IGNORED

Quiltland - Sisto (Astro Dynamics)

fumi

I found her stuff last year on Youtube when I was looking for videos of Gia Carangi (an 80s supermodel who sadly died of AIDS). I loved Gia's look - but that's a non-WATMM concern.

Anway, Quiltland has put out her debut (I think) album.

There is some good work on here - especially the 30 minute collection of 'Fides'.

It's not all to my taste but I can see why AD signed her - she's certainly got that special something.

Previews on Bleep - and a cassette edition too.

https://bleep.com/release/51938-quiltland-sisto

Regards

Yeah, I ordered the cassette. I emailed AD because the bandcamp page says the digital downloads go out on the 16th (two days ago) but the guy at AD said that was incorrect. It won't be for another week or so before they mail out the links.

I don't know why but I think this is another AD artist to watch.

With 1991 Remix.

jsSroizf.jpg

Regards

Damn that looks slick. I had found Quitland via the 1991 remix uploaded earlier this month. Good stuff.

Sisto is really good, it's harkening earlier electronic music in a very interesting and engaging way rather than just rehashing the aesthetics of late 80s/early 90s rave.

The tape looks nice - looks like AD has gotten better at cassette packaging. I have to admit I was letdown by a rather cheap (non-cardstock printed paper) j-card I found in an earlier Astro:Dynamics release, Lotide's Moonless, especially since I ordered it from across the pond. That said the music and quality of tape itself was good.

The tapes are already sold-out at Boomkat. AD still have some maybe.

The tape inlay is good: Like some faded photo of a 80s/90s diva who never quite made it.

Boomkat's description of this album is way off. They've even got the artist's gender wrong. Her name is: Frida-Li Lovgren

My description of these two releases:

Occasional sequencer patterns that recall a longing for mid 90s rave dystopia; Julee Cruise (Twin Peaks), the ghost of Propaganda (their final 1990 album - '1234'), ambient sections of 1980s Art Of Noise and the occasional elegiac, faded melancholy of Basinski.

It's the kind of thing they would have played for Haute Couture fashion shows in the early 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone with the Sisto tape have a bunch of clicking (almost vinyl-esque?). just wondering if this was normal/intended. it sounds intentional....it's a bit of a brainbug to my ears. i love the material otherwise.

I've never listened to the tape. I didn't notice anything at all with the digital release - except that it's maybe my favourite album of the year so far.

Did you get it from Bandcamp?

just bought the tape, look forward to listening, shame it doesnt come with the 1991 remix. cant wait for new 1991

The 1991 remix is on her debut album. Sisto is her second release.

I looked at Sisto here: http://bit.ly/1mKknJc

Kind Regards

• 2 months later...

Had a listen to this again today. Still ties with Persistence of Vision and Reach Prints as my favorite album of the year (so far).

If you like atmospheric but quite melodic music with a somewhat washed out 80's (to my ears) feel - you should check it out.

• 4 months later...

Not sure how I stumbled upon Quiltland today, but I ordered a copy of the s/t album just now and am listening to the Sisto release over on Bandcamp. I'm a little late on this one I know, but this artist needs more exposure I think. Great stuff here. Hazy as fuck on the debut album, and really laid back and beautiful without being dull. Just what I've been looking for lately. The cassette release of Sisto is a little more technical and maybe more interesting but I love both.

Archived