IGNORED

Copenhagen

waldszenen

So I'm moving to Copenhagen in a few weeks to study. Was kind of a last minute decision to go, so I don't really know as much about the place as I'd like (and don't speak a word of Danish yet, although I'm registered for some classes so hopefully I'll pick it up as I go along).

So anyway, does anyone have any tips/ useful info about the place, or about Denmark and Danish culture as a whole? My last visit for an interview was very pleasant and I met some very nice people... in stark contrast to several warnings I've had about the coldness/rudeness of Danes.

I guess I'm looking for things like:

-Reasonably priced places to shop for food and other stuff

-Cool places to visit

-Pubs/ clubs

-A few choice swearwords

and anything else that might be relevant...

I was there this summer, I don't have too many tips though. Cheap food is found at the grocery stores innit, I think netto is the cheapest one(?). Blågårdsgade at nørrebro was a nice place to get drunk and hang around. In general I kinda dug the nørrebro area, it's a bit gritty and shitty, but in a nice way. There's also Torvehallerne (indoor food market) nearby where you can find pretty expensive, but good posh food.

Drink awesome beer at Mikeller bar.

You absolutely have to go to ride the elevator at the Axelborg builing facing the Tivoli main entrance, it's amazing. One of the best things I've stumbled upon while on holiday.

Hmmm.. yeah, I don't know copehagen too well. You'll find all the touristy crap on your own.

Ah nice, Copenhagen is so nice and the people are lovely. There's loads of museums and galleries to see (and castles).

Tivoli Gardens is really easy to get to and a must see if you are in town.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/sightseeing/top-30-attractions

There are loads of places to go out, I went to some nice places but can't remember the names of any of them.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/nightlife/top-10-nightclubs

It's pretty expensive there so try and save money wherever you can, like these happy hours.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/nightlife/top-10-happy-hour

After a big night out I really recommend you visit one of the places in town for brunch. They are seriously good..

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/children/top-10-brunch

Favorite swears in Danish for me have to be Pikansjos (dick anchovy) and Røvguitar (arse guitar).

Enjoy!

i went to the copenhagen whisky festival a few years back, the danes love their whisky! Aside from drinking we didnt do too much else, but its a nice walk along the central river and the parks are also great, will dig out my guide book...

We went just as the christmas street fairs were starting, was lovely.

Hej jeg er fra Danmark !

Hello I'm from Denmark !

First lesson learned :wink:

You would not believe how many swears there are in the danish language, most of them are best kept between friends,

do not try to say some of that stuff to random people on the street, danes are known to be maniacs when drunk.

Sorry but I am not living in copenhagen, I live in Århus. In my opinion Copenhagen is pretty boring, even the people living there would tell you the opposite and it is the capital.

Music wise Copenhagen is dead. Change your city to Århus instead if possible, people are more nice here and down to earth.

Cheap places to shop is: Fakta, Netto, Rema1000, Lidl. But cheap is also bad food, so keep that in mind.

Hmm, I don't know any pubs or public stuff in copenhagen.

But I would recommend you to go to Christiania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

Here you will find Loppen for example, maybe there are some good concerts?

Buy some muffins or a s...f while you are there.

You could come hear me and 90 other artists play in Aarhus, at ÅLF (Drumatix) You would need to take the bus or train to Jylland.

http://aalf.nu/

poster.jpg

Possible concerts here:

http://www.stengade.dk/

Jaki Liebezeit + burnt friedmann concert:

http://www.jazzhouse.dk

Ital Tek.

https://www.facebook.com/events/144935085706258/?ref=2

There are possibly going to be some forrest techno/trance parties in Århus while you are here, so that's a consideration as well.

Sorry I don't have more, but I don't go out much, I make music and sleep.

Feel free to contact me in a PM and we can talk

Tivoli is sweet around Halloween and Christmas. So go there if you get the chance.

Also, a lot of people like to say that Danish people are super hard to get to know, but it's really not that bad. Just talk to them and try to appear somewhat normal, and most people will be pretty nice and open.

Edit: Totally disagree with the guy above. Aarhus is a total shithole if you ask me. A dirty (seriously, there's a lot of crap floating in the streets there considering its size) and boring city. No offense to acidbob of course.

Ha, well I hope music isn't dead there cos I'm going to study it. Yeah, everyone mentions Christiania, will definitely make a bee-line for that when I arrive. No swearing at strangers in the street... will bear it in mind!

If you like to walk in the shopping streets or the malls drinking coffee and looking hipster then yes it's boring

The shit floating around is mainly due to the fact that Aarhus is a city for students, and they mess everything up during the weekends.

Copenhagen is just as dirty.

But I couldn't even find one really outstanding concert in Copenhagen, and believe me i tried.

Ok, AFX played there a while ago, but what else? Nothing.

Can you find something good happening in Copenhagen during the next month or two?

Actually on the boozing side of things... what's the story? I'm Irish and I drink quite a lot but I get the impression that the Danes are more hardcore. Lot of streetfights or more just general merriment?

Edit: no- I'm going to the Royal Danish Academy of Music, classical stuff.

Ah ok I see, then I think Copenhagen will be fine for you.

I thought the Irish were hardcore? I think things are beginning to change in Denmark, not so many drinking alcohol as there used to be, and people behaving them selves.

Even Christinia is not the same as it used to be :sad:

Oh by the way, a good thing to know is that most people in Denmark speak english

I thought the Irish were hardcore? I think things are beginning to change in Denmark, not so many drinking alcohol as there used to be, and people behaving them selves.

Even Christinia is not the same as it used to be :sad:

Oh you thought right, we're hard as feckin nails... nah I dunno, but anyway- pleased to be going somewhere that there's a bit of a drinking culture as opposed to a glass of wine with dinner.

It's just kind of a shithole, filled with hippies and outlaws (Christiania). I don't see the appeal at all.

But maybe you should give it a chance, some people find it a interesting visit.

Seems to me like a lot of things are shit to you guys? Maybe you could recommend a fine hotel in Dubai?

Contrast is not such a bad thing, the history of Christinia goes a long way back and there a living lots of different people, doctors, actresses, drug dealers, everything, seems to me like you guys has only been on pusherstreet, and havent even been there, i mean like walked outside the "tourist area"

It's a good place to go if you want to relax

This is WATMM. Everyone hates on everything because AFX is the only thing in life.

Copenhagen is just fine. People aren't jerks like you might have heard. The older generation might not be the most open people you'll encounter, but young people in Denmark have moved away from being shut-ins who don't like talking to strangers. Especially young people in the "big" cities. They are mostly very open and very friendly - this goes for both Aarhus and Copenhagen. The big difference between Aarhus and Copenhagen is the cost of living. Even though the shops are all the same, most things are just a tiny bit more expensive in Copenhagen. This goes for rent, public transportation, and so on. I will say, though, that the service at cafés, restaurants and so on is better in Aarhus and not as uptight as they MIGHT tend to be in Copenhagen. But, of course, it all depends on who serves you, right? I mean, that goes for pretty much anywhere in the world, right?

About the music... Copenhagen is a bigger city so there's room for more and varied things.

oh_gif.gif

I just blew everyone's MIND!

So you'll find a lot of hip clubs full of hipsters and clubs full of well dressed people, you'll find lots of trashy clubs, you'll find lots of chilled bars/cafés, and so on. Don't trust those who say that Copenhagen is boring. It's a bigger city and therefore you're bound to find more things. Just keep your eyes open. Aarhus is the exact same way but smaller so of course there won't be as many clubs, but there's pretty much a club or at least events for everyone. I can guarantee you that.

Also, don't trust people from Aarhus who don't like Copenhagen and don't trust people from Copenhagen who don't like Aarhus. There's some sort of struggle going on about who's the best... just don't pay any attention to that because each city is extremely charming.

So, here's some general advice: the best places to eat, shop and so on are in the small streets. Don't go near "Strøget" or you'll get ruined.

Go to Louisiana if you get the chance to do so. It's a great museum with some great installations. You can spend hours there. And yeah, you SHOULD go to Christiania. Sure, some parts of Christiania look like shit, but there are some really nice areas there, plus the place has a history. You should get coffee there. Also, go to on one of those tourist boats that take you around the city. It's very tourist-y but pretty cool.

Also, I've never had any problems cursing in English. "Fuck" and "shit" are very common Danish cuss words and won't get you in that much trouble as some Danish cuss words because they don't sound as filthy as some the stuff Danes might say.

Seems to me like a lot of things are shit to you guys? Maybe you could recommend a fine hotel in Dubai?

Contrast is not such a bad thing, the history of Christinia goes a long way back and there a living lots of different people, doctors, actresses, drug dealers, everything, seems to me like you guys has only been on pusherstreet, and havent even been there, i mean like walked outside the "tourist area"

It's a good place to go if you want to relax

All I said was that I don't see the appeal of Christiana, but that's a matter of personal preferences, I guess...

But other than that, I really like Copenhagen. In a couple of years, I will probably move there myself.

Archived