IGNORED

LimpyLoo's Microwave Joints

LimpyLoo

too short, maybe too much reverb, thought the second snippit could use some real (sub) bass layered underneath, but potential is there.

You're really good at breaks and bass lines! I liked the first snippet as well and think it has a right amount of reverb. Did you play the bass?

I always dig the things you post, keep them coming!

Hey thanks for the words, y'all.

too short,

I'm working on a beat-tape of minute-long tunes. They are going to continue to be this length (and probably have the same amount of reverb).

You're really good at breaks and bass lines! I liked the first snippet as well and think it has a right amount of reverb. Did you play the bass?

Thanks, mate. Yeah I played the bass on the first tune.

• 2 weeks later...

all 3 tracks so far-

i like the grit

i like the loose feel of the performances/timings of the different elements

i like them as they are, even if sparse in spots, if its for a tape of a bunch of 1 minute tracks, which i also think is a cool idea (i'm not too hip or savvy to the goings on of the various scenes but i've heard of this concept being done by some small tape labels out there and i like the idea and think its cool and that a tape full of nice chill beats and stuff would be cool)

i think the verb on the first one works too (it could work with less, but i think its ok as it is), for that type of format of tape beats, for some of the tracks to get a bit deeper in the ambience

good stuf

hey thanks, mate

I've never made a full beat-tape before

it's a common affair over at SP-Forums

where they get down and dirty with nothing but a turntable and an SP-202

and a VCR to master down to

real diehards over there

cool jams LL, really like that second one.

degenamor's guitar part is a bit too noodly for me (kinda weird elevator-music juxtaposition over that hip hop beat? i dunno. neat ideas tho)

degenamor's guitar part is a bit too noodly for me (kinda weird elevator-music juxtaposition over that hip hop beat? i dunno. neat ideas tho)

Dunno.

I mean, I listen to stuff like the Roots, Tortoise, Isotope 217, Squarepusher, Chris Dave & the Drumheadz, etc so it makes sense to me I guess. :shrug:

What is this-- DJ Shadow - Onclements?

Well, here is some actual constructive criticism and random babbling regarding your diddiez:

First off, these are pretty good. But iiIiiIIIi dunno about a tape of these... --Ok- I listened for like the 10th time, and I suppose these do work for a such a tape. BUT THEN-- but then, imagine you actually do put these on a tape, with like 1.5 hours worth. What does the end result feel like? ...a sample tape (CD). Ouch. That, is somewhat unfortunate, because these are some vibin' mini-tracks.

Conceptually- you might be able to up the art wankery points, by releasing these on a locked groove vinyl, so then people could play these in the background, or use them for DJ tech battles and whatnot.

Still... no.

You are obviously talented with vibe and got your groove goin' on with these tracks, so I just gotta say-- you're being fucking lazy, mang. Being able to do these mini tracks and not make fully fleshed-out tracks, is an insult to those who actually write shitty 5 minute tracks with effort. These are really good, and they could totally be awesome *actual* tracks. Like, seriously man. What the fuck.

Here is something a friend and I collab'd on in like 2003:

spy bit

We were influenced muchly by the sampling scene, but wanted to write the music, and loop our own music to pretend it was sampled. Also, the samples in the intro are us (pretending to be a film or someshit). Anyway- the vibe and track are pretty good. But you know what? Nobody gives a shit, because fucking nobody heard that shit, because it's a fucking ditty, and nobody cares about ditties, even if they are conceptually IDM and musically pretty good. People WOULD care, if it were a finished track and if it were part of an album or something, but alas, the snippet just rests on an inaccessible part of my website.

JU GET HWAT I'MSAYIN'?!

Don't let your dittiez fall in the same creative ditch as our spy and go go project that nobody's even fucking heard of..... For the sake of people who care about music, write solid tracks, and then make people go WHOA, instead of just WH'.

OR, your whole tape idea might work. Haha... I dunno.

Archived