IGNORED

Grooveboxes/sequencers/drum machines - Yamaha RM1x

TRiP

recently had the urge to get a nice groove box/sequencer/drum machine type machine(whatever you call them) ...any suggestions as to an affordable model that'll provide me with quality and boats of potential fun?

I saw this Yamaha RM1x on a local ebay'type website - could probably get it for 200'ish. Could i do better? Dont really want to spend more than that really (more so because i'm broke)

there are also a few Roland 303 and 307's listed around the 100+ - 200 mark - but not sure if they'd be better or worse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgb6OgbG8rI

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem a bit cheese but if you're into that or have a good sense of humor about things, go for it.

If I was in your position I'd get a Machinedrum UW but that might be a matter of taste. If I was trying to save a little cash I'd still get a Machinedrum, just a mark 1, maybe without the sampler. Otherwise there's the Monomachine, the MPC, and that Electribe ESX looks alright too. Those boxes make you do a little more work than the 90s grooveboxes, but then you have a better chance of making something unique and tasteful with them.

But they are a little pricier. And again, it probably just comes down to taste.

you could get a pair of original series korg electribes (er-1, ea-1) for about that much.

i wouldn't bother getting something that just lets you mix presets and preset patterns... unless you're an aspiring superstar Dick Jockey and that way inclined. :)

the korg es-1 is a great bit of kit but i don't think he's after a sampler..? but that might actually be the best of both worlds.

'groovebox' / drum-machine-type build/set up + the ability to sample and load your own sounds and then sequence them,

for roughly £100-150!

many thanks for all the replies, gentlemen!

the Machinedrum + the Monomachine seem more geared towards the possible types of music i'd like to mess with...however they seem expensiveeee! Lowest price i saw was a pre-owned one on ebay for 780'ish - is that as low as i'd expect the price to ever go?

the other older models mentioned - Korg Es-1, Roland MC 505 etc.seem like they'd just be fun to play, rather than allowing me an instrument i feel i could make some nice music on - possibly too 'particular' sounding, that is to say, they produce certain types of music based off their own presets.

If I was in your position I'd get a Machinedrum UW but that might be a matter of taste. If I was trying to save a little cash I'd still get a Machinedrum, just a mark 1, maybe without the sampler.

How much of a difference in price would you think the Mark 1 would be to future models? Worth trying to save up for? Or is mark1 sufficient itself in available editable sounds? I guess having a sampler in it would be pretty nifty and allow for more unique music making.

so what is the real difference between the Monomachine and the Machinedrum? One is more geared towards drums, the other synth'e sounds?

this video has me salivating:

the other older models mentioned - Korg Es-1, Roland MC 505 etc.seem like they'd just be fun to play, rather than allowing me an instrument i feel i could make some nice music on - possibly too 'particular' sounding, that is to say, they produce certain types of music based off their own presets.

yes, the 505 is like that, and the RM1x, too.

but the Korg ES-1 is a sampler so you could put whatever sounds you wanted into that machine.

record kitchen utensils for example, or just load sounds into it from your computer to a memory card.

also, the ER-1 is a drum synthesizer, so you can tweak out your own sounds on that, too.

and their both dirt cheap these days.

but the Korg ES-1 is a sampler so you could put whatever sounds you wanted into that machine.

record kitchen utensils for example, or just load sounds into it from your computer to a memory card.

also, the ER-1 is a drum synthesizer, so you can tweak out your own sounds on that, too.

indeed - however, I should have previously mentioned that I've had a few plays in the past with the ES-1 (a lend from a friend) and I wasn't overly satisfied with it - maybe I just didnt give it enough of a chance, but again its presets sounded a tad' dated and particular(with some exceptions, although i'm sure a pro could make it sound amazing) and the sampling thing isn't really all that important to me, just a nice add on to explore in the future

would be more looking for a unit that has great presets which can be nicely editied and manipulated all within itself...seems like the Machinedrum is looking like the best candidate...just fairly out of reach in terms of price

indeed - however, I should have previously mentioned that I've had a few plays in the past with the ES-1 (a lend from a friend) and I wasn't overly satisfied with it - maybe I just didnt give it enough of a chance, but again its presets sounded a tad' dated and particular(with some exceptions, although i'm sure a pro could make it sound amazing) and the sampling thing isn't really all that important to me, just a nice add on to explore in the future

would be more looking for a unit that has great presets which can be nicely editied and manipulated all within itself...seems like the Machinedrum is looking like the best candidate...just fairly out of reach in terms of price

the factory presets loaded in the es-1 are indeed a bit shit and dated. but, obviously, they are just example loops and the box is meant for sampling and looping your own stuff! it is not a groovebox.

I guess you could call it a 'drum sampler & sequencer', and it's within your budget. but never mind.

the factory presets loaded in the es-1 are indeed a bit shit and dated. but, obviously, they are just example loops and the box is meant for sampling and looping your own stuff! it is not a groovebox.

I guess you could call it a 'drum sampler & sequencer', and it's within your budget. but never mind.

naw - i appreciate that, i guess its just more a case of not wanting to waste money on something I may sell on again in order to get a better model - why not just sit patiently and try get that better model first time...and i'll more than likely be sitting for quite some time

I haven't priced used MDs. I would personally really want the sampler.

The ES-1 is so cheap and has been around for so long that I wouldn't worry about losing money on it. Think of it as a snack to hold you over til you can buy something good :) Personally the only things I'd think about in the groovebox department that are cheaper than that would be the ER-1 or EA-1. I've had both, and while they don't sound all that great, they are both a lot of fun.

Also imo presets are moot on any machine that gives you decent editing facilities, which is true of basically all machines mentioned so far. If you want "presets" on a sampler, grab a sample pack, a stack of records, some YouTube videos, etc. ;)

sweepstakes - you're right on all fronts...if i was serious about making a-go at this, I should just get an ole' es-1 and take things from there...but, i'm a silly man who just wants the newest and best...so i'll try keep the machinedrum in my sights for now, see if i can squander enough cheese over the next foreseeable future

also - agreed ANY machines presets are moot on machines which provide ample editing abilities - and sure, the machinedrum will be offering virtually the same abilities as the es-1 but wont it be faster, better, stronger and MORE!??!!

Oh for sure. But I consider most forms of sampling itself to be quite an ample editing ability ;) The ES-1 covers this, especially with its pitch controls and effects on top of that.

Even the crusty old Casio RZ-1 with its maximum 1.4 seconds spread across 4 samples will get you most of the way to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_pHII_85Q

you could probably get an es-1 with a memory card and have enough money left over to buy a half decent mic! :)

i'd get that, or the er-1.

up to you, tho, of course.

Yeah the ER-1 is good fun. Especially with that audio input. I think the input on the EA-1 was more fun cos you can run it into the filter and I think the ringmod too, but it's pretty tough to get good decent drums out of that thing.

Yeah the ER-1 is good fun. Especially with that audio input. I think the input on the EA-1 was more fun cos you can run it into the filter and I think the ringmod too, but it's pretty tough to get good decent drums out of that thing.

that depends on your taste i spose.

it has 909 sounding hats, kind of.

a kick that is somewhat 808-ey, but not, but bouncier. and a lot else inbetween.

not great for snares but you can get a lot of good bleeps and bloops out of it.

it does have a certain sound to it though.

but it's full of patterns already loaded, innit, some of which aren't too bad, imho, so trip would have no problem there just looping and tweaking stuff, if it's just for fun.

anyhoo, i think the man wants thee box of IDMz.. :)

you'll probably need double your current budget of £200, tho... even now.

The ES-1 is awesome. I've used it live a few times and have made some really great beats with it. But it's a drum sampler and therefore not really useable for melodic sequencing. If only each step in the sequence could have a note value.. That would be amazing!

Archived