IGNORED

Elysium

Squee

My guess is those who disliked District 9 won't like Elysium either. You're entitled to your opinions, but I'm not gonna knock this film until after I've watched it. Even knocking it's not a guarantee though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blomkamp seems to have a thing for power armor. Will probably see this at some point since it's sci-fi and the space station looks like the Citadel from Mass Effect.

isn't mass effect in a lot of aways a tribute to that classic scifi illustrator guy? but wouldn't be surprised if Blomkamp was a mass effect fan.

Pretty sure Mass Effect was heavily inspired by Syd Mead's work

syd-mead_1.jpg

http://ceerial.tumblr.com/post/47354915639/syd-mead (shameless self-promotion, sorry)

If this doesn't activate your movie wang then I don't even...

I have a massive nerd boner for this movie.

And Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity, that shit is gonna be tight no matter what. Plus Oblivion actually doesn't look bad either. Sci-fi is seeming to be making a major comeback.

...And then Blade Runner 2 will ruin it.

Blomkamp seems to have a thing for power armor. Will probably see this at some point since it's sci-fi and the space station looks like the Citadel from Mass Effect.

isn't mass effect in a lot of aways a tribute to that classic scifi illustrator guy? but wouldn't be surprised if Blomkamp was a mass effect fan.

Pretty sure Mass Effect was heavily inspired by Syd Mead's work

syd-mead_1.jpg

http://ceerial.tumblr.com/post/47354915639/syd-mead (shameless self-promotion, sorry)

Don E. Davis and Rick Guidice did similar concept art for NASA in 1975 for the Stanford_torus and O'Neill_cylinder concepts.

Internal_view_of_the_Stanford_torus.jpg

AC75-1086-1.jpg

district 9 was shit and this will be shit.

but he's right...basically

I've actually put off seeing District 9 because I heard very negative and/or disappointing reviews from a number of friends who usually love such movies and whose opinions I respect. They cited a few different reasons, including it more or less stereotyping Nigerians (ironic considering the plot). That said, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing Elysium.

I actually thought that first photo was made by Syd Mead.

But awesome, thanks for sharing.

Myd is the man but I've started to discover more and more peers of his from the 70s, including a lot of good Japanese ones.

I've actually put off seeing District 9 because I heard very negative and/or disappointing reviews from a number of friends who usually love such movies and whose opinions I respect. They cited a few different reasons, including it more or less stereotyping Nigerians (ironic considering the plot). That said, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing Elysium.

that's a shame you have put off seeing possibly the best and most balls to the wall scifi action movie of the last decade

that's a shame you have put off seeing possibly the best and most balls to the wall scifi action movie of the last decade

Yeah, it is pretty good. I've seen it quite a few times.

I'm not completely writing in off, in fact I mean to watch it and now I probably will soon to gear up for the movies coming out.

I just wanted to note that despite the critical acclaim I noticed very sincere criticism of it also come out. I had the same experience with friends who hated Slumdog Millionaire which I did get around to seeing it - I didn't love it but I enjoyed watching it.

This looks pretty good, I like District 9... Looking forward to this. Seems to be a lot of post-apocalyptic sci-fi's emerging lately... As long as they are well done I support this trend.

Guest Shit Attack

I wonder why they make all these films with almost the same premise at the same time . this one looks better than the other ones tho

I know a very cynical film buff at work who said District 9 was shit because he didn't like the newscam style and switched it off just before the story really started, crazy fool!

This could be the underdog of the year but we'll have to see, lots of good stuff this spring/summer.

I'm not completely writing in off, in fact I mean to watch it and now I probably will soon to gear up for the movies coming out.

I just wanted to note that despite the critical acclaim I noticed very sincere criticism of it also come out. I had the same experience with friends who hated Slumdog Millionaire which I did get around to seeing it - I didn't love it but I enjoyed watching it.

ok, I'll try not to spoiler but here are the things I liked and didn't like about the film:

pros:

- the lead guy starts off as an annoying somewhat racist and certainly clueless white dude. Some people didn't like him because he's, well, annoying, but I found his "funny" lines were in fact pretty funny. So far so good

- novel set up for a sci fi flick: set in South Africa. Draws parallel between white-black relations and human-alien relations. Pretty promising

- cool alien design

- cool realistic camera work, yes it's shaky-cam docu style, but they pull it off

cons:

- as the movie goes on, it becomes more and more predictable, more and more cliche. Cliche'd bad guys. Cliche'd standoffs. Cliche'd emotional cues. Cliche'd music. In fact it almost turns into a completely different film. Transparent plot devices.

I didn't feel the film was racist at all, so I think that's a false accusation. If it's racist, then Boyz N the Hood was racist against blacks, or the Godfather was racist against Italians. It just shows some nasty Nigerian gangsters, big deal. I guess the director is white so that makes it more touchy. Whatever.

The main problem with the film is it wants to be social satire, very much like Robocop: same dark humor, same level of gore. So why not go for it? Instead they pull their punches, and leave in some of the in-your-face surprise gore, but try to marry it with slow-mo tear-jerky sentimentality. It simply doesn't work and becomes laughable.

The film really pissed me off, as I think it could have been a classic. It could have been the South African Robocop. As it turned out, it was a muddled mess that just got worse as it went along.

Guest zaphod

i liked aspects of district 9. best power armor/mech in a movie. i agree about the south african robocop potential. it felt like one third of an 80s classic.

And since I'm spilling bile, let me tell you why I think this new movie is gonna suck:

-looks even more "Black & White" than the first film, in terms of themes. Have and Have nots. Rich people bad. Poor white guy good.

- looks really predictable. Big flying space station. Good guys on the ground. Let me guess, they find a way to destroy the space station. Not a lot of options here, folks...

- shows the same armor fetishization of the first film, to a silly degree. So Matt Damon has to become an armored cyborg man to...fly through space to board the rich people's space station? Uh-huh.

I'm sure he'll make shit blow up real good, but...not really feeling it yet.

i liked aspects of district 9. best power armor/mech in a movie. i agree about the south african robocop potential. it felt like one third of an 80s classic.

yeah, I wasn't going to mention the mech for fear of a spoiler, but yeah, it looked fantastic. The vfx were GREAT for a low-budget flick. Too bad the mech sequence degenerated into unintentional hilarity and facepalming.

Kind of looks like a trailer for a video game, and im not into video games sooo i dont know. I will still watch it because i loved District 9 and i have faith in the filmakers.

Archived