IGNORED

Avoiding indoctrination by music theory

zlemflolia

even if you learn everything, you will still mess up, and that mistake will be your 'style'

100%.

This is also why In my opinion a deliberate search for a unique style is kind of a waste of energy (except insofar as you might come up with some new ideas or insights or techniques along the way that you wouldn't have otherwise, but that's true of almost any approach). No matter what you do it is inevitably going to sound like you doing that thing at that time, and I think it's more efficient to just do what you enjoy at the time and trust that it's going to be uniquely yours no matter what you do.

Anyway I was in here because I just watched this video and it made me think of this thread:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even if you learn everything, you will still mess up, and that mistake will be your 'style'

100%.

This is also why In my opinion a deliberate search for a unique style is kind of a waste of energy (except insofar as you might come up with some new ideas or insights or techniques along the way that you wouldn't have otherwise, but that's true of almost any approach). No matter what you do it is inevitably going to sound like you doing that thing at that time, and I think it's more efficient to just do what you enjoy at the time and trust that it's going to be uniquely yours no matter what you do.

Anyway I was in here because I just watched this video and it made me think of this thread:

This is an interesting video but fairly unrelated. The difference is that chess is far more objective, there is an obvious winner. With music, you can study 4 years of theory and can freely choose when to follow closely to theory or to go outside, like free jazz. The subjectivity of music allows for a lot more freedom than chess

Will learning take away some of the magic of already existing music

"Oh, this only sounds this way because it's (x) mixed with (y) and (z)"

I really don't understand how anyone can think this would be detrimental. My earliest exposure to electronic music was with tracker module files; I used to watch them as they played, amazed at the artist's composition and channel handling skills. I don't think I would have enjoyed them nearly as much if I'd heard them without seeing the source.

Throughout middle and highschool I learned a lot of theory, especially stuff to do with jazz because I was playing trombone. Aside from that I did some basic counterpoint, overtones studies, etc. Just random fun stuff. Whatever interested me.

It's only ever helped me.

IIt'll only add to your arsenal. You don't need it. But it's not a negative. I don't get why people get so hung up on this stuff.

Yeah, I'm surprised this discussion is still going on really. Interesting to hear the other view points though.

I can't wait to have the time to lose myself in a book of well explained practical theory stuff, I remember the feeling I got when I realised I could play the pentatonic all over the guitar neck and could basically solo over any song I wanted with some degree of feel and melody. That was really exciting and thrilling.

If I could do that over the piano in loads of mad modes etc and make chords easily I'd be even happier. Embrace it I say....only opens new doors of expression.

Archived