IGNORED

Elysium

Squee

Guest zaphod

i liked aspects of district 9. best power armor/mech in a movie. i agree about the south african robocop potential. it felt like one third of an 80s classic.

yeah, I wasn't going to mention the mech for fear of a spoiler, but yeah, it looked fantastic. The vfx were GREAT for a low-budget flick. Too bad the mech sequence degenerated into unintentional hilarity and facepalming.

yeah, the audience i saw it with started to cheer when that sequence begins, but it became obvious fairly quickly where it was going. really a shame. they got so close.

this movie looks generic as shit. i'll definitely go see it, but i'm not really feeling the trailer. "space action" is a really boring excuse for science fiction. i'd like to see some hard sf that maybe has a couple action set pieces but doesn't revolve around nonsensical ideas that we've seen a million times before.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i liked aspects of district 9. best power armor/mech in a movie. i agree about the south african robocop potential. it felt like one third of an 80s classic.

yeah, I wasn't going to mention the mech for fear of a spoiler, but yeah, it looked fantastic. The vfx were GREAT for a low-budget flick. Too bad the mech sequence degenerated into unintentional hilarity and facepalming.

yeah, the audience i saw it with started to cheer when that sequence begins, but it became obvious fairly quickly where it was going. really a shame. they got so close.

this movie looks generic as shit. i'll definitely go see it, but i'm not really feeling the trailer. "space action" is a really boring excuse for science fiction. i'd like to see some hard sf that maybe has a couple action set pieces but doesn't revolve around nonsensical ideas that we've seen a million times before.

I can stand on this.

I'm just gonna say it, I think sci fi is usually more suited to TV series than to feature films. When you think of all the best science fiction novels you've read, how many could be shoehorned into the traditional 2 hr matinee format?

I guess I should add "and video games", as Mass Effect and others have proved, video games are a great medium for sci fi.

It takes time to unfurl an entire new world properly.

It makes me nervous how they made that space thing like a heaven and earth like shit and now someone has to go and ruin heaven or something so shit can get satisfied. I get what they're thinking about but such a simple polar angle to everything man

Guest Mirezzi

I'm just gonna say it, I think sci fi is usually more suited to TV series than to feature films. When you think of all the best science fiction novels you've read, how many could be shoehorned into the traditional 2 hr matinee format?

I guess I should add "and video games", as Mass Effect and others have proved, video games are a great medium for sci fi.

It takes time to unfurl an entire new world properly.

Did you like BSG? I'll admit that I never finished it because it became too much of a dry, theistic, posthuman morality soap opera, but when it was good, it was damned good.

I haven't done Mass Effect. I've tried three times and failed to get beyond the first few hours of the game.

I didn't finish BSG and I agree with everything you said.

To be honest, I don't finish most sci-fi series. I tend to buy them all (the ripped Chinese versions) - I have boxed sets of Babylon 5, Firefly, Farscape, every Star Trek version, BSG, Dr. Who, and probably some others I'm forgetting (plus every Star Trek movie and Star Wars movie, even the execrable prequels).

I think the only ones I've made it through from start to finish are ST: TNG and ST: DS9. It's always a love hate relationship with sci fi series for me. On the one hand, I love the imagination, but I also throw up my hands at every line of cheesy dialogue and cardboard characterization. I have a pretty decent threshold for bad special effects, for example I stuck with Babylon 5 for a long time despite the beyond dated vfx. I think that show is underrated (though I never finished it).

I'd love to see a show that was the sci fi equivalent of Breaking Bad - intimate, carefully plotted, really well written and acted. That would give me a klingon boner.

• 2 months later...

looks amazing. its a decent year for scifi

you don't mind that the trailer seems to expose the whole film?

1) humanity is divided into haves, located on Elysium, and have nots, located on earth (cue intro of hero Matt Damon)

2) the have nots are treated as disposable, like slaves or cattle (cue weird Total Recall robot head ripoff)

3) as with Dist 9, "the enemy" are other humans (the haves)

4) instead of making the movie interesting and having Damon play a morally ambiguous antihero, they have to give him multiple altruistic reasons for attacking other humans: oh, he's doing it because people are oppressed; oh wait, not only that, but he's doing it to save his wife; oh wait, not only that, he's doing it to save himself because he was mortally wounded in some strange industrial accident that gives him 5 days to live, and requires a super-cool exoskeleton be welded to his body

5) oh wait, the super-cool exoskeleton (another plot point that comes directly from Dist 9, when dude's body became part bug) also magically grant him the power to "override their whole system" (lol)

6) as with Dist 9, climax involves super good guy welded to exoskeleton doing battle with super-sleazy merc types

7) roll credits

at least there aren't any black people in this one

JUST KIDDING

yes I'm a miserable cunt

Looks a bit "Transformers", really liked D9 because it looked so gritty and the CG blended so well.

LOL

Exactly. And not only due to the looks. Matt Damon is just some substitute for some robot and that's about it. I thought the premisse was nice though. The distinction between the haves and the have nots. After that, just more transformers.

I would have loved it if I was still 12.

FYI. wasn't too impressed with D9, so my opinion is basically invalid from the start. Seen it once. It was nice. But not interested to see it another time. (it's not nearly on par with Alien, or Blade Runner , imo)

Guest RadarJammer

looks amazing. its a decent year for scifi

you don't mind that the trailer seems to expose the whole film?

1) humanity is divided into haves, located on Elysium, and have nots, located on earth (cue intro of hero Matt Damon)

2) the have nots are treated as disposable, like slaves or cattle (cue weird Total Recall robot head ripoff)

3) as with Dist 9, "the enemy" are other humans (the haves)

4) instead of making the movie interesting and having Damon play a morally ambiguous antihero, they have to give him multiple altruistic reasons for attacking other humans: oh, he's doing it because people are oppressed; oh wait, not only that, but he's doing it to save his wife; oh wait, not only that, he's doing it to save himself because he was mortally wounded in some strange industrial accident that gives him 5 days to live, and requires a super-cool exoskeleton be welded to his body

5) oh wait, the super-cool exoskeleton (another plot point that comes directly from Dist 9, when dude's body became part bug) also magically grant him the power to "override their whole system" (lol)

6) as with Dist 9, climax involves super good guy welded to exoskeleton doing battle with super-sleazy merc types

7) roll credits

at least there aren't any black people in this one

JUST KIDDING

yes I'm a miserable cunt

science fiction is hammy and outrageous and silly and kinda retarded but its also fancy and awesome fun cool adventure thumbs up

i think the haves/haves not isn't a district 9 idea its rooted in reality and i think if you took a minute and extrapolated life on earth as it is today into the future you easily get something like elysium irl

D9 started out quite nice, but i got so disappointed when that flick lost both engines mid flight and hilariously dipped nose down into a huge pile of bland action movie poo to get entirely absorbed by it, with the exception of the really cool exoskeleton sequence sticking out a little, for a few seconds.

now this new one looks like it will just be that pile of poo.

Guest Franklin

lump knows what is what.

hey lump I'm wondering if you ever watched the tv series Red Dwarf. british comedy sci-fi. you will probably not like it right away in season 1 as the characters take time to grow on you and as the writing starts out fairly lame with dumb jokes etc. I would say that last year I watched this show (10 seasons) twice entirely a show per night just before bed and after smoking a small amount of weed. it's a very fun, relaxing show that several times was enjoyable as the most enjoyable BSG episodes before it got all exactly the way mirezzi said. (it's still worth finishing it guys).

anyways I won't remember to check this thread so don't respond here lol.

Guest RadarJammer

i can't believe you guys will pick apart a matt damon movie and hold it to some sort of literary standard

come to think of it, I think watmm has collectively, preemptively shit on every big budget science fiction movie that's come out since i've been here

• 2 months later...

Archived