IGNORED

Grooveboxes/sequencers/drum machines - Yamaha RM1x

TRiP

I have a microsampler and I can vouch for its awesomeness (though I only really use it for multi-sampling things like glockenspiels and little Casio flutes)

Nice! It seems like it'd be good fun traveling, for hotel rooms or relatives' houses. Like a super SK1. I have a soft spot for battery operated hardware like that, because I'm an awkward dweeb.

Yeah yeah!

I bought it cause it's like a modern pimped-out Sk-1.

(p.s. I also use the microsampler to multi-sample from my SK-5...kinda like a backup system...i have OCD/attachment issues so I have a hard time writing over patches once i use them for a couple days and fall in love with them)

(p.p.s. sorry if this thread is turning into a LimpyLoo gear brag thread)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so it's looking like I MIGHT be able to swap my shitty guitar to a silly person for a MC-505...but time shall tell

If I succeed in this devilish trade, i'll can have a good play with it...but then possibly sell it on and perhaps fund an Arturia Spark?

THEN if i ever hit the jackpot - i could sell the Spark on and fund a machinedrum.

Dat' be one big pipeline....

Would people recommend or disregard the Spark?

(p.s. I also use the microsampler to multi-sample from my SK-5...kinda like a backup system...i have OCD/attachment issues so I have a hard time writing over patches once i use them for a couple days and fall in love with them)

lol, yes. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this kinds of issues.

(p.p.s. sorry if this thread is turning into a LimpyLoo gear brag thread)

I'm always down to talk about gear, don't care whose it is :D

I dunno about the Spark. Actually haven't heard of it until this thread :X Looks kinda neat.

URGENTTTT!

That lad got back to me - i offered him my Squire Fender Stratt + 15watt amp as a swap for his Roland MC-505.

now hes agreeing - but wants an extra 30 yo yos (€30)

is this a good deal or am i getting slapped in the face?

check out the mean/average of 'sold' prices for the Squire, and then the amp

then compare that to the mean/average of 'sold' prices for the MC-505

you might be better off doing eBay, with buyer protection and all that

cheers LimpyLoo

based on those figures, i'd say ill be doing well enough on the deal - probably be able to re-sell it for 200'ish, which is probably more than i'd get with my gear + the €30 anyway

happy days

Yep. Totally agree.

The only "straight drum machine" I really enjoyed (well besides the 606 of course) was the Yamaha RY30. Amazing machine, albeit a little thin on its own. Autechre's "We Are R Why" was made primarily on one.

haven't tried the RY-30 before. wanna try one. and the 606 is of course lovely. but not as lovely as the 808. :)

I quite like the 626 aswell, and the Alesis HR-16, and the Boss DR-110... when it comes to straight drum machines.

Mmmm, drum machiiiiiiiines.

The RY30 has 2 samples per voice, each with assignable LPF/HPF, pitch and filter envelopes, and of course tuning. And there's velocity sensitivity for all these. Each note in the sequencer has its own pitch, cutoff, panning, and I think decay, all of which transmit CCs. Plus it's got this little spring loaded wheel you can jam on any of these params with. You can use basic synthesis waveforms too, so you can create synth basslines and melodies.

And you can control a pitched sound (or a drum kit) on its own MIDI channel. You can also change patterns via MIDI.

It's not the best sounding drum machine but it's super flexible. You can get pretty weird with it, definitely more so than other cheap digital drum machines until the ER-1 came out. Super fun with a little mixer and a couple stompboxes. This guy Solenoid in Portland used to do his live set this way.

Shit, they used to be pretty cheap, but I just checked eBay prices and it's anywhere from $200 to $500..?! I guess that's not that bad in GBP? Still, may as well get a used MPC or even Machinedrum at that price.

EDIT: Nevermind, my bad, you're in Australia so the savings are pretty tiny. Totes not worth it.

good sounds and some nice features but wonky as hell to program.. i don't even remember bc i think my mind has blocked it. Emu XL7 is a better choice.

Guest SampleScience

Never heard of the RY30, it looks good and the feature list makes this instrument tempting for a old gear collector like me!! :D

Guest MrSparkle666

Just a heads up. I'm in the early stages of developing a hardware midi sequencer at the moment. I think it's silly that people have to buy ancient gear or shell out $1000+ to just get a good midi step sequencer that's fun to use and taylored for live performance. This is something I've been wanting to try to tackle for a long while now, and It's finally happening. I'll keep everyone posted. If the final prototype meets my quality standards, I'll put it up on kickstarter and see where it goes. There should be an early prototype to demonstrate by June or July. I'll keep everyone posted. Cheers.

Just a heads up. I'm in the early stages of developing a hardware midi sequencer at the moment. I think it's silly that people have to buy ancient gear or shell out $1000+ to just get a good midi step sequencer that's fun to use and taylored for live performance. This is something I've been wanting to try to tackle for a long while now, and It's finally happening. I'll keep everyone posted. If the final prototype meets my quality standards, I'll put it up on kickstarter and see where it goes. There should be an early prototype to demonstrate by June or July. I'll keep everyone posted. Cheers.

awesome

This is a great idea and I'd definitely put in some money on kickstarter! I've been looking for a simple, portable melodic sequencer for years.

YES.

• 2 years later...

im new and may arrive in this conversation "like a hair on the soup" but i'm currently looking for a cheap good hardware sequencer and it's not a piece of cake, so i'd like to know if there's any news about MrSparkle666's project

Archived