IGNORED

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King

MadameChaos

Sorry if old news but I'm pretty excited about this...

DoctorSleep_limited_1280x800.jpg

Doctor Sleep is a novel by Stephen King, a sequel to King's novel The Shining (1977), released in September 2013.[1] King first mentioned the idea in November 2009. The author's official website confirmed the project on September 26, 2011.[2] The audiobookedition of Stephen King's 2012 novel The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole, released on April 24, 2012, contains the novel's prologue read by the author.[3] The e-book publication of "In the Tall Grass", a novella written by King and his son Joe Hill, contains the text of this excerpt.[4] Describing the novel on his official site, King stated that it is "a return to balls-to-the-wall, keep-the-lights-on horror".[2]

With Doctor Sleep, Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his previous novels, The Shining. The novel features the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the twelve-year-old girl, Abra Stone, who possesses an even greater psychic ability ("shining") than Danny did as a child.

Following the events of The Shining, Danny remains psychologically traumatized; Wendy, his mother, is still in pain from her recovered injuries. Angry ghosts from The Overlook Hotel eventually find Danny, including the woman from Room 217. Chef Halloran eventually teaches Danny how to imprison the ghosts in lock boxes inside his mind.

The adult Dan reprises his father's legacy of anger and alcoholism. Dan drifts for decades, but eventually finds AA and gives up drinking. He settles in a New Hampshire town and works in a nursing home, where his remnant mental abilities provide comfort to the dying. With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future, Dan became "Doctor Sleep."

Dan establishes a telepathic bond with Abra. She contacts him in desperation when she receives clairvoyant knowledge of the ritual murder of the "Baseball Boy," another child who possesses "the shining." We learn that the child was sacrificed by a group called "The True Knot." Led by Rose the Hat, this group of almost immortal travelers criss-cross the country, periodically feeding on the psychic energy (which they call "steam") of children with the gift of "the shining." They discover Abra's existence and begin closing in on her. Dan and others engage in a struggle to save Abra from The True Knot. An epic war between good and evil ensues.[1]

Guest Shit Attack

think its room 217 in the book kubrick changed it + lied about why he changed it in the movie for some mysterioso reason

With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future, Dan became "Doctor Sleep."

:cisfor:

Yes, you're right about

think its room 217 in the book kubrick changed it + lied about why he changed it in the movie for some mysterioso reason

Yes right. But I'm in the Minority who liked the Movie better than the Book and for me it's Room 237.

Guest Shit Attack

didnt even read the book to be honest...........its still weird that he lied about why he changed it thoooo

also psychological trauma + helping people die sounds fun but a clairvoyant cat + immortal travellers from the future ? steve needs to "shine" stan to keep his ideas in check again or somethin

I really hope the majority prefers the film. I saw the film first ( many times), then I read the book and I was like wtf is this shit?

What an amazing cover.

Emboss & glowing edges in photoshop. You know, using all kinds of filters when you first discovered the program. Wish it had more lens flare.

Guest cult fiction

What an amazing cover.

Emboss & glowing edges in photoshop. You know, using all kinds of filters when you first discovered the program. Wish it had more lens flare.

Book art is almost always like this though. I don't know why, but books never got on the "let's make something aesthetically pleasing instead of actively terrible" bandwagon like album art did.

What an amazing cover.

Book art is almost always like this though. I don't know why, but books never got on the "let's make something aesthetically pleasing instead of actively terrible" bandwagon like album art did.

I feel ya. That just looks completely uninspired. Like the vapor thats sucked out of you is cigarette smoke.

Guest Shit Attack

what do you mean he lied? are you saying the hotel didn't ask him to change it to prevent putting people off staying in room 217?

take the source with a pinch of salt but am pretty sure the info is legit. read it other places too but cant find em right now.

"Kubrick told the press that he changed the room number from 217, as in the King book, to 237 because the owners of the hotel which was standing in for the Overlook did not want customers shunning room 217. Therefore Kubrick changed the number to one that was not in the hotel. So I called up the Timberline Hotel on Mount Hood in Oregon and asked if I could have a reservation for room 237. I was surprised when they said 'yes'. I asked if this was room was in a newer part of the resort and was told that the hotel had always had a room 237!"

http://www.sacredmysteries.com/public/300_2.cfm

Guest Shit Attack

ah wait stan was telling the truth sorry folks thats what happens when you read internet goofballs

http://smartmeetings.com/meeting-and-event-planning-news/2013/04/09/timberline-still-shining/

bet theyre sorry they cant flog room 217 now

"The Oregon lodge hosts murder mystery dinners inspired by the movie as well as having an Overlook Hotel-themed night once a year. On that day, all the mirrors at the lodge have “Red Rum” written on them,and, starting at midnight, the TVs in every room play the movie."

What an amazing cover.

actually they did get on, they just got off somewhere in the late 90s

see www.50watts.com for instance. or visit your university library

that's a different hotel fuckbox

my apologies madame, thought we were talking stanley. 

The Timberline is where the external shots for the shining was shot (internal was pinewood studios) and the Stanley is the hotel that inspired the novel. Easy mistake to make.

Archived