IGNORED

chimpanzee revenge killings

data

exerting dominance and for their own pleasure.

Yeah. So let's go over this again:

That's not the same as using it to torture people, or using it as a strategic weapon of warfare like these people do in the Congo. There are no documented cases of animals using sex specifically to inflict suffering on others.

...and the whole reason these wars in the Congo exist is so we can get precious metals from them:

http://en.wikipedia....nflict_minerals

Let's hope those chimps aren't smart enough to make it across the ocean and take out the real threat.

basically yeah. nailed it. What the Belgians did to the inhabitants of the Congo basin is beyond disgusting...and they continued to interfere long after independence, resulting in Mobutu and now this shit.

exerting dominance and for their own pleasure.

Yeah. So let's go over this again:

That's not the same as using it to torture people, or using it as a strategic weapon of warfare like these people do in the Congo. There are no documented cases of animals using sex specifically to inflict suffering on others.

When i say exerting dominance, I mean over other chimpanzee tribes. It is used as a weapon of war to expand the tribe.

And rape always involves inflicting suffering on others.

Anyways - just keep keeping on believing that only humans are the ones bad enough.

The Congo conflict is messy, but it involves more than conflict minerals and sexual violence.

Want some PDFs?

When i say exerting dominance, I mean over other chimpanzee tribes. It is used as a weapon of war to expand the tribe.

And rape always involves inflicting suffering on others.

Anyways - just keep keeping on believing that only humans are the ones bad enough.

The Congo conflict is messy, but it involves more than conflict minerals and sexual violence.

Want some PDFs?

They don't use it to dominate other tribes. That isn't mentioned in your (wikipedia lol) citation. In the Congo, as I mentioned, they use rape for the sole purposes of sadism and control. I didn't deny the OP, nor claim that chimpanzees were totally innocent. I didn't mention conflict minerals.

Can we take this to a YouTube comments section? Maybe you'd feel more at home there.

The Congo conflict comment was directed toward Smetty and others discussing that. Sorry if having two conversations in the same thread is too much for you to process.

Here - read this, especially page 371, which discusses males attacking females in intergroup exchanges.

25064834.pdf

The Congo conflict comment was directed toward Smetty and others discussing that. Sorry if having two conversations in the same thread is too much for you to process.

Here - read this, especially page 371, which discusses males attacking females in intergroup exchanges.

im quite read up on the subject, but the more articles the merrier. obviously minerals themselves do not equal civil war and ethnic tension, but there is absolutely no doubt that the 1960 secession movement occurred due to Belgian interests in Katanga. Without the business interests, the rebellion would have been quelled.

The Congo conflict comment was directed toward Smetty and others discussing that.

im quite read up on the subject, but the more articles the merrier. obviously minerals themselves do not equal civil war and ethnic tension, but there is absolutely no doubt that the 1960 secession movement occurred due to Belgian interests in Katanga. Without the business interests, the rebellion would have been quelled.

Oh yeah mos def, I'm not arguing that the business interests didn't play a large role in the conflict, I'm just saying there were a bunch of other factors. I'm attaching 5 pdfs here, The Baaz and Stern article and Cohen article deal with sexual violence, Gambino is more a recent background article. There's also the issue of sexual violence towards men, which is often overlooked in these conflicts, but I didn't include any articles on it. If you want, i can throw up a few.

The Humphreys/Weinstein article looks at why people become involved in conflict, and the Collier article looks at motivations beyond simple economics.

Collier begins by arguing there must be a simple logic - wars are too expensive for any social/political gain - must be an economic rationale.

But in reality, people fight with no economic benefit in sight, and they understood that there will not be much economic gain. Thus, grievance is important.

There are generally four "traps" which kind of predict civil war:

1. Conflict trap - cycle of conflict (All civil wars since 2003 are repeaters, data from World Bank Report)

2. Natural resources trap (availability initiates and prolongs conflict)

3. Governance trap - bad governance within a small country - incentives for corruption

4. Location - landlocked with bad neighbours

The Congo is basically the poster child for all those factors, plus it has the historical legacy.

Baaz and Stern - Complexity of Violence.pdf

Cohen - Causes of Sexual Violence during Civil War.pdf

Gambino - World Development Report.pdf

Humphreys Weinstein - Who fights.pdf

Collier Hoeffler Rohner - Beyond greed.pdf

I've posted a blog entry I've been sitting on for a while, which goes into depth about some of the psychological stuff behind the chimpanzee killings.

Thanks for your info, ChenGOD. Really came in useful. Just one thing - I didn't see the refernce you mentioned in that first PDF, it just seems to be discussing intergroup changes in general? There's no mention of rape at all.

If you didn't understand my original point, which is entirely possible, I've explained it much better in the blog entry.

If you read the page I suggested you'll see that it talks distinctly and clearly about male on female physical (sexual) violence. If you keep reading, it discusses the results of sexual violence on the attitudes of female chimpanzees decision making regarding habitat locales.

Don't chimps mostly tend to attack mother chimps from other tribes? I read somewhere that male chimps are least likely to get aggressive with a member of a different tribe if that member is a sexy adolescent chimp, and will only attack her if she tries to run. :spiteful: When they encounter male chimps from other tribes, they mostly just hoot and holler and dance around at each other.

The article I put up tends to back that up luke - they attack the mothers cause by dominating them it makes it easier to bring the young into the group, ot at least that's my interpretation...but I'm no ethno-biologist.

I figured they attacked the mothers (with their young) cuz the youngins might grow up to be formidable enemies, and the mother is the enemy-factory.

But yeah, biology and monkey border protection are not my strong suits

If you read the page I suggested you'll see that it talks distinctly and clearly about male on female physical (sexual)]/b] violence. If you keep reading, it discusses the results of sexual violence on the attitudes of female chimpanzees decision making regarding habitat locales.

No, it doesn't.

Archived