IGNORED

Elysium

Squee

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it today. Enjoyed. Those robots looked amazing the cgi integration was spot on.

OK random question but did any one else notice bad voice dubs on Jodie Foster? Her mouth movement never matched her voice

I was really disappointed. I was expecting more subtly, more of an exciting/complex plot, and yes better overdubbing. Visuals were great, bit to me it was just a big old action flick. It had potential to be so much more. The bad guy was way over the top and took up too much screen time. And yeah the ending was a let down. A lot of holes in the movie.

Saw it today. Enjoyed. Those robots looked amazing the cgi integration was spot on.

OK random question but did any one else notice bad voice dubs on Jodie Foster? Her mouth movement never matched her voice

yes I commented on that while I was watching the film! wtf!

this movie looks generic as shit. i'll definitely go see it, but i'm not really feeling the trailer. "space action" is a really boring excuse for science fiction. i'd like to see some hard sf that maybe has a couple action set pieces but doesn't revolve around nonsensical ideas that we've seen a million times before.

I can stand on this.

Good idea - lets list sci-fi films that are not just "space action"

I assume 'twists' are OK cos twists are a staple of sci-fi?

- Solaris - original and clooney versions both pretty damn good. also recommend the book

- Moon

- Source Code (same director as Moon)

- Cypher (obscure, and a bit silly, but some cool ideas)

- Primer (amazing low budget mindfuck, cant explain what its about without giving it away)

Honourable mention for Oblivion. It deals with ideas that have been done before but does it in a pretty effective way. Also I thought Oblivion was interesting in that it was big budget sci-fi that didn't feel the need to put in stupid funny bits. A lot of big sci-fi movies seem to be 'scared' of being sci-fi and so put in silly stuff to try and broaden the appeal (5th element, star wars etc). None of that with Oblivion, its got a story to tell and it gets on with it, without any anthropomorhpic aliens playing wind instruments in bars etc etc.

anthropomorhpic aliens playing wind instruments in bars etc etc.

ahhh fuck! does that mean the black urns in prometheus are really cocktail shakers?

Guest bitroast

i thought it was a pretty terribly average movie.

it looked good. and it had an alright premise. but i felt that the tone of the film was a bit cluttered and confused.

like, it would just back and forth between humorous and comedic to actiony and videogame to serious to tense to political.

it's hard to explain but it felt a bit like it was trying to a be a bit too many things at once.

the acting was so played up and hammy at times. it was kind of great and fun. but then it would be clashed with this serious and completely bogged down with tenseness and seriousness.

it was confusing and near impossible to get into.

i would have to say, it's ok. nothing more. potentially something less. but definitely nothing more. worth a download or a purchase but not worth a movie ticket price.

I agree, pigster, and that feeling is representative of much more than just this film. Honestly so many movies (this included) just seem like exercises and/or videogames these days (and videogames like movies); there's this horrible transparent monotony a la big-budget media falling over most things that aren't overtly independent (movies and games just running through established tropes, and the audience apparently appreciating the predictability), and as stated, I see right through it, and it makes most things that cost lots of money just seem like that episode of south park where stan only hears fart noises everywhere.

Everything is just trying to pull the wool over your eyes and jack your money. Nothing is sacred. :sad:

Guest bitroast

agreed.

i saw Man of Steel with friends.

and left feeling disgusted and robbed and that i had completely lost 2 + hours of my life.

and again, i went and saw elysium.

and had similar feelings of reaction. not quite as bad as with Man of steel. but definitely similar.

i am completely sick of 'fun' nothing action movies of current.

elysium (and man of steel) has made me decide to never fucken pay any attention to new action movie that's coming out in the cinemas (unless it's like, getting stupid rave 10/10 reviews).

in other words.

it's taking no effort at all for me to say that this film was bullshit.

agreed.

and left feeling disgusted and robbed and that i had completely lost 2 + hours of my life.

and had similar feelings of reaction. not quite as bad as with Man of steel. but definitely similar.

elysium (and man of steel) has made me decide to never fucken pay any attention to new action movie that's coming out in the cinemas (unless it's like, getting stupid rave 10/10 reviews).

in other words.

on other terms: the last star trek was better

anthropomorhpic aliens playing wind instruments in bars etc etc.

ahhh fuck! does that mean the black urns in prometheus are really cocktail shakers?

Everything in Prometheus is about cocks.

Guest bitroast

agreed.

in other words.

on other terms: the last star trek was better

agreed!

it was !!spolier!! completely unoriginal in regards to the story.

and watching the redlettermedia review made points out how flawed and illogical and plothole ridden the story was.

but.

it was well directed and fun and i actually sort of really enjoyed sitting in the cinema and watching the movie.

i don't know if you're taking the piss or not, using the last strek trek film as reference because it was such a shitty nothing film, but i'm going to agree and say yes completely 100% star trek into darkness was a billion times better.

The part where Sharlto Copley gets his face blown off and then regrown was pretty cool. Anytime things are being shot is worth seeing. The theme of Mexican immigrants was pretty obvious and not taken very far. It's not a long movie, it seems really abrupt, but that also means it's less of an investment. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a much longer cut of the movie. I'd Netflix it if you don't see it in theaters.

The part where Sharlto Copley gets his face blown off and then regrown was pretty cool. Anytime things are being shot is worth seeing. The theme of Mexican immigrants was pretty obvious and not taken very far. It's not a long movie, it seems really abrupt, but that also means it's less of an investment. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a much longer cut of the movie. I'd Netflix it if you don't see it in theaters.

Yeah that bit was great almost looked stop motion?

oh.. are there actually any examples of modern (CGI age) films using stop motion, apart from Wallace & Gromit type of animation? i fucking love stop motion. i wish they would actually have made Jurassic Park using stop motion.

Looks like a futuristic movie about class warfare that becomes real warfare, and the good guys (poor people) solve all of their problems by slugging it out with mechanized suits.

But that's just my assessment from the trailer. Haven't seen it yet.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I think the Prometheus comparisons are very apt. I enjoyed watching both but afterwards they fell apart. Prometheus I think I enjoyed more but fell apart equally to this dumb shit of a movie.

It's a hard film to recommend because the best thing is the visuals, which you should see in cinemas, but really this is a wait for dvd rental quality film otherwise, but then it'll look worse

this film was always going to get picked apart by us on this site, its Hollywood big budget and it was made to make money.

but look past that and plot holes and sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

the cgi is some of the best i have seen and plenty that put a smile on my face.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

it's a shame they didn't go with their first choice of actor for the lead role: eminem.

it's a shame the south african guy form district 9 couldnt have played the lead. because he was pretty bad as the bad guy

it's a shame they didn't go with their first choice of actor for the lead role: eminem.

And Eminem said he would only star in it if they filmed it in Detroit. (maybe not such a bad idea, considering it's dystopian as fuck right now. They'd save money building sets, look very authentic, and maybe get the city a little bit of money?) The director didn't like that idea, so no Eminem. Originally, the director wanted Ninja from Die Antwoord, but he didn't want to speak in an American accent in his first role. Obviously, in a situation like this, you call up Matt Damon.

sounds to me like a deflected cover story for the obvious fact that a studio funding a 200million dollar movie would never allow Eminem or Ninja to play anything other than a cameo. Can you imagine a studio green-lighting a massive budget film with a has-been white rapper as the lead actor? I can't

Archived