IGNORED

vst effect for BASS

YEK

One of my favs is Waves RBass... Actually, a nice option is to use a saturator/distortion plug in.. like PSP Vintage Warmer or Izotope Trash... Fuck around with the values, until you can find a warm, powerful low end setting, and then mix it into taste, by using a send to effect the original track. Usually works wonders for me. Sometimes all you need is a tiny bit.

EQ to boost the low frequencies to make a sound more bassy, but your request is a strange one yek. Generally speaking it's the programming that makes a bassline resemble a bassline not necessarily the sound used. There's no magic bullet in the form of an instrument or effect that will make anything "more" like a bassline. for me, an effective bassline is one that encompasses groove and also rhythmic qualities - it should augment your drum beat and also act as as counterpoint to it. I'd try listening to some classic funk records or hip hop for inspiration, something like that...ain't no instrument gonna give you the funk unless you got it in the first place.

ok, good points and helpful info. it's just that i'm starting to use hardware again and i have nothing really bass sounding. and bassline was the wrong thing to say. cheers for the help bros

Guest Wall Bird

I second Waves RBass. Definitely RBass. It will synthesize low end on sounds where there was none. Really powerful and super easy to use. Adding low end in this manner has a way of making your sounds become very vivid ala sound of film and some contemporary pop music.

i thought rbass actually synthesized harmonics, which are above the frequency of your original bass signal, meaning that you have to have some bass for it to work and it just enhances whats there. synthesizing bass that isn't there would take something like a sub-octaver type thing that creates a duplicate of your sound an octave lower, and i'm pretty sure rbass doesn't do that. it adds stuff above (freq-wise) the bass. i think the idea is partly for playback that might be on a system without a subwoofer or good bass reproduction, so you're essentially shifting some of that low bass energy up higher where the speakers can better reproduce it. but its basically just a harmonic exciter specifically aimed at bass.

anyway, another thing that could help with bass is a multiband compressor, which you could use to compress just the bass freqs, so that they have a consistent level.

i guess you could also look into one of those sub-octaver dealies. THOSE actually generate lower bass that wasn't there. there are lots of guitar pedals that do that type of thing, and they work to various degrees from what i understand, but i've seen it said that when they don't track the pitch exactly it can still be a cool sound...

i thought rbass actually synthesized harmonics, which are above the frequency of your original bass signal, meaning that you have to have some bass for it to work and it just enhances whats there. synthesizing bass that isn't there would take something like a sub-octaver type thing that creates a duplicate of your sound an octave lower, and i'm pretty sure rbass doesn't do that. it adds stuff above (freq-wise) the bass. i think the idea is partly for playback that might be on a system without a subwoofer or good bass reproduction, so you're essentially shifting some of that low bass energy up higher where the speakers can better reproduce it. but its basically just a harmonic exciter specifically aimed at bass.

Wasn't that waves maxbass, with the whole phantom bass shebang?

After being happy enough with the mixing, you could also pull all the sliders down a notch except for the bass track, boommm mo emphasis on bass :cisfor: .

Wasn't that waves maxbass, with the whole phantom bass shebang?

Exactly

EDIT:

Wait, apparently, Renaissance Bass uses the same psycho-acoustic technology as MaxxBass... hmmm..

"Renaissance Bass delivers richer, deeper lows that sound great on any system. Using Waves patented MaxxBass® psycho-acoustic technology, Renaissance Bass makes tightening up the low end easier than ever, thanks to its simple, intuitive controls."

...I'm lost.

Anyway fuckit, if you want to add some "umpf" to your tracks then go for either Renaissance Bass or MaxxBass from Waves.

Anything that says "psycho-acoustic" actually takes out low-end and adds information further up the harmonic series to give the illusion of having the same amount of low-end. It's intended to make tunes have more low-end on things like iPad speakers.

Anything that says "sub" synthesizers low end down in the 50hz-ish range.

...I think.

yek - what kind of bass are you looking to make? like hardcore drum and bass bass, wobby dubstep bass, acid bass, funk bass? also, what hardware you got? you still got the RM1x? should be hella different bass possibilities with that...

yek - what kind of bass are you looking to make? like hardcore drum and bass bass, wobby dubstep bass, acid bass, funk bass? also, what hardware you got? you still got the RM1x? should be hella different bass possibilities with that...

basic bass. i'm trying an experimental setup with a casio sk-1 (sampling radio) and a drum machine.

edit : i'll probably get a volca bass or something similar in the future

basic bass. i'm trying an experimental setup with a casio sk-1 (sampling radio) and a drum machine.

Long live the Casio Sk-1. My SK-5 is one of my favorite instruments in the universe. So gritty and simple and amazing.

Honestly, just try some heavy compression. That should pull out the bass in your sample(s).

also i'd suggest the diy ableton approach: get an audio effect rack, create two chains with filters on em one HP one LP like a crossover. chuck some compression / distortion on the low pass chain to beef up the bass. i guess you don't need the high pass filter on the other chain, i'm just a little careful when it comes to layering low frequencies.

Yeah great idea. That's the tried-and-true way of adding bass to samples that's been around since the early days of hip-hop.

Long live the Casio Sk-1. My SK-5 is one of my favorite instruments in the universe. So gritty and simple and amazing.

Honestly, just try some heavy compression. That should pull out the bass in your sample(s).

yo, limpy. what's the dif between the sk-1 and 5? seconds and /or quality?

edit: there's also an sk-10

just curious

what drum machine is it yek? you could probably sample something from that (kick or low tom etc), mangle it and sequence it to create some nice bass....

what drum machine is it yek? you could probably sample something from that (kick or low tom etc), mangle it and sequence it to create some nice bass....

505 for now but a volca beats i'm waiting for

yo, limpy. what's the dif between the sk-1 and 5? seconds and /or quality?

edit: there's also an sk-10

just curious

Sk-5 remembers the samples when u turn it off

It might also have more sample time

And it's lacking a couple presets that the sk-1 has

The sk-10 is a pain in the ass

I think it's just an sk-5 without an output so you have to mic the thing

There's also an sk-8

I forget wat that does

And then there's the whole Yamaha vss line

If you like the sk-1 you should get a vss-200

505 for now but a volca beats i'm waiting for

hmmm, yeah neither would be ideal for sampling and turning into a bass patch, but the volca beats may be usable if you sampled the kick with maximum delay into the sk-1 then played the samples up and down the keys to form your bassline...

Archived