IGNORED

For anyone interested in the REAL Trans-Canada Highway...

Guest Araungzeb

Guest Araungzeb

So my friend and I have always wanted to do some sort of road trip, and on June 9th we left from Maine to do a two-week trip along the entire Trans-Canada Highway to Vancouver and back. We're currently at the Pacific Ocean getting ready to head back, but I've been keeping a photo/video blog of the trip to chronicle the journey (it's currently a few days behind because it takes forever to upload things on iffy wifi connections at McDonalds/Tim Hortons). I figured that since the TCH is part of the boards mythos and that most people will never get a chance to actually see it that some of you might be interested in seeing what it's like. So here:

http://transcanadaexpress.tumblr.com/

And yes, I do fully realize that this puts me in the top-tier of psychopathic BOC fanboys. :wtf:

I drive on the TransCanada all the time. Specifically from Calgary to Vancouver.

It's a beautiful highway especially as it passes through the rocky mountains.

I'd like to hear what parts you enjoyed the most!

Guest Araungzeb

I drive on the TransCanada all the time. Specifically from Calgary to Vancouver.

It's a beautiful highway especially as it passes through the rocky mountains.

I'd like to hear what parts you enjoyed the most!

Yeah, it's by far the most amazing road I have ever travelled. The rockys from Calgary on was unbelievable, but I also really loved the drive along Lake Superior. We have amazing coastline like that in Maine, but it's almost more impressive that it's a lake and not an ocean. The prairies through Manitoba and Saskatchewan were pretty cool too as I had never seen anything completely open and flat like that before.

Really cool. Thanks for sharing, I 've always wondered what that highway was like. Calgary looks like a cool place. It actually fits the kind of city I'd love to live in. I'm gona consider the place for the future.

It's where I live.

Haha not to scare you away or anything.

But I highly recommend it. It is a very prosperous city with lots of opportunities. It has a blossoming food and art scene, but the music scene is pretty dead.

Lots of natural beauty too.

Calgary does look rather nice. I'd like to see what the residential areas look like.

nice jerb, 'zeb.

Most of the houses are quite nice. A lot of newer areas because Calgary has grown very quickly. It sprawls though, not a lot of high rise apartment buildings.

Google maps on aspen or pump hill or valley ridge. You'll find some multi million dollar homes ! =)

Edit: depending on what part of those communities.

Guest Araungzeb

Portland, which is about 3 hours or so from the Canadian border to Quebec

Nice I live in Portland right now, I dig the blog!

Whoa, go figure! I assumed I was the only WATMM member from Maine. I'm actually up in Falmouth but I spend all my time in Portland. Have you ever been to Moody Lords? Very good record store focusing on electronic music.

And Stephen, Calgary was a very cool looking city but my friend and I were freaked out because we were downtown at 7 PM on a Sunday and there was almost no one there. I felt like I was in a post-apocalyptic movie! Any chance you might be able to shed some light on that?

Really cool. Thanks for sharing, I 've always wondered what that highway was like. Calgary looks like a cool place. It actually fits the kind of city I'd love to live in. I'm gona consider the place for the future.

It's where I live.

But I highly recommend it. It is a very prosperous city with lots of opportunities. It has a blossoming food and art scene, but the music scene is pretty dead.

Calgary does look rather nice. I'd like to see what the residential areas look like.

nice jerb, 'zeb.

Most of the houses are quite nice. A lot of newer areas because Calgary has grown very quickly. It sprawls though, not a lot of high rise apartment buildings.

Google maps on aspen or pump hill or valley ridge. You'll find some multi million dollar homes ! =)

Sounds nice. Kinda jealous since I live in an almost countryside like suburb, with nothing but dull houses and lots and trees around for miles. Walking to the nearest place to get like a drink takes over an hour easily. But yeah I'm putting it on a list of places to consider for future living. Maybe if I move I can see some of the beautiful sites on the highway, that I see from the photos OP's posted on his tumblr.

Oh and man... is that city remote... It's a deaddog town in the middle of a tundra... ;)

Portland, which is about 3 hours or so from the Canadian border to Quebec

Nice I live in Portland right now, I dig the blog!

And Stephen, Calgary was a very cool looking city but my friend and I were freaked out because we were downtown at 7 PM on a Sunday and there was almost no one there. I felt like I was in a post-apocalyptic movie! Any chance you might be able to shed some light on that?

I wish I could? That's really odd... =/

It's where I live.

nice jerb, 'zeb.

Oh and man... is that city remote... It's a deaddog town in the middle of a tundra... ;)

lol yeah nothing here at all! Not even mailboxes to put my 1.5 month late bleep preorders in.

stephenG, are you aware of any cool or underground electronic (or even rock) happenings in calgary? all ive been able to find is dnb / dub nights on weekends at swanky clubs

stephenG, are you aware of any cool or underground electronic (or even rock) happenings in calgary? all ive been able to find is dnb / dub nights on weekends at swanky clubs

No sorry... unfortunately the music scene here is a complete joke. There is no good music here.

Only Deadmau5 and Skrillex.. Sometimes Paul Oakenfold and other similar shite...

Not really my cup-o-tea.. =(

Archived