IGNORED

GX-1 delivery

Rbrmyofr

Looks like it's wrapped in a single layer of bubblewrap

Has two layers ever been necessary? We are talking about bubblewrap here.

Looks like it's wrapped in a single layer of bubblewrap

Has two layers ever been necessary? We are talking about bubblewrap here.

If that GX-1 belonged to me I would want the illusion of protection afforded by further layers of bubblewrap.

Wow. I didn't know about this piece of hardware.

From Wikipedia:

"The Yamaha GX-1, first released as Electone GX-707,[note 1] is an analog polyphonic synthesizer developed by Yamaha as a test bed for later consumer synths.

The GX-1 console weighs 300 kg. The pedalboard and stand add 87 kg, and each of its tube-powered speakers, four of which can be connected to the GX-1, weighs 141 kg (Which together equals a total of 951 kg, or 2096 lb).

The GX-1 cost $60,000 (compensated for Consumer Price Index inflation, that price equals $295,555 in 2010), and was premiered in the US in 1973 at the NAMM convention. The exact production number is unknown, but thought to total fewer than 100. At least 13 GX-1s are known to exist outside Japan, the remainder are presumed to have stayed in Japan."

Thing is definitely a beast.

After having the privelege of playing a Yamaha CS-40M (I think that was the model) last year, I developed quite a fetish for the CS series. And of course this thing is like a demented big brother to the CS series.

I have to say it is extremely painful to watch YouTube demos where people treat the thing like a little Casio rompler preset machine and they play like "Greensleeves" on a flute patch. I guess it's always a tad frustrating when people have amazing gear that they don't know how to use.

I guess it's always a tad frustrating when people have amazing gear that they don't know how to use.

there was a whole thread about that in EKT called something like "the worst music on the best gear". it was excellent, you should look it up for lols.

edit: here it is

Oh cool thanks for the link

I was just about to make a search function joke

I saw a CS or some flavor for sale here for quite cheap a while back. Looks like it would be up your alley with minimal editing capability. :*

yeah if I was gonna get a CS I would want to get one of the poly's (probably the CS-50 as it's limited in the ways that I like gear to be limited). Either that or the extremely cheap CS-01.

The one I played was a mono (CS-40m, actually 2-note polyphony I think) and as great as it was I don't want to own alot of gear so there's only room in my life for one mono.

Guest yikes

my you tube comment

"did rich play this in real time?

must have been sequenced.

i didn't think he could play piano like that.

also-this is dangerously close to prog-rock territory.

hints of ELP,focus,genesis,stevie wonder etc.

I know he would loathe the comparison but.......

"

my you tube comment

"did rich play this in real time?

must have been sequenced.

i didn't think he could play piano like that.

also-this is dangerously close to prog-rock territory.

hints of ELP,focus,genesis,stevie wonder etc.

I know he would loathe the comparison but.......

"

I think the GX1 has a sequencer of some kind which was probably shit hot for its time.

techdiff put this interesting vid his facebook yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2bxLA6-Lo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Archived