IGNORED

ISP Copyright Alert System

Rubin Farr

no threads on this? Sounds like RIAA and MPAA have coerced ISPs in America to go along with this, for now. Sounds like they're panicking to me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/copyright-alert-system-goes-into-effect/2013/02/26/bf2e22c0-8020-11e2-b99e-6baf4ebe42df_story.html

Fucks sake.

And before opening this thread, I was just reading about the International Intellectual Property Alliance's call to stop the spread of open-source software in what they have deemed 10 "high priority watch list" countries, such as Indonesia, for trying to promote the use of freely available tools.

Thanks for the link, Rubin.

Lifehacker further points out that the CAS “only monitors peer-to-peer traffic from public BitTorrent trackers.” You can still get off scot-free using private BitTorrent trackers, email attachments, file lockers, or the like. Devoted freeloaders will have no problems here; if you’re a novice, the post’s author even gives you other ideas of how to get around the system.

Well, that's certainly not going to stop anyone... (from http://www.technologyreview.com/view/511841/the-six-strikes-copyright-alert-system-is-toothless/)

Sure seems like a lot of extra work for ISPs with barely any ability to curb piracy...

What confuses me about this is that it's not a piece of legislation but an initiative of some rights holders and ISP's? Why would an ISP cooperate with something that will just drive customers away to a provider that doesn't participate to this program. Do they just have enough faith in the broken state of the American telecommunication market? How many million dollars of creative income will be wasted on this piece of FUD?

Guest Frankie5fingers

so uh, nothings changed then huh. lol

i wish this whole crusade against piracy would just fucking end. how blind do these people have to be to see that it still hasnt worked and most likely never will.

What confuses me about this is that it's not a piece of legislation but an initiative of some rights holders and ISP's? Why would an ISP cooperate with something that will just drive customers away to a provider that doesn't participate to this program.

some people in certain areas don't have other choices apart from those big ISP's currently cooperating with this. also, this is more about deterring the amount of people pirating rather than stopping it as a whole. currently, anyone with an internet connection can download copyright protected media. this is about changing that attitude

Guest fiznuthian

Fucks sake.

And before opening this thread, I was just reading about the International Intellectual Property Alliance's call to stop the spread of open-source software in what they have deemed 10 "high priority watch list" countries, such as Indonesia, for trying to promote the use of freely available tools.

WHAT

THE FUCK

This can not be real?

Fucks sake.

WHAT

THE FUCK

This can not be real?

It is, unfortunately, as real as shit gets. They send their reports to the United States Trade Commission every year. I have a feeling the commission buys it hook line and sinker.

I want this to turn into some sort of apocalyptic story where there's an evil totalitarian government and all open source programming is banned and all people violating this are killed, and there's an illegal underground open source programming movement and they have to use their crazy hacking skills to usurp the government through open source means.

I want this to turn into some sort of apocalyptic story where there's an evil totalitarian government and all open source programming is banned and all people violating this are killed, and there's an illegal underground open source programming movement and they have to use their crazy hacking skills to usurp the government through open source means.

kuato-77.jpg

"Open your source."

Guest RadarJammer

in america it looks like only these providers are participating (as far as i know)

AT&T

Verizon

Cablevision

Time Warner Cable

Comcast

Guest RadarJammer

they were referred to as the big 5. I switched to Frontier, the lady who runs it said in an interview that they are "content agnostic" which I think translates into "we don't really care what you do with it"

Archived