IGNORED

Recording performance videos for youtube

modey

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting into recording some of my improvisations/live set takes as video instead of just audio, and putting them on youtube. I'm able to record everything to a satisfactory level of quality (ie. video and audio with separate devices), but when it comes to actually compiling/editing the video file I can't seem to figure out how to get the file small enough, or at least figure out how to not have it take two hours to render out of Reaper.. I mean, I'm on a 2009 macbook pro at home but surely a 10 minute video should render in less than that?

Is there a more elegant/efficient video export solution that I'm totally missing out on?

I.. don't even know. Thanks for the tip though, I'll have a look into it! I guess it doesn't have to be the best quality, but considering I'll be recording audio direct and using it with the video from my camera I might as well go for whatever will give me best audio quality.

Is there anything quicker than Reaper for compressing video? I probably have access to some Adobe software for it if need be. I guess I could always try to compress/upload at work on our super awesome macs but it'd be nice to have a solution for home too.

Guest bitroast

i was using final cut pro x for a bit for video editing/exporting, etc.

can vouch that exporting takes literally forever especially for anything 10+ minutes.. at least, from my experience using 2010 macbook pro. hour or two for 10 minute video seems about right.. this is from few year ago memory mind but.. yes,, exporting takes forever. would normally start go off and do something in background.

final cut pro x, btw. is pretty much iMovie to tell you the fucken truth. the most recent version of iMovie was severely crippled and stripped back from previous versions and then apple bought out final cut pro and bang! latest version of final cut pro at that time was pretty much identical to what the free with osx iMovie used to do. which was fine for me, being a video editing consumer noob but can understand why it got so much negative reaction.

Buy a cheap Gopro copy like the SJCAM S4000 and get a bent copy of Final Cut Pro X from the usual torrent sites. Record the audio on your usual device then you then record your set on the S4000 using the on board mic's and get a nice wide angle shot of all you kit whist trying to avoid any obvious crotch shot if stood up. Final Cut pro has a feature that will sync the video and shitty audio from the camera to the decent audio from your audio recording then simply mute the shitty audio track and render.

When combining audio and video, what takes time are video compression algorithms ( audio is trivial ), that's why my advice would be to use Xvid encapsulation which still rules the quality/size/encoding time ratio, not to mention MPEG4 will be a broadcast standard soon...

You can give a go to "after effects cs.whatevayawant" for exporting your video as it's really faster than any classic editing software, esp. when you want to optimize filesize vs quality for small projects like these.

When combining audio and video, what takes time are video compression algorithms ( audio is trivial ), that's why my advice would be to use Xvid encapsulation which still rules the quality/size/encoding time ratio, not to mention MPEG4 will be a broadcast standard soon...

You can give a go to "after effects cs.whatevayawant" for exporting your video as it's really faster than any classic editing software, esp. when you want to optimize filesize vs quality for small projects like these.

Ah nice, that's the kind of advice I was after, thanks!

i would use a video recording program like Screenflow to record your 'jams' in Reaper instead. What exactly are you trying to record in Reaper btw? Like a Vsnares style just continuous flow of your tracker session? When you said 'performance' iin the thread I figured you meant recording yourself with a monomachine or something.

Yeah, monomachine jams essentially. Just using reaper to record the audio direct, and then sync the video over the top. I mean, I could use anything for the audio recording, but I just figured that since reaper can do some crude video editing it would be enough for making some mostly unedited monomachine videos. I'm just wondering if people who record regular videos with proper audio have to spend hours rendering their videos before uploading, every time.

Yeah, monomachine jams essentially. Just using reaper to record the audio direct, and then sync the video over the top. I mean, I could use anything for the audio recording, but I just figured that since reaper can do some crude video editing it would be enough for making some mostly unedited monomachine videos. I'm just wondering if people who record regular videos with proper audio have to spend hours rendering their videos before uploading, every time.

not long my my i7 quad core macbook, much shorter than the length of the video.

720p, H.264-- yah, it's gonna take a long time unless you're from the future. 1080p, longer. One way to get the shortest render times is to use the least amount of post-processing plugins as possible. In some sort of idealistic shooting situation, you could have perfect lighting and shit like diffusers and reflectors, so no post would be necessary. Simultaneous contrast type plugins especially take a long time to render (those that lighten shadows, darken lights, and add midtone contrast all at once). A quick sharpen type plugin is faster to render than unsharp mask (but doesn't allow as much control over which details to accentuate). Likewise, quick blur plugins are faster than gaussian or lens blur.

The benefit of using H.264 is that YouTube can use it to not have to re-compress files, which keeps quality high at the exported resolution and framerate.

Another reason for render times has to do with starting format. For example, some formats like AVCHD take a long ass time to export into your intermediate or final format, because it's designed for shooting; not really working on directly.

If you aim for 720 or 1080p ( which I didn't assume at first) then, I have to join peace7, u'll get easiest, better results with H.264 with a fixed target birate than the Xvid I mentionned earlier.

Archived