IGNORED

Failure - The Heart Is a Monster

Anyone else stoked about this? Failure were one of the most creative and original rock bands to come out of the 90's, and have been a huge influence on me musically (always loved their obtuse chord changes). They recently posted a new song on Soundcloud that's got me especially excited for the new album. Check here for the song + more info: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-failures-mulholland-dr-from-first-album-since-1996-20150601?page=2

Fantastic Planet's the album that's often heralded as their masterpiece, but Magnified has some of their best songs. This one embodies everything I love about Failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUN3iTgshVg

^ Cool chord progression in the above track! The middle 8 melody is especially cool.

Not heard them before this but I recall you mentioning them. I think they reformed recently?

Yep, this will be their first album in almost 20 years. They broke up because heroin.

That voice sounds very familiar... was he in a different band previously?

Well Failure were active in the mid 90's, and got a little bit of radio traction with the song Stuck On You... which is about an annoyingly catchy song on the radio that the singer can't get out of his head, so it's appropriate. But Ken Andrews has been active as singer/guitarist/producer in various bands since, like Year of the Rabbit, Replicants, On, his solo stuff, Digital Noise Acedemby (which I've never heard). He's also been quite influential, so there are no doubt a few vocalists out there aping his style.

I love their 3 albums, very much looking forward to it. But as with all reunion albums, I'm limiting my expectations.

Most of the reunion albums I've heard in the last three years have been among the best albums of those artists, so my expectations are about the same as they'd be for any artist I've loved over the years. It'll probably be very good. Quite good even.

I love their 3 albums, very much looking forward to it. But as with all reunion albums, I'm limiting my expectations.

Most of the reunion albums I've heard in the last three years have been among the best albums of those artists, so my expectations are about the same as they'd be for any artist I've loved over the years. It'll probably be very good. Quite good even.

Interesting. What are these albums, out of curiosity? When I made that statement I was thinking about rock bands, as I likely wouldn't have the same reservations with electronic artists coming out of hiatus. But with rock, when vocals and lyrics are involved, it's easy for newer material to just not feel as authentic or have the same energy as their initial releases.

Specifically, Primus - Green Naugahyde, Faith No More - Sol Invictus, Soundgarden - King Animal, My Bloody Valentine. The new Smashing Pumpkins stuff while not great was still better than I expected... but it's really just another Billy Corgan solo project, not a SP reunion. It's been a while since I've heard a terrible reunion album. Never bothered checking out the new Pink Floyd though. I hear that's bad.

Specifically, Primus - Green Naugahyde, Faith No More - Sol Invictus, Soundgarden - King Animal, My Bloody Valentine. The new Smashing Pumpkins stuff while not great was still better than I expected... but it's really just another Billy Corgan solo project, not a SP reunion. It's been a while since I've heard a terrible reunion album. Never bothered checking out the new Pink Floyd though. I hear that's bad.

And don't forget Portishead... Fuckin' Thirrrrrrrd maaaaaaaaan!!1

And don't forget Portishead... Fuckin' Thirrrrrrrd maaaaaaaaan!!1

Oh yeah! That's actually one of my favorite albums of all time, and my favorite Portishead. Of course I'd forget the best reunion of all.

So far I'm not too impressed with the new Faith No More - and I've been a huge Mike Patton and FNM fan since about 89. Then again I've only listened to it once so far. I haven't really been into Primus since Pork Soda (tried another one about 5 years ago but wasn't into it). Haven't cared about Soundgarden since Superunknown, that goes for Cornell's solo stuff and Audioslave too. I have been meaning to check out the recent Smashing Pumpkins stuff but have many other things ahead of it in the queue. Pixies' new one I haven't listened to, but I did listen to the 2 or 3 EPs and only liked a couple songs. I should give the whole thing a listen though. Portishead and My Bloody Valentine were pretty good, but neither band was ever a favorite so it was hard to be disappointed.

Either way, I am definitely excited about this new Failure album, as well as the new Refused album, I'm just keeping my expectations reasonable, and hope to be impressed.

Just getting *heavily* into Dead Can Dance and am working through chronologically. They have a reunion album as well from 2012 released something like 16 years after the previous one but I haven't gotten that far yet.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got around to playing this album the other day, and I'm impressed! it honestly felt like they never stopped and this came right after their last. A lot of times reunion albums are missing the soul of the original releases, but this didn't seem to based on my first listen. I'll probably spin it again today.

• 5 years later...

The album with the really long title that came out after this one is also quite excellent.  I heard it once when it came out, then forgot about it for no good reason whatsoever.  Finally listened again today, loved it, and happened to see this posted in my fb feed tonight:

Pretty cool coincidence.

Archived