IGNORED

Yamaha FB-01

Guest The Bro

I should have picked up the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. I think it was like $70 or something, yikes.

$70 seems a little steep for an FB-01, aren't they still usually in the $50 range?

Although the other day a friend o mine mentioned that the typical price of a TX-81z almost doubled this year so maybe not.

Thant MIDImutant thing and similar stuff might push up the price on all of these things soon, because they get around the pervasive myth that FM synths are really hard to program (they aren't, although the Yamaha racks really could have used data sliders or wheels like the keyboards have - Yamaha FM keyboards are a breeze but the racks can be a little tedious because of all the button pressing).

Are these any good? I got a bit hyped by the demo I saw on Youtube lol.

They are fucking amazing.

With the editor you got 8 part multitimbral FM synth with assignable polyphony.Like 3 voices on synth 1,2 on synth 2,1 on synth 3,2 on synth 4 etc. up to 8 voices.

It's seriously powerful for what its selling for.

Hidden gem really.

I mean 8 VOICES MULTITIMBRAL FM!!!!!!!

Note for those who have one or will get one:the available free editor  (this https://sourceforge.net/projects/fb01editor/ ) seems to need 2 different MIDI interface on Windows to work properly,one going in MIDI IN and one in MIDI OUT.

I had trouble connecting properly and saw a post in a Yamaha forum saying that it fixes the problem and it worked for me.

I use my soundcard to plug in IN+a cheap M-Audio USB MIDI cable face interface thing the plug in the OUT and its working perfectly,i can edit in real time all 8 voices in multitimbral.

I should have picked up the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. I think it was like $70 or something, yikes.

$70 seems a little steep for an FB-01, aren't they still usually in the $50 range?

Although the other day a friend o mine mentioned that the typical price of a TX-81z almost doubled this year so maybe not.

Thant MIDImutant thing and similar stuff might push up the price on all of these things soon, because they get around the pervasive myth that FM synths are really hard to program (they aren't, although the Yamaha racks really could have used data sliders or wheels like the keyboards have - Yamaha FM keyboards are a breeze but the racks can be a little tedious because of all the button pressing).

Canadian dollar for me might be why.But ive seen 2 locally and they were both 70 or 75.

On ebay it's higher and going up!! Like quite a few FM!

And yeah better be jumping on these FM deals as people are starting to realize that FM is awesome.

Get them while they're cheap!

I'm talking AU prices, and also including the dreaded "Australia tax" which magically applies to any music gear manufactured overseas. so probably the equivalent of about $20-30 US lol :/

I'm talking AU prices, and also including the dreaded "Australia tax" which magically applies to any music gear manufactured overseas. so probably the equivalent of about $20-30 US lol :/
That is some serious bullshit. You'd think some badass Aussies would step up and start making their own gear for that market, Bastl style.

Are these any good? I got a bit hyped by the demo I saw on Youtube lol.

They are fucking amazing.

With the editor you got 8 part multitimbral FM synth with assignable polyphony.Like 3 voices on synth 1,2 on synth 2,1 on synth 3,2 on synth 4 etc. up to 8 voices.

It's seriously powerful for what its selling for.

Hidden gem really.

I mean 8 VOICES MULTITIMBRAL FM!!!!!!!

Note for those who have one or will get one:the available free editor  (this https://sourceforge.net/projects/fb01editor/ ) seems to need 2 different MIDI interface on Windows to work properly,one going in MIDI IN and one in MIDI OUT.

I had trouble connecting properly and saw a post in a Yamaha forum saying that it fixes the problem and it worked for me.

I use my soundcard to plug in IN+a cheap M-Audio USB MIDI cable face interface thing the plug in the OUT and its working perfectly,i can edit in real time all 8 voices in multitimbral.

here is a short braindance demo i did with it and MTL assembly delay https://soundcloud.com/fxbip/fb-01-brainy-to-five

Canadian dollar for me might be why.But ive seen 2 locally and they were both 70 or 75.

On ebay it's higher and going up!! Like quite a few FM!

And yeah better be jumping on these FM deals as people are starting to realize that FM is awesome.

Get them while they're cheap!

Yikes! I paid $45 for an FB-01 in early 2016.

That is some serious bullshit. You'd think some badass Aussies would step up and start making their own gear for that market, Bastl style.

Ah, that makes sense.

yeah there are a few Australian companies making gear, but it's mostly modular stuff. One day my knowledge will be enough to make a synth of some sort; I have a vision of someday being one of those "badass Aussies" haha

OH, if you get one of these (or any older Yamaha) this works really well for retrofitting it with a battery clip for the save memory battery:

http://musictechnologiesgroup.com/blog/?p=257

It's hard to find clips that fit the pin spacing of the batteries Yamaha used, and this thing is cheap and pretty easy to set up.  I ordered one for $5 from the OSH Park link last year and they sent me 3, not sure if that was some first time customer deal or what, but even for just one it's worth the $5 because it's so much sturdier and more convenient than trying to use jumper wires or mount the battery clip of board like I used to do.

yeah there are a few Australian companies making gear, but it's mostly modular stuff. One day my knowledge will be enough to make a synth of some sort; I have a vision of someday being one of those "badass Aussies" haha

Some really good pinch rollers coming out of Australia though.

Archived