play games like Guild Wars 2/SMITE/LoL on my (now broken) laptop and they ran OK on that. Enough to keep me busy if I wasn't doing school work or music stuff. So yeah, I am not too worried about using it for gaming. I def don't want to get a laptop with one of those intel gpu's though.

I am about to pull the trigger on this newegg purchase. still thinking on it....it's the best price i've found so far, for what I want. it also allows to expand to 8gb of ram. I LIKE OPTIONS.

Guest disparaissant

from everything i have heard, lenovo is the way to go for pc laptops.

i had an acer that barely lasted me 9 months. ended up going apple in the end though. <3 my macbook air.

i've just got a new job and they've provided me with a Lenovo - nothing amazing, but Core i5, 2GB RAM etc...pretty standard work laptop. seems to be performing very well for work so far though! but when i get home it's all about the iMac i'm afraid...

i'd say 5 years is pretty good life for a laptop.

Say WHAAAA?! you can get 5 years out of a laptop? I don't think I have gotten more than 3yrs tops on any of mine. I guess I really should stop producing on my laptop, I bet it eats it up like no other...

@ TRM - That one looks good. and the price is dead on. You shall have thine options.

i'd say 5 years is pretty good life for a laptop.

Say WHAAAA?! you can get 5 years out of a laptop? I don't think I have gotten more than 3yrs tops on any of mine. I guess I really should stop producing on my laptop, I bet it eats it up like no other...

@ TRM - That one looks good. and the price is dead on. You shall have thine options.

just saying cause TRM said his lasted that long..

My Toshiba's still going after 3 years, and it's still very capable. Overheated a couple of times but that's because I've left it on a blanket or something. Replaced the battery last month because I'm negligent when it comes to proper charging routines.

Guest Franklin

shit like overheating is a common problem spread out over all laptop makers and only a problem with particular models.

I've had a number of asus products over the years and havent had that issue or the hinge issue at all. I've not had low-end asus products tho to be fair.

Archived