IGNORED

New consoles/E3 2013 thread

Npoess

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pennywise

Im so glad food was wasted to make such a masterpiece. Also, If he was thinking 'it was worth it' when he was clearing up, it really wasn't

cunt.

technically this gen is utter bullshit, they basically put a 2 year gpu inside a ps4 and something even shittier in xbone one. the new need for speed is locked on 30 fps, fucking facepalm. also what's the point of 8gb of ddr5 if it can't even render full hd on battlefield 4? another 5 years of suffering shitty ports on pc's.

technically this gen is utter bullshit, they basically put a 2 year gpu inside a ps4 and something even shittier in xbone one. the new need for speed is locked on 30 fps, fucking facepalm. also what's the point of 8gb of ddr5 if it can't even render full hd on battlefield 4? another 5 years of suffering shitty ports on pc's.

don't forget that the 'new' generation of consoles are using SATA II drives in their machines (and thus, likely only have SATA II capable SATA ports) which are 8 years old.

so even if you do put an SSD in there, it's still being bottlenecked by the SATA bus.

next gen.

I know this will shock some, but I actually agree - especially on the SATA II spec - couldn't they have used SATA III without any real increase in cost, or is there something more complicated in the whole build that affects it?

To be fair, devs not making their game take full advantage of the hardware is their fault, not the console makers - I am sure they could get all these games 1080P/60 with more time - but they were rushed to launch, just like almost all console launch titles. The good thing is they can always patch them (as has been the case with a few titles so far).

I think the reason conoles always launch with older components is they have to finalize and lock down the hardware spec so developers have time to get their heads around what the machine's limitations are so they can make games that conform to the spec - the PS4 was started in 2008, so I imagine not too long after that (a year or two at most) they had to settle on what the CPU/GPU spec would be and finalize that.

Honestly there's no real reason to get either console right now - the PS4 is fun and all, but could the launch have waited until March or April of next year, giving more time to polish the lineup and have more titles at launch? I think so. Same goes for XBONE. I do think Sony's done a better job of their launch though, with the focus on games (and actually giving away a few free games at launch) and having most of their promised features ready. I can't understand how something like surround sound, something that's been part of console gaming since the PS2/XBOX era, wasn't ready on XBONE at launch. It's right up there with Sony thinking nobody uses their console as a DNLA/streaming device and removing the feature, despite the PS3 having it and it working reasonably well.

Guest viscosity

Just got a PS3 myself for the sole purpose of playing some exclusive titles I missed out on. Just picked up second-hand Demon's Souls and UMvC3.

haven't been proper into consoles since Gamecube. But at least Nintendo made some great exclusive games.. I don't think I would ever consider an Xbox these days.. The Halo franchise lost its charm for me after it went online and literally all the other worthwhile titles are ported to windows.

Only complaint with PS3.. I can handle lower resolutions, but the load times on some games are like 30 seconds long.. and getting a game installed on the hdd needs to be bought through the PSN Store (which is seriously overpriced), so a SSD upgrade would be a hefty investment..

I dunno, I think i've been spoiled by having a competent PC, consoles are only worth certain game IPs.. an even then I have more then enough on my pc to keep me busy

atleast it works as a cheap blu-ray/streaming device

Just got a PS3 myself for the sole purpose of playing some exclusive titles I missed out on. Just picked up second-hand Demon's Souls and UMvC3.

haven't been proper into consoles since Gamecube. But at least Nintendo made some great exclusive games.. I don't think I would ever consider an Xbox these days.. The Halo franchise lost its charm for me after it went online and literally all the other worthwhile titles are ported to windows.

Only complaint with PS3.. I can handle lower resolutions, but the load times on some games are like 30 seconds long.. and getting a game installed on the hdd needs to be bought through the PSN Store (which is seriously overpriced), so a SSD upgrade would be a hefty investment..

I dunno, I think i've been spoiled by having a competent PC, consoles are only worth certain game IPs.. an even then I have more then enough on my pc to keep me busy

I got a PS3 in late 2011 (which was my first console since the early-mid nineties), and have been working through the decent games. While a lot of older games had horrible load times, some first party titles are fantastic. The Last of Us is a good example of what should have been all along - a moderate initial load screen on game startup but then absolutely zero in-game loads for the duration of your play-through. Some of the tricks Naughty Dog learned should have been passed on to third party developers in some spirit of good faith cooperation, honestly. Not that this would have ever happened, because capitalism.

I got a PS3 in late 2011 (which was my first console since the early-mid nineties), and have been working through the decent games. While a lot of older games had horrible load times, some first party titles are fantastic. The Last of Us is a good example of what should have been all along - a moderate initial load screen on game startup but then absolutely zero in-game loads for the duration of your play-through. Some of the tricks Naughty Dog learned should have been passed on to third party developers in some spirit of good faith cooperation, honestly. Not that this would have ever happened, because capitalism.

Sony's internal studios share development and even code with third parties all the time... Naughty Dog are just really, really good at what they do.

Don't bother with an SSD for the PS3 - it doesn't support SATA III (I don't even know if the PS3 supports SATA II), so any benefit of an SSD will be crippled by the interface. A cheaper (and better) investment would be a hybrid HDD with at least a 32GB cache on it or higher.

Sony's internal studios share development and even code with third parties all the time... Naughty Dog are just really, really good at what they do.

Don't bother with an SSD for the PS3 - it doesn't support SATA III (I don't even know if the PS3 supports SATA II), so any benefit of an SSD will be crippled by the interface. A cheaper (and better) investment would be a hybrid HDD with at least a 32GB cache on it or higher.

there would still be no major benefit with a hybrid drive.

without SATA III interface, it's ridiculous

Wouldn't the drive cache the most frequently used data (games, OS) on the solid-state portion of the hybrid drive?

Wouldn't the drive cache the most frequently used data (games, OS) on the solid-state portion of the hybrid drive?

yeah, and it would only serve it at SATA II speeds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oECd3kn_Jg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wfYnYCJQI

what I dug up yesterday researching this, second video is impractical for me.. as i'm prob just gonna give it a library rent and you can't install from disc apparently

edit: looks like it shaves just a couple seconds for DS, not really worth it

the PS3 only supports SATA I, not even SATA II, so putting an SSD in a PS3 really would be a complete waste of money.

SATA II, yes - even SATA I - but wouldn't the cache portion still be faster than off the spinning platter portion?

SATA II, yes - even SATA I - but wouldn't the cache portion still be faster than off the spinning platter portion?

yeah, but it's all for nought when the bottleneck is the SATA II interface. which it would be.

Archived