IGNORED

being poor in america

delet...

The rest comes from our GMO-tainted food and our fluoride-tainted water and our milk and 25-grams-of-sugar beverages and alcohol and cigarettes etc.

watmm seems like a fucking magnet for you RT-enlightened people, jesus..

There is broad scientific consensus that food on the market derived from GM crops pose no greater risk than conventional food.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10] No reports of ill effects have been documented in the human population from GM food.[7][74][75] Supporters of food derived from GMOs hold that food is as safe as other foods and that labels send a message to consumers that GM food is somehow dangerous. They trust that regulators and the regulatory process are sufficiently objective and rigorous, and that risks of contamination of the non-GM food supply and of the environment can be managed. They trust that there is sufficient law and regulation to maintain competition in the market for seeds, believe that GM technology is key to feeding a growing world population, and view GM technology as a continuation of the manipulation of plants that humans have conducted for millennia.

At the dosage recommended for water fluoridation, the only known adverse effect is dental fluorosis, which can alter the appearance of children's teeth during tooth development. Dental fluorosis is considered cosmetic and unlikely to represent any other effect on public health.[7] Despite opponents' concerns, water fluoridation has been effective at reducing cavities in both children and adults.[8]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it easy, fucking Eugene.

Firstly, I don't watch/read fucking RT (whatever the fuck that is).

Secondly, I was saying--categorically--it is the modern things that are fucking killing us. I don't know what is causing all this fucking disease. The fucking jury is out on most things (pesticides, fucking GMOs etc). But the fact is environment is responsible for 90-95% of all fucking disease and it appears not be caused by fucking fruits and vegetables.

Jesus, fucking chill out.

I've been hearing more and more about fluoridation in water eating away our bones and shit, I swear conspiracy theorists are becoming a demographic for markets so to completely discredit them as "tin foil hatters" making anything legitimate that falls under this massive array of delusions, washed away and forgotten.

If you are gonna make these big claims about conspiracy you have to provide some sources and evidence to back that shit up or you are just flushing your reputation down the toilet.

People are living longer than ever LimpyLoo. Maybe more people are getting diseases because there are more old people living long enough to eventually get them.

You can't make money off healthy people, you need obese people, thats why they'll never push for a soda or fast food ban, i guarantee you if soda and fast food were banned the overall health of the country would be much better.

People are living longer than ever LimpyLoo. Maybe more people are getting diseases because there are more old people living long enough to eventually get them.

in America, 35% of adults are obese and 17% of children are obese

Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death on the planet if I'm not mistaken

Cancer rates are as alarming as ever

etc

i think we could all at least agree that the variety of dining establishments in the majority of the United States are rather limited to fast food/italian/chinese take out greasefests...

I distinctly remember the "fast food" in many Korean restaurants still being a hell of a lot healthier than the tripe you get out here in public? Wanna actually eat some healthy restaurant food? Be prepared to pay 2-4x more for it. This is just from personal observation, take it or leave it as you will.

in America, 35% of adults are obese and 17% of children are obese

Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death on the planet if I'm not mistaken

Cancer rates are as alarming as ever

etc

Maybe you should look a bit closer at the definition of Obesity

At least a substantial part of the obesity epidemic can be accounted for by a change in the definition of "obesity." When the CDC changed the definition in 1997, 30 million Americans who had been of normal weight now found themselves to be obese, all without gaining a pound.

A 2007 report in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed that one's level of physical fitness correlated with long-term survival better than one's level of obesity. That is, overweight people who were fit had a lower risk of death than non-overweight people who were sedentary. Read more here about being "fat and fit."

A 2006 report in The Lancet suggested that individuals who were overweight but not obese (BMI of 25 to 29.9), actually had a slightly lower risk of dying than patients who were of "normal" weight (BMI 20 to 24.9).

more Obesity and Cardio/Heart Disease facts here: http://heartdisease.about.com/od/dietandobesity/a/obesity_bad.htm

So what about Fluoridation of water? Any facts to back up those claims? Cancer rates are DROPPING

http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/08/cancer-rates-dropping-but-not-for-all-tumor-types/

LimpyLoo watch this, excellent documentary about how the Government, media, and scientists manipulate information so that Americans think 35% of their fellow Americans are giant walking whales. Hell the info graphic I posted on the last page already goes over how the Obesity problem is America is exaggerated :

(my only point is that iMHO diet is more important than most people make it out to be...but maybe I'm just overly sensitive to this stuff because lots of people around me seem to be having diet-related health issues lately)

Not saying healthy eating isn't important, just that there isn't some grand scale conspiracy forcing people to be unhealthy imo.

How about corporations such as McDonalds paying off elected officials to protect their cheap production. Maybe its not about making people to be unhealthy but more about pushing cheap unhealthy food to make a huge profit.

Not saying healthy eating isn't important, just that there isn't some grand scale conspiracy forcing people to be unhealthy imo.

How about corporations such as McDonalds paying off elected officials to protect their cheap production. Maybe its not about making people to be unhealthy but more about pushing cheap unhealthy food to make a huge profit.

Don't eat at McDonalds, its not cost saving. However you could still eat responsibly at Mcdonalds.

Guest fiznuthian

Okay can we address something here? I want to make the point that healthy food is not necessary more expensive than junk.
Let me start by suggesting that most fast food and processed foods simply fail to satiate effectively (see 1 and 2). They also provide less nutrition per dollar, I don't think anyone can argue this either. At worst, their composition more likely than not is detrimental to health and not helping the matter.

So your average fast food meal ranges anywhere from $3-7 dollars, often more. These meals barely wet a person's appetite for long and are significantly devoid of nutrition at best, and detrimental to our health at worst. A typical pizza ranges from $5-15 dollars, and will barely satiate at all. A healthier meal at a restaurant will definitely cost you a lot more, but if money is truly of concern why would anyone consider eating at a restaurant to begin with? I guess some would argue convenience here, but is it really that hard to spend 20 minutes cooking a meal at home?
I understand some people eat out for social reasons, and that's okay if you can afford it. Most people eat out just out of convenience.

So lets see what you can buy with $5 dollars at the grocery:

- An entire sack of potatoes

- 1 lb of meat

- 3-4 cans of assorted vegetables

- Damn near 2 gallons of milk

- More than a dozen eggs

- Close to a couple bags of frozen vegetables, if not more
- A bag full of frozen fruits

Lets break down a typical day on a typical American's diet:

- decently sized bowl of cereal @ $5 per box = approx $0.50
- 1 yoplait yogurt = $1.49
- 1 nature valley bar @ $4.75 per box = approx $0.70
- 1 snack from vending machine = $1.00

- 1 can of coke @ $10 pack = approx $0.80

- 1 lean cuisine TV dinner = $5

Okay so we're at $9.49 already for the day and by my conservative estimate (I added extra extra calories too) we're approximately around 1200 calories for the day, which as you know is NOT what most people are consuming daily.

Do you see where i'm going with this? I mean, is it just me or is eating unhealthy not actually cheaper at all?
I mean, even at $10 dollars per day worth of shit food, that's still $300 dollars per month and you know, i'm not really spending that much more on my constant supply of farm fresh food.. Lets face it, most people spend considerably more on the junk food too.

I know my estimates were rough and approximate, but I was trying to be as realistic as possible.. I didn't cram in extra cost there, if anything my estimates were conservative..

^ I believe it. I'm working on a healthy food budget right now and i believe i can have an extremely healthy diet by spending about 120 dollars a week (120 dollars for the first week, second week should be less because first week i'm buying ingredients)

I'm also cutting meat 'till i find a local farm that sells grassfed meat, i'm done eating steroid treated like shit cows.

So your average fast food meal ranges anywhere from $3-7 dollars, often more. These meals barely wet a person's appetite for long and are significantly devoid of nutrition at best, and detrimental to our health at worst. A typical pizza ranges from $5-15 dollars, and will barely satiate at all.

- 1 lb of meat

- More than a dozen eggs

Okay so we're at $9.49 already for the day and by my conservative estimate (I added extra extra calories too) we're approximately around 1200 calories for the day, which as you know is NOT what most people are consuming daily.

lol are serious?

NEVER SAID THERE WAS

you did once at least with your comment on fluoridation of water. this is considered a grand conspiracy that essentially (unless you buy bottled water) forces people to consume something that is purposefully "poisoned."

you can have your injection against fast food and unhealthy eating but spreading mis information and eluding to a system that is so against them they should consider themselves fucked does a lot more to encourage apathy than it does to empower people to be healthy. Basically if people start thinking the system is overwhelmingly rigged against them, they will become apathetic to trying to improve themselves or the system. I think if there is some grand conspiracy by elites trying to control the world, it's that they don't have any real control over it at all but if they can make the public think they are that smart and powerful it demotivates the 99% and puts them in a state of fear.

wizard-of-oz%20hologram.jpg

Here's an interesting docu series from the good old ol' BBC some of you might be interested in. I've talked with a nephew of mine whos a researcher at an academic hospital ( doing research about diabetics related stuff which are too technical for me to remember) and he confirms large parts of the things talked, but was more nuanced on the causality side of things. That's why he's a researcher, I guess. But the point is, good docu, but realise that some aspects can be journalistically enhanced, if you will. The main parts still largely stand though.

I can't remember the exact details, because it must have been half a year ago. :/

http://youtu.be/E6nGlLUBkOQ

http://youtu.be/owekbSp7wU0

http://youtu.be/ZlQHXkOUjeI

Guest fiznuthian

So your average fast food meal ranges anywhere from $3-7 dollars, often more. These meals barely wet a person's appetite for long and are significantly devoid of nutrition at best, and detrimental to our health at worst. A typical pizza ranges from $5-15 dollars, and will barely satiate at all.

- 1 lb of meat

- More than a dozen eggs

lol are serious?

What do you mean? Is my shitty rough estimate really that far off from reality?

Guest fiznuthian

^ I believe it. I'm working on a healthy food budget right now and i believe i can have an extremely healthy diet by spending about 120 dollars a week (120 dollars for the first week, second week should be less because first week i'm buying ingredients)

I'm also cutting meat 'till i find a local farm that sells grassfed meat, i'm done eating steroid treated like shit cows.

Yeah, the company I work for is negotiating with a large local CSA farmshare. I'll be making the switch shortly after too, for both reasons as well. Grass-fed is simply more nutritious.

I spend about the same as you, 100-150 a week on an extremely nutrient dense assortment of food. I go through phases where I budget down to eggs, potatoes, milk, and anything I can manage to score on sale. I'll stock up on canned vegetables whenever I can. My budget routine saves quite a lot. I buy little to nothing processed except for butter, every last bit of my food is in whole form and I don't eat wheat, barely eat rice.

Just scanning around poll data and USDA figures, I think most Americans are spending $100 to $150 or so on food per week. So eating healthy costs an arm and a leg huh? I'm not seeing a drastic difference as often claimed..

Archived