IGNORED

watmm wake up call

jules

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only buy ostrich eggs from whole foods market, hard boil em, peel that shit, save the shell for combat, eat on train in front of others

scrambled eggs with milk to make 'em fluffy. salted in the pan. throw it onto a plate after it's done and sprinkle shredded cheese over it. add cholula. consume with some sort of toast.

Protip: parmesan works surprisingly well grated into an omelette. On the other hand, chorizo isn't as nice as you might imagine. Tends to make the omelette rather greasy.

Chorizo is a deceitful mistress

ProProTip: Use Spanish chorizo (Mexican chorizo tends to be greasy unless it is the super high quality kind), the dried kind - dice it or put it in a food processor to grind it up into a fine dice, then pan fry in it's own oils (don't add any oil; use a non-stick pan and the natural oils in the chorizo will be enough), then drain on a paper towel. When cooking your omlette, add in the fried chorizo - much less grease that way.

I like scrambled eggs and hard boiled eggs with Tapatio. I like eggs in my burgers. I do stuff with yolk I shouldn't be doing.

My avatar. I fuck it.

I take it you like eggs?

tumblr_m8xngisy6h1re8n10o1_500.gif

his name is eggs, his avatar is a picture of eggs. it would be a logical conclusion.

i like mine in an omelet with onions and peppers and lots of tommy k. or florentine.

36gow.gif

Protip: parmesan works surprisingly well grated into an omelette. On the other hand, chorizo isn't as nice as you might imagine. Tends to make the omelette rather greasy.

ProProTip: Use Spanish chorizo (Mexican chorizo tends to be greasy unless it is the super high quality kind), the dried kind - dice it or put it in a food processor to grind it up into a fine dice, then pan fry in it's own oils (don't add any oil; use a non-stick pan and the natural oils in the chorizo will be enough), then drain on a paper towel. When cooking your omlette, add in the fried chorizo - much less grease that way.

non-stick pans are a scam.

Two things of note.

Teflon

The pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases[23] and a sublimate. An animal study conducted in 1955 concluded that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F).[24] More recently, however, a study documented birds having been killed by these decomposition products at 202 °C (396 °F), with unconfirmed reports of bird deaths as a result of non-stick cookware heated to as little as 163 °C (325 °F).[23][25]

While PTFE is stable and nontoxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F).[26] These degradation by-products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[26] In May, 2003, the environmental research and advocacy organization Environmental Working Group filed a 14-page brief with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission petitioning for a rule requiring that cookware and heated appliances bearing non-stick coatings carry a label warning of hazards to people and to birds.[27]

Meat is usually fried between 204 and 232 °C (399 and 450 °F), and most oils will start to smoke before a temperature of 260 °C (500 °F) is reached, but there are at least two cooking oils (refined safflower oil and avocado oil) that have a higher smoke point than 260 °C (500 °F). Empty cookware can also exceed this temperature upon heating.

Manufacture of Teflon

Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), also known as C8 and perfluorooctanoate, is a synthetic perfluorinated carboxylic acid and fluorosurfactant. One industrial application is as a surfactant in the emulsion polymerization of fluoropolymers. It has been used in the manufacture of such prominent consumer goods as Teflon and Gore-Tex. PFOA has been manufactured since the 1940s in industrial quantities. It is also formed by the degradation of precursors such as some fluorotelomers.

PFOA persists indefinitely in the environment. It is a toxicant and carcinogen in animals. PFOA has been detected in the blood of more than 98% of the general US population in the low and sub-parts per billion range, and levels are higher in chemical plant employees and surrounding subpopulations. Exposure has been associated with increased cholesterol and uric acid levels, and recently higher serum levels of PFOA were found to be associated with increased risk of chronic kidney disease in the general United States population, consistent with earlier animal studies.[6] "This association was independent of confounders such as age, sex, race/ethnicity, body mass index, diabetes, hypertension, and serum cholesterol level."

hell yes

i like mine in an omelet with onions and peppers and lots of tommy k. or florentine.

who or what is a 'tommy k'? Is florentine, like, 'with spinach'?

who or what is a 'tommy k'?  Is florentine, like, 'with spinach'?

Tommy k is tomato ketchup and yeah basically eggs Florentine is poached eggs with spinach on a muffin.

In hindsight that was pretty obvious, lol. Soz.

I had this great hash of potatoes and carrots and celery and onions and two perfectly fried over easy eggs with a sourdough muffin yesterday. I'm going to go out on a limb now and say that eggs + muffins ('english' muffins, in the US vernacular) are the best thing.

Two things of note.

Teflon

The pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases[23] and a sublimate. An animal study conducted in 1955 concluded that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F).[24] More recently, however, a study documented birds having been killed by these decomposition products at 202 °C (396 °F), with unconfirmed reports of bird deaths as a result of non-stick cookware heated to as little as 163 °C (325 °F).[23][25]

While PTFE is stable and nontoxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F).[26] These degradation by-products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[26] In May, 2003, the environmental research and advocacy organization Environmental Working Group filed a 14-page brief with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission petitioning for a rule requiring that cookware and heated appliances bearing non-stick coatings carry a label warning of hazards to people and to birds.[27]

Meat is usually fried between 204 and 232 °C (399 and 450 °F), and most oils will start to smoke before a temperature of 260 °C (500 °F) is reached, but there are at least two cooking oils (refined safflower oil and avocado oil) that have a higher smoke point than 260 °C (500 °F). Empty cookware can also exceed this temperature upon heating.

Manufacture of Teflon

Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), also known as C8 and perfluorooctanoate, is a synthetic perfluorinated carboxylic acid and fluorosurfactant. One industrial application is as a surfactant in the emulsion polymerization of fluoropolymers. It has been used in the manufacture of such prominent consumer goods as Teflon and Gore-Tex. PFOA has been manufactured since the 1940s in industrial quantities. It is also formed by the degradation of precursors such as some fluorotelomers.

PFOA persists indefinitely in the environment. It is a toxicant and carcinogen in animals. PFOA has been detected in the blood of more than 98% of the general US population in the low and sub-parts per billion range, and levels are higher in chemical plant employees and surrounding subpopulations. Exposure has been associated with increased cholesterol and uric acid levels, and recently higher serum levels of PFOA were found to be associated with increased risk of chronic kidney disease in the general United States population, consistent with earlier animal studies.[6] "This association was independent of confounders such as age, sex, race/ethnicity, body mass index, diabetes, hypertension, and serum cholesterol level."

that's really scary because i think all of my mom's pans are non-stick.

edit: i did some research and i can't find what calphalon use for their non-stick pans anywhere. i hope it's not teflon. they say their pans are PFOA-free but who knows.

non-stick pans are a scam.

I don't mean the old Teflon ones; the new "green" pans are pretty good - although I prefer my Lodge cast-iron skillets to them - a good seasoned cast-iron skillet will NEVER stick if you know how to take care of them properly. I usually tell people use a non-stick pan since most people won't know or go through the trouble with a cast-iron skillet.

cast-iron skillets are great for making steaks if you don't have access to an outdoor grill (or it's too cold outside) combined with an oven.

Two things of note.

Teflon

Manufacture of Teflon

edit: i did some research and i can't find what calphalon use for their non-stick pans anywhere. i hope it's not teflon. they say their pans are PFOA-free but who knows.

I've switched to stainless steel cookware and I think the cleanup time is actually quicker, as long as you apply a little force. If necessary, soak for a few minutes. So, like, you have to add a tiny bit of olive oil. The food ends up tasting better. And decent stainless stuff is fairly cheep.

After a few years of use, the teflon stuff would always start to peel or scratch off (and I was careful about not using metal utensils to stir, etc). I'd rather apply a bit of the precautionary principal to stuff I use every single day.

Cast Iron obviously tastes the best, but it's a bit of a minor inconvenience to use/expensive.

Anyone ever tried kaya toast?

Basically just do up some thick white bread, buttered, and toasted in a pan so it's not too crispy. Either make or buy some kaya spread (it's like a coconut custard from SE Asia). Spread that on the toast and make sandwiches.

Then, get some dark soy sauce. You might have to go to a SE Asian specialty grocer to get dark soy sauce. It's not regular soy sauce. Fry an egg over easy or soft boil an egg so it's nice and runny, and plate. Break the egg apart a bit, and dash the dark soy sauce on the broken egg. There's probably some more seasoning to put on the egg but I forget. NOW DIP THE KAYA TOAST YOU MADE IN THE FUCKING EGG/SOY SAUCE. EAT THAT. HOLY SHIT.

Two things of note.

Teflon

Manufacture of Teflon

I've switched to stainless steel cookware and I think the cleanup time is actually quicker, as long as you apply a little force. If necessary, soak for a few minutes. So, like, you have to add a tiny bit of olive oil. The food ends up tasting better. And decent stainless stuff is fairly cheep.

After a few years of use, the teflon stuff would always start to peel or scratch off (and I was careful about not using metal utensils to stir, etc). I'd rather apply a bit of the precautionary principal to stuff I use every single day.

Cast Iron obviously tastes the best, but it's a bit of a minor inconvenience to use/expensive.

I actually got my Lodge cast-iron skillets (one 8" and two 10") at a garage sale - I could tell they were well cared for and seasoned properly, so I got the set of them for probably 20 bucks. Consider how expensive stainless steel skillets can be, cast-iron (I think) is cheaper in the long run, and you get better results.

Archived