IGNORED

watmm wake up call

jules

Protip: parmesan works surprisingly well grated into an omelette. On the other hand, chorizo isn't as nice as you might imagine. Tends to make the omelette rather greasy.

Chorizo is a deceitful mistress

ProProTip: Use Spanish chorizo (Mexican chorizo tends to be greasy unless it is the super high quality kind), the dried kind - dice it or put it in a food processor to grind it up into a fine dice, then pan fry in it's own oils (don't add any oil; use a non-stick pan and the natural oils in the chorizo will be enough), then drain on a paper towel. When cooking your omlette, add in the fried chorizo - much less grease that way.

non-stick pans are a scam.

I don't mean the old Teflon ones; the new "green" pans are pretty good - although I prefer my Lodge cast-iron skillets to them - a good seasoned cast-iron skillet will NEVER stick if you know how to take care of them properly. I usually tell people use a non-stick pan since most people won't know or go through the trouble with a cast-iron skillet.

cast-iron skillets are great for making steaks if you don't have access to an outdoor grill (or it's too cold outside) combined with an oven.

Pffft you live in Texas. When the hell is it ever too cold to barbeque for you?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Protip: parmesan works surprisingly well grated into an omelette. On the other hand, chorizo isn't as nice as you might imagine. Tends to make the omelette rather greasy.

ProProTip: Use Spanish chorizo (Mexican chorizo tends to be greasy unless it is the super high quality kind), the dried kind - dice it or put it in a food processor to grind it up into a fine dice, then pan fry in it's own oils (don't add any oil; use a non-stick pan and the natural oils in the chorizo will be enough), then drain on a paper towel. When cooking your omlette, add in the fried chorizo - much less grease that way.

I don't mean the old Teflon ones; the new "green" pans are pretty good - although I prefer my Lodge cast-iron skillets to them - a good seasoned cast-iron skillet will NEVER stick if you know how to take care of them properly. I usually tell people use a non-stick pan since most people won't know or go through the trouble with a cast-iron skillet.

cast-iron skillets are great for making steaks if you don't have access to an outdoor grill (or it's too cold outside) combined with an oven.

Pffft you live in Texas. When the hell is it ever too cold to barbeque for you?

:emotawesomepm9:

With the new album and AAA, R+S have succeeded in their mission to subliminally improve hunger and demand for eggs in the morning.

6d64iZ0.jpg

Lots of great tips here. Breakfast subforum pls

yes, cast iron is awesome! i'd like to invest in some skillets, but i need to learn what this seasoning business is about before i make the jump. my ex had one that i used but he never explained the mechanics of it to me. thinking back on it, i hope i didn't accidentally wash it for him.

To get the same non stick for your fried eggs every time, with stainless. Heat some oil up to near smoking point in the pan then turn off the heat and throw the oil out (it's not much), put in some fresh oil let the pan cool down a touch, break in eggs and throw a lid on and let the residual heat of the pan fry the eggs. You'll need a thick bass. Perfect, not too crisp on the bottom, runny. and the atmospheric heat under the lid does the top. Don't be tempted to put spatula under them for the first minute, after that flip it if you like it that way, and even turn the heat back on, to low.

I find if you are doing bacon, do that first and it has the same effect as step one. Still drain off the oil though.

yes, cast iron is awesome! i'd like to invest in some skillets, but i need to learn what this seasoning business is about before i make the jump. my ex had one that i used but he never explained the mechanics of it to me. thinking back on it, i hope i didn't accidentally wash it for him.

Here is all you need to know about how to season cast-iron: http://lifehacker.com/take-complete-care-of-your-cast-iron-with-this-video-gu-1373681383

Archived