IGNORED

Fruityloops goes Plogue Bidule/Buzz style

awepittance

Minihost Modular is a modular environment for hosting/interconnecting VST/AU plugins based on a custom modular engine especially developed for this purpose. As a standalone, Minihost Modular can be used as an advanced VST or AU host with modular routing with some sequencing recording/playback capabilities. As a VST or AU plugin, Minihost Modular can be used to extend the capabilities of your existing DAW software with its powerful modular, recallable, environment. Minihost Modular bares some similarities to FL Studio's Patcher but has an extended capability as a self contained host.

Beta out now for people with a image-line forum login ( i think all you have to do is register) but is Windows only, Mac OSX version planned but no beta yet for that platform

what I really wish is for a modular host which treats VSTS like it were a real modular, so you could modulate a param with an oscillator and such. i.e all parameters have an input that will accept an audio signal

what I really wish is for a modular host which treats VSTS like it were a real modular, so you could modulate a param with an oscillator and such. i.e all parameters have an input that will accept an audio signal

did you try Usine?..does exactly that...and Usine 5 Stage is free at the moment..

http://www.sensomusic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=28755#p28755

1391348607054-77382.png

holy shit didn't know Usine could do that, wow! Full multi touch integration and this. Very impressed. is Usine 5 stage the free version?

Usine 5 is the predecessor of Usine Hollyhock/6. The Stage version is just downsized in terms of inputs/outputs/tracks(16/16/8), but otherwise fully functional unlike the free version, which doesn't allow patching.

Usine Hollyhock Pro (would be version 6) is the latest version with all features.

Usine Hollyhock Free is the latest version but limited and with no patching capabilities. You can use the included modules/patches, but can't generate and/or edit patches.

Usine 5 Stage is the previous version, just slightly limited in terms of in/outs/tracks compared to Usine 5 Pro and free at the moment.

http://www.sensomusic.com/wiki2/doku.php?id=hollyhock:comparison_chart

..to be honest, Usine Hollyhock has still some way to go, but the development cycles are rather short and updates pop up quite regularly. They did change the whole workflow quite a bit though..

did you try Usine?..does exactly that...and Usine 5 Stage is free at the moment..

http://www.sensomusic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=28755#p28755

1391348607054-77382.png

I apologize if I`m wrong but I don`t think it "does exactly that" - as far as I can see what it does is just a basic parameter modulation, all of my hosts can do that, Renoise, Reaper, Bidule...I think what Ragnar means is something like CV modulation or whatever it`s called on modular synths

I guess it generally depends on what was used to compile it - probably something done on Synthedit might be moderately easy to tweak but I reckon the more high profile VSTs would have a lot of obfuscated code making it pretty darn tricky to decompile and reverse engineer. I guess it's kinda similar to say the pin i/o of a chip: you know what data is going in and you know what data is coming out - but the bit in-between can be as simple or as complicated as the author makes out.

That's not to say it can't be done, just that it's a similar situation to regular cracking of a compiled bit of software.

Ableton can using this -

And I think Buzz can with this route: audio source -> peertrig -> peeradsr (mapped to the relevant VST parameter)

an envelope follower would probably provide more functional results than simply being able to patch anything into anything, I have a eurorack modular synth and often times just willy nilly patching an audio straight into a CV jack has totally unusable results and mostly sounds the same everytime. More often i will use an envelope follower or slew generator with an audio signal going into it to create useful results.

It'd be kinda cool for elaborate FM setups though, yeah?

And I think Buzz can with this route: audio source -> peertrig -> peeradsr (mapped to the relevant VST parameter)

oh man those Peer Control machines are great. That said, I only ever used PeerLFO but it was pretty awesome.

Ableton can using this -

It`s not the same, modulation by envelope follower is not the same as modulation by oscillator...you guys, come on you guys...

I was referring to the 'all parameters have an input that will accept an audio signal' bit of Ragnar's quote.

If you want something specifically oscillator based -

lfo_20_for_blog.png__359x190_q85_crop_up

Ah ok, sorry, I thought that you were saying that using envelope follower is the same as using an oscillator as a modulation source...and I wasn`t talking about low frequency oscillators either...ok, I`ll take a coat, feel like I`m getting too ocd about all this.

The name of that Max4Live tool is a bit of a misnomer - It's not for generating low frequency oscillators, it's for using them (and other non-sinusoidal waveforms) to oscillate values of a mapped parameter (or 'modulation by oscillator' as you put it). And despite being an LFO it can oscillate parameters to kilohertz (well as high as it allows, and if it's not high enough just alter the maximum value in Max)

Cool beans. Ok, let`s get the thread back on track, tried minihost and while I have Bidule which is like zillion times more powerful, I can see that this is super nice freebee...I would use it inside Bidule just for the piano roll alone (Bidules step sequencer sucks bad), but I don`t like that right now it doesn`t start playing in sync with host transport, you have to trigger it via midi to start it but looks like maybe that`s a part of the design, instead of patterns you have to trigger zones via midi...also automation, why can`t it just be sent out through midi out node if I`m using midi CC cause adding automation node doesn`t update number of outputs outside the minihost, at least not in Bidule, no sorting of vsts also is a bitch, no difference if it`s an instrument or fx, I get a huge list...but it is really slick and sexy, will definitely follow development, it has potential to become a quite unique tool. Oh yeah, seperate left/right audio routing also would be nice.

i think a master play button and master volume control are the first things they are going to add in subsequent updates. Glad you checked it out, i havent had a chance to yet. Does it let you load fruityloops instruments and objects in the modular chains?

I don`t have FL so cannot say if minihost supports instruments from it but damn that piano roll is sweet...it`s just a pleasure to draw notes in it, been a long time Renoise user and use Reaper only for audio so having a go with a piano roll so nice is something new to me. Looks like they really got that thing right in FL, I`m jealous.

Archived