IGNORED

What should be taught in grade school that isn't?

may be rude

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." Frederick Douglas

Seeing how public discourse almost always seems instantly doomed to a petty digression into fallacies, it occurred to me that the logical fallacies being taught in grade school might drastically improve society. I took a college class on logic and it was really cool to learn that it had all been worked out into a system, and that people being wrong in arguments could be objectively determined.

In a recent Common Sense podcast, I think "Doomed to Mediocrity," Dan Carlin says that he thinks how to start businesses should be taught in grade school, every year, so that by the time you graduate you have a good idea about how to create a business and what business you might be good at creating. I thought that was a cool idea.

Another one is drugs. Some contries' governments and medias are controlled by drug cartels because of money they get selling drugs in the United States. Some say the United States legalizing drugs would alleviate that problem, and that if drug education were a class in school every year then the population could be safeguarded against the dangers of that. As it is, DARE is better than nothing but falls short of educating people on what drugs really do and are. People internalizing the nature of drugs could make the legalization that would liberate a huge portion of the world feasible.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a recent Common Sense podcast, I think "Doomed to Mediocrity," Dan Carlin says that he thinks how to start businesses should be taught in grade school, every year, so that by the time you graduate you have a good idea about how to create a business and what business you might be good at creating. I thought that was a cool idea.

I listen to that, i thought long and hard about it and i think its a horrible idea, teaching kids how to be businessman is just as crippling to imagination/creativity/etc, you are just teaching more mediocrity, more of that "do the right thing, get a job, get a wife, get a 401k"

Don't get me wrong, most people will end up in mediocrity anyways but i dont know, i just its wrong.

In my opinion from year 1-7 we should teach kids the basics, then from 8 to 12 grade we ask kids what they want to be and teach them that, sort of a vocational school but with more en encouragement and support, etc.

Guest RadarJammer

mother fucking teeth brushing and shit. of course kids know how to take care of their teeth but as they loose baby teeth and get their main set they don't have a fucking clue that one day they won't be brand spanking new

Another one is drugs. Some contries' governments and medias are controlled by drug cartels because of money they get selling drugs in the United States. Some say the United States legalizing drugs would alleviate that problem, and that if drug education were a class in school every year then the population could be safeguarded against the dangers of that. As it is, DARE is better than nothing but falls short of educating people on what drugs really do and are. People internalizing the nature of drugs could make the legalization that would liberate a huge portion of the world feasible.

Kids should be taught to defend the status quo in the face of new ideas.

Seeing how public discourse almost always seems instantly doomed to a petty digression into fallacies, it occurred to me that the logical fallacies being taught in grade school might drastically improve society. I took a college class on logic and it was really cool to learn that it had all been worked out into a system, and that people being wrong in arguments could be objectively determined.

BTW can you give examples of some logical fallacies you've seen recently?

critical thinking.

One half of my students blindly accept everything I say. The other half believe that everything I say is incorrect due to their own held political or other perceptions.

I think if you came out of high school able to do simple math in your head, a decent driver, the ability to meditate for a short time, and with an introduction to problem solving, you could kick ass at almost anything. I think we should also learn basic emotional intelligence and simple strategies for human behavior.

I think it would be cool to run a small [strikeout] school [/strikeout] boc cult

critical thinking.

One half of my students blindly accept everything I say. The other half believe that everything I say is incorrect due to their own held political or other perceptions.

I didn't know you were a teacher. That's rad. What do you teach?

They should be taught to answer even simple questions without being a pussy about it. A pussy who can't answer a simple question ain't worth shit.

also, women's studies should be taught at ALL GRADE LEVELS

lol, one of the biggest can of worms i've seen, this is top notch work dispa.

critical thinking.

I didn't know you were a teacher. That's rad. What do you teach?

can we stop saying "rad" please, the word is dead and you are all grown ups, just stop.

Guest disparaissant

as a women's studies student, i legitimately believe that.

i only think it's necessary because women are, by and large, given unequal time in literally every other subject. fix that, and women's studies as a separate entity will be irrelevant!

ps also rad is a rad word.

Limpy: I teach/taught at a few universities/colleges/community colleges for all sorts of history-related classes. It's really frustrating and ultimately a shame that so many students enter college unprepared with critical thinking and analytical skills, not even considering the worst problem which is having a full command of English.

Limpy: I teach/taught at a few universities/colleges/community colleges for all sorts of history-related classes. It's really frustrating and ultimately a shame that so many students enter college unprepared with critical thinking and analytical skills, not even considering the worst problem which is having a full command of English.

That's rad. And yeah I think high schools are a failure. Most of my teachers found a way to make really interesting stuff boring. For instance, I loved math until I got to high school. I was actually studying to become a teacher but I just kinda succumbed to all the apathy I encountered.

Guest RadarJammer

They should be taught to answer even simple questions without being a pussy about it. A pussy who can't answer a simple question ain't worth shit.

if someone doesn't volunteer personal information about themselves online then the requesting of personal info should stop there

That's rad. And yeah I think high schools are a failure. Most of my teachers found a way to make really interesting stuff boring. For instance, I loved math until I got to high school. I was actually studying to become a teacher but I just kinda succumbed to all the apathy I encountered.

Cool, so how old are you? Limpyloo. How old are you? What's your age? I was wondering how old you are? The answer is simple. Someone who considered being a teacher should be able to answer it. How old are you? :music:

Cool, so how old are you? Limpyloo. How old are you? What's your age? I was wondering how old you are? The answer is simple. Someone who considered being a teacher should be able to answer it. How old are you? :music:

Look, I'm sorry for making jokes about your antisemitism.

I'll suck your dick if that'll make things better. :music:

Look, I'm sorry for making jokes about your antisemitism.

I'll suck your dick if that'll make things better. :music:

antisemitism? Didn't you realise that I have spoken in support of the existence of a Jewish state? I support it. Moshe Dayan is my hero. A Jew is my hero. Did you realise that? I think you didn't. And you keep ignoring a simple question. The question is: "how old are you?" You can't answer such a question? It's not like you can be personally identified via google by revealing your two digit age isn't it? It's not like I'm asking for DOB, address, bank details etc. It's a two digit number. So come on LimpyLoo! How old are you?

Archived