IGNORED

game that seems very inspired by old BoC wesbite

oscillik

just saw this game Proteus on Steam, which seems to have a very similar 'point' as the old BoC site...

About the Game

Proteus is a game about exploration and immersion in a dream-like island world where the soundtrack to your play is created by your surroundings. Presented and controlled like a classic first-person shooter, the primary means of interaction is simply your presence in the world. The procedurally generated islands are home to creatures natural and imagined, tranquil valleys and ruins with magical properties. Think Doom meets Brian Eno.

Key Features:
  • Meditative play: the responsive world and lack of any text or hints distils an essence of curious, investigative play, and rewards patience and immersion.

• Dynamic soundtrack composed by award-winning musician David Kanaga follows the mood of the world and will appeal to fans of Boards of Canada, Brian Eno.

• A distinctive 2D-but-3D graphical style with wild shifting palettes that sits somewhere between 8-bit videogames and early 20th century modernist painting.

• Islands are uniquely generated every time, and although it's theoretically possible to see everything in one playthrough, no-one ever does.

• Built-in "postcard" function encodes world data into each screenshot, allowing islands and discoveries to be saved and shared.

the original site is still accessible but requires Shockwave Player, of course

Just played it yesterday for the first time. And the old BoC site was the first thing that came to mind when I first discovered it.

Quite a unique game. Incorporates all four seasons into its atmospherics as well.

Oddly I've been playing it for months and it wasn't till the 'final' build released this week that I made the BoC islands connection. It's a bit less melancholy feeling (mainly as a result of the soundtrack) than the BoC one and has a bit more of an exploration aspect than floating around like some hand-gliding maniac, but yeah very similar vibes from playing it.

Dude! My friend sent me that and I was like "omgz check out dis BoC flash site" and thus my first acknowledgement of Boards of Canada to someone outside of watmm was made in 2013. We both had to wait for our work PCs to install software before it loaded up.

He agreed it was similar btw.

Is there any replay value, or just a lot of walking around?

Yes and (but?) yes !

It's more an explore/chill/walk em up than anything else. I'd say the replay value would be like the replay value of an album - you'd not be constantly playing it but now and again you bung it on, take it all in and relax.

• 2 months later...

Possible jazz, but I've just been broswing through James Tindall's (who made the Atomless site) Flickr sets, he's got a set for the images used in the BoC game if anyone's interested: Boards of Canada 2002

• 3 weeks later...

Archived