IGNORED

Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety

jhonny

Been hyped up but it's a really good album. BNM on Pitchfork (but whada they know!?) and the lead single Play by Play is an absolute monster.

Synthy R'n'B Princey goodnesss

I've been really trying to like a lot of the new, how should I say, "straight-up" R&B music that is being hyped all over but I've officially given up. Perhaps it'll be a fad for 2012-2014, much like electroclash and disco-tinged dance punk was in the mid-00s. I'm sure if I'd try to be all over this as a superficial college student if this came out in 2005.

To be clear I'm not trying to sound cynical or critical - in fact it sounds well-made for those who like this sound it's probably amazing. And I like R&B stuff when it seeps into electronic music (Jame Blake, Holy Other, anything on Tri Angle, etc) But Autre Ne Veut and peers like How To Dress Well and Inc. just don't do it for me. To each their own.

Do dig that video though.

is this anything like the weeknd? because i really couldn't get into that at all, despite the hype. i can't differentiate between that sort of thing and various forgettable acts from the mid to late nineties that definitely don't hold water with the cool kids.

edit: listening to the link. i can't tell if this is a joke or not. is this good? i honestly can't tell if music is good anymore.

This 80's rehash is lasting longer than the actual 80's. I think the novelty even wore off longer ago than the actual 80's lasted. It's like people are beating the ground because there used to be a dead horse there.

so is this going to end and is a real 90s rehash going to start? we had the 70s in the early 2000s with all the new york back to basics rock bands, then this 80s thing has been going on for at least a decade. i guess there's a couple 90s throwback guitar bands. is original content just over?

Oh, it's definitely not over. If you pay attention to mainstream outlets and think that's a source for mainstream content, then you're making a big mistake. You have to dig deeper these days.

I think it's exactly the same as it was in the 90s. Everything mainstream seemed like shit. Except then it was really obvious which papers were genuinely indie/artistic and which were maistream/shit. Nowadays the things that are supposedly "indie/artistic" are actually just mainstream/shit. And not many people know this. In fact, very, very few people seem to notice this. It's a widespread infestation. Nowadays, 90% of people are "hipsters." It can only be our fault for making the mistake of thinking that those people are "indie/artistic." It's because we lack the ingenuity to actually look elsewhere and do what people used to do: start a movement and be underground. Underground these days ain't gonna be showing up on Pitchfork. In fact, I think we're underground. We are the underground. I am the fucking underground. Sinicalpyse, he's the underground. Half-assed half-listened bandcamps are the new Pavement EP. What's great isn't going to be showing up on Pitchfork for a long, long time. Or that's just a nice way of putting it.

I don't really give a fuck what anyone says. We are the underground. What scares me is that, like everything, the underground always "goes mainstream." So the pattern here would be that internet forums, underground bandcamps, very small known "amateur" work somehow gets coopted. I wonder how that will happen. It's going to be fucked up when it does.

But seriously, I reiterate: there is no reason to listen to ANV over MY FUCKING SOUNDCLOUD, and probably 90% of soundclouds here. But we will anyway, because we're weak minded. This is the change that has to take place.

Guest bitroast

this all doesn't seem very watmm. i don't think i like the music. actually, the music pretty good, but the singing over it. it just sounds like noise to me.

Oh, it's definitely not over. If you pay attention to mainstream outlets and think that's a source for mainstream content, then you're making a big mistake. You have to dig deeper these days.

I think it's exactly the same as it was in the 90s. Everything mainstream seemed like shit. Except then it was really obvious which papers were genuinely indie/artistic and which were maistream/shit. Nowadays the things that are supposedly "indie/artistic" are actually just mainstream/shit. And not many people know this. In fact, very, very few people seem to notice this. It's a widespread infestation. Nowadays, 90% of people are "hipsters." It can only be our fault for making the mistake of thinking that those people are "indie/artistic." It's because we lack the ingenuity to actually look elsewhere and do what people used to do: start a movement and be underground. Underground these days ain't gonna be showing up on Pitchfork. In fact, I think we're underground. We are the underground. I am the fucking underground. Sinicalpyse, he's the underground. Half-assed half-listened bandcamps are the new Pavement EP. What's great isn't going to be showing up on Pitchfork for a long, long time. Or that's just a nice way of putting it.

I don't really give a fuck what anyone says. We are the underground. What scares me is that, like everything, the underground always "goes mainstream." So the pattern here would be that internet forums, underground bandcamps, very small known "amateur" work somehow gets coopted. I wonder how that will happen. It's going to be fucked up when it does.

But seriously, I reiterate: there is no reason to listen to ANV over MY FUCKING SOUNDCLOUD, and probably 90% of soundclouds here. But we will anyway, because we're weak minded. This is the change that has to take place.

i'm talking about trends within pop music, not pitchfork media. although, if you're looking for pop music, mainstream music, then mainstream outlets are going to be the only relevant ones. obviously there are thousands of acts that are "original" in some way. i just don't know how any of this shit is considered "good" because it seems, and probably is, totally arbitrary. it all sounds like shit to me.

Man those vocals are shitty. Dude has to be taking the piss. There seems to be a trend in the experimental scene with all these artists that, I guess, feel compelled to sing, but can't. Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses.

so is this going to end and is a real 90s rehash going to start? we had the 70s in the early 2000s with all the new york back to basics rock bands, then this 80s thing has been going on for at least a decade. i guess there's a couple 90s throwback guitar bands. is original content just over?

Well the 90's was an age of sincerity if I am not mistaken. Not being afraid to be yourself. If you feel like you share a certain perspective with people and it manifests itself through a certain aesthetic, musical ideas and lyrics, don't be afraid to wear it proudly. But most people just want to look like they're joking, or make music that sounds like it while playing to an audience that will never boo or make fun of them.

It's not though I think true "throwback" fad stuff will come and go - keep in mind a lot of novel though sometimes polarizing stuff is retro-oriented: there's the overt commentary/satirical nature of stuff like vaporwave, there's all the hauntology stuff whether it's Ariel Pink or Ghostbox, there's clever use of past sounds and aesthetics with modern production in underground dance music.

Let me put it this way - there will be a tongue-and-cheek hipster-lead revival of shit like Limp Bizkit and late 90s alt rock with bands that make songs that sound like "Closing Time" by Semisonic and everyone will dress like the Friends cast or extras from American Pie and VW Beetles and iMac G3s will skyrocket in price on ebay. It will last a month or so but already spawn spoofs, criticism, mainstream lame references, and meta-discussion in mere weeks then be absolutely forgotten within say, 3-4 months.

The real question is...what the fuck is next? I'm guessing generative content? Maybe certain stytes of music will truly stay together and fan loyalty will win out (after all there are punk bands that still go strong with new albums and tours for over 20-30 years now without ever, ever, sounding different - the same could go with electronic genres and experimental music)

This 80's rehash is lasting longer than the actual 80's. I think the novelty even wore off longer ago than the actual 80's lasted. It's like people are beating the ground because there used to be a dead horse there.

I think there was an aspect of people finally embracing synth pop and late 70s disco that added to that. Not mention stuff like "chillwave" and electroclash and chiptune are all based on 80s sounds but not directly emulating them and instead mix it with other styles. Kids who didn't grow in the 80s love it more than anyone.

Also the 70s were very much a continuation of the late 60s - hippie culture itself was commercialized and fad-oriented - you can find more "flower power" retro stuff made in the 70s than say 67-69. Same went with the music. And the 90s-early 00s revival of 60s and 70s rock was of punk and heavy rock - I've noticed stuff that sounds like FM radio and easy listening is now acceptable (Beach House, Foxygen, etc) whereas in the late 90s it was all garage rock or "raw" sounding only. 60s was played out in trip-hop samples too and in Britpop. The other wrench is the 90s was the first decade of postmodern music with sampling being such a fundamental part of so many genres. With the internet and social media there's no clear pattern or rate in trends of revival.

is this anything like the weeknd? because i really couldn't get into that at all, despite the hype. i can't differentiate between that sort of thing and various forgettable acts from the mid to late nineties that definitely don't hold water with the cool kids.

edit: listening to the link. i can't tell if this is a joke or not. is this good? i honestly can't tell if music is good anymore.

weeknd wasn't my favorite either BUT he did some different sounding stuff and wasn't trying to stick straight with 90s R&B sounds - for example "House of Balloons" has a fucking hoover synth in the hook and it samples Souxie and the Banshees. That's at least different. I liked that, just didn't fall in love with all over his output. But then again I'm not a R&B fan. If people really like this - good for them - I don't think it's shit or anything. But the sad thing is that 5-10 years ago people would not admit to liking this and it would not even be reviewed on pitchfork or other sites. It would be at best a "guilty pleasure" - that's the part I find annoying, not the actual music.

Well, I am def in the minority here, but I enjoy this ok. It's certainly not doing anything new, but I don't think the guys is "taking the piss" either. His voice took me a while to get used to, I saw him live and it was a really raw, energized performance. My girlfriend at the time thought he was the worst singer ever, but I admired the balls to just get up there and sing like a weirdo. Not going to champion this album, as I'll probably forget about it in a few weeks, but it's a decent listen for me right now.

Well, I am def in the minority here, but I enjoy this ok. It's certainly not doing anything new, but I don't think the guys is "taking the piss" either. His voice took me a while to get used to, I saw him live and it was a really raw, energized performance. My girlfriend at the time thought he was the worst singer ever, but I admired the balls to just get up there and sing like a weirdo. Not going to champion this album, as I'll probably forget about it in a few weeks, but it's a decent listen for me right now.

I'm with you buddy. Enjoying this

weeknd wasn't my favorite either BUT he did some different sounding stuff and wasn't trying to stick straight with 90s R&B sounds - for example "House of Balloons" has a fucking hoover synth in the hook and it samples Souxie and the Banshees. That's at least different. I liked that, just didn't fall in love with all over his output. But then again I'm not a R&B fan. If people really like this - good for them - I don't think it's shit or anything. But the sad thing is that 5-10 years ago people would not admit to liking this and it would not even be reviewed on pitchfork or other sites. It would be at best a "guilty pleasure" - that's the part I find annoying, not the actual music.

yeah honestly the last part of what you're saying is where i'm at. this simply wouldn't have been accepted as "good" or "cool" five to ten years ago and now it suddenly is. that's what bothers me. if people genuinely like it, fine by me. but i grew up in the 90s and i remember this kind of music being a guilty pleasure.

i think the emo genre is due for a plundering, i'm guessing we're going to see a screamo/post hardcore revival pretty soon.

Archived